• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hmm this could be good SteamGAF

Renoir
renoir_city3_concept_1080p.png

Ozium

I kind of want to get Besiege, but I'm afraid it will go on sale or be bundled soon.... I know they are raising the price with more content, but... what if there is a SEAL before that time?

what do

Madn

I finished Words for Evil.
The goal of the game is to spell words like in the phone game ruzzle and by doing so you hit the enemies. When you kill them you gain gold which you can use to heal or buy weapons and armor.
The main problem is that just like in ruzzle you end up spelling whatever looks like a word as you want to be as fast as possible, without really looking for words you know. I was randomly putting three letters together hoping it would work and I got better results than when I was using words I knew.
There were also some mini games in-between fights and I enjoyed those a lot more. In these you had to either use all the letters that were given to you to create a list of words or pick one letter for each row to make a word.
When you lose all your HP you have a last chance to come back by spelling an anagram. The more letters you use, the better the results (you die but still hit the enemy, you heal for half or you heal completely). As there are many possible answers the game also gives you another solution after your entry, with it's definition taken from the dictionary

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I kind of want to get Besiege, but I'm afraid it will go on sale or be bundled soon.... I know they are raising the price with more content, but... what if there is a SEAL before that time?

what do

When in doubt, buy. Better safe than sorry!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did you really just shell out for the game? or did you find it for cheap from somewhere?

babythrowingmoney.gif

Edit: I'll mention again that the DDE actually includes the pre-order incentives by default, so those on the fence can choose to buy it later without being concerned about potentially missing out on content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder where this will lead...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/15728/

With today's Steamworks SDK update, we've released The Steam Inventory Service beta, a new feature available to developers with games or software on Steam. The Steam Inventory Service is a set of new Steamworks APIs and tools that allow a game to enable persistent items that have been purchase or unlocked by individual users without having to run special servers to keep track of these user's inventory.

With this service, a game can easily drop items to customers based on playtime or can grant items based on specific situations or actions within the game. These items can be marked as tradable through Steam or sellable via the Steam Marketplace. Developers can also configure recipes for crafting different combinations of items that result in more rare, unique, or valuable items.

This new service adds to the list of APIs available for free to Steamworks developers, including achievements, cloud saves, authentication services, error reporting, leaderboards, matchmaking, Steam Workshop, peer-to-peer networking, in-game overlay, downloadable content, and much more.

Ozium

Neither do I, but it seemed like the thing to say.

Wall russet.

a wall russet is a potato mounted on a wall

seems they want devs to not use their own systems for loot and other nonsense and use valve's instead. Guessing they would like to have those f2p-like games exclusive to steam instead of coming to steam when the well starts drying up elsewhere.

well seeing as how utter incompetent the devs of Primal Carnage: Extinction are regarding their loot servers (and how myself, Kurt Russel, and others on the steam forums were never getting drops because of reasons..) I am glad.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
it sounds like a built-in system for loot drops ala CSGO/TF2 ??

nice

Yeah, it gives developers and publishers the option to allow in-game items to be stored in the user's Steam inventory.

The reason I'm worried about it catching on is that Steam's inventory system was originally made for like 4 games tops, and adding additional games to the mix will result in some hilariously bad UI unless they fix it up properly.

seems they want devs to not use their own systems for loot and other nonsense and use valve's instead. Guessing they would like to have those f2p-like games exclusive to steam instead of coming to steam when the well starts drying up elsewhere.

Also, because the items can be traded through the Steam Marketplace, Valve gets a slice of that pie.

a wall russet is a potato mounted on a wall

Steam has a long and storied history with potatoes.
Yeah, it gives developers and publishers the option to allow in-game items to be stored in the user's Steam inventory.

The reason I'm worried about it catching on is that Steam's inventory system was originally made for like 4 games tops, and adding additional games to the mix will result in some hilariously bad UI unless they fix it up properly.

That's a really good (and terrifying) observation... oh dear.

Tizoc

babythrowingmoney.gif

Edit: I'll mention again that the DDE actually includes the pre-order incentives by default, so those on the fence can choose to buy it later without being concerned about potentially missing out on content.

Did you use your Steam credit though?

jshackles

That's a really good (and terrifying) observation... oh dear.

I mean we already have to put up with this mess:

and this is an even worse offender:

Now imagine if 500+ games (or more) were supported here. All I'm saying is that I'm glad Valve is calling these new APIs "beta", but I would have thought they would have thought about and addressed these sorts of issues before turning people loose on this system.

I mean we already have to put up with this mess:

and this is an even worse offender:

Now imagine if 500+ games (or more) were supported here. All I'm saying is that I'm glad Valve is calling these new APIs "beta", but I would have thought they would have thought about and addressed these sorts of issues before turning people loose on this system.

I completely forgot about the "separate game tab" aspect of the inventory. I weep for the future of my (mostly barren) inventory.

Wall russet preserve us.

hahahaha, yeah right. This is Valve we're talking about :p

jshackles

hahahaha, yeah right. This is Valve we're talking about :p

They're probably just waiting for it to be a problem so they can see how I'll handle updating the UI elements. Then they'll do something that looks 99% the same.

rtcn63

In an alternate universe, Sir-She would grow up to become Janelle Timmins, and eventually remain married to JaseC for exactly the length of a Caribbean vacation.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
They're probably just waiting for it to be a problem so they can see how I'll handle updating the UI elements. Then they'll do something that looks 99% the same.

I know you're joking ... but actually that's probably EXACTLY how it'll happen :(

Copons

I'm not really getting the Steam Inventory Service news.
I mean, where's the actual news?
I assumed it was a service already aavailable to developers, as it was featured in several (of course) Valve games and Battleblock Theater and others as shown in jshackles screens.

What actually changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom