• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're definitely an asshole if you think someone deserves to be spoiled for being late to something, sorry to say.

Not really. Like I said, it's "it was his sled" territory. Frankly, I'd caution anyone who's young to stay clear of gaming boards in general. Hell, reading this topic, I've been spoiled plenty of times for games I haven't played.

I didn't say anyone deserved to have a game spoiled for them. I'm saying that if you haven't played a game and are trawling gaming boards, you shouldn't be surprised if it's spoiled, especially since it's been part of gaming history for nearly two decades.

I would have thought you would understand the difference.

Is it really walking on eggshells to put a name in spoiler tags though? You're right in that there's no way to avoid spoiling a famous work at some point, but generally trying not to do so is easy.

Like I pointed out above, it's been posted unspoiled in the titles of Youtube videos like The Game Theorists' "Who Killed Aerith?" video (one which has garnered more than a million views). I'm not saying every game should be spoiled and unmarked, but in this specific case, the game's been out long enough that anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of it or reads nearly anything about the game will know that there's a surprise death.

RedFyn

I only knew it was a FF7 spoiler because someone complained about it. :/
I dont actually care I just think its funny that by complaining about a spoiler you spoiled it for others.

sheaaaa

Like I said above, I just beat FF7 about a month ago. I knew the death going in. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Again, you're assuming that people are just going to walk on eggshells with a game that's been part of gaming history and the collective gamer consciousness for the last two decades. You said it yourself - these twists are famous for a reason. Assuming that people are going to actively avoid discussion of it, when it was the signature moment of the game and a huge turning point for the RPG industry, is being highly idealistic and presumptuous.

Then that's your loss, and I think it's ridiculous to say that it didn't diminish your enjoyment because you have no idea how much not knowing about the death would have changed how much you enjoyed the game.

A part of gaming history and collective consciousness sure, but again you assume that everyone alive is aware of all that. The spoiler isn't the be all and end all of FF7, there's no need to bring it up every single time the game is mentioned, and it boils down to whether you want to avoid the possibility of spoiling a great moment for someone or not. I would rather err on the side of caution, and I won't hesitate to call anyone who doesn't an asshole because, as the guy who just got spoiled pointed out, it is a real dick move.

Turfster

Holy shit guys. Really?
Here, have a game deal.

Meridian is 75% off on Gamesplanet

Tiny Tale 2 keys added to Groupees BAGB7

iosefe

Should I play in any specific order? Halp. Does it even matter?

well...

Kotor games in order of course. though i assume you have player KotOR 1 to death. Get The Restored Content mod ASAP. you can skip M4-78

Kyle Katarn Games (assuming the middle ones are are added later):

• Dark Forces > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II > Mysteries of the Sith > Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast > Jedi Academy

anything else would be based on preference. Empire at war is a faily decent RTS, Republic commando is a great Squad Based Shooter. The Force Unleashed are i guess Character Action Games

sheaaaa

Not really. Like I said, it's "it was his sled" territory. Frankly, I'd caution anyone who's young to stay clear of gaming boards in general. Hell, reading this topic, I've been spoiled plenty of times for games I haven't played.

I didn't say anyone deserved to have a game spoiled for them. I'm saying that if you haven't played a game and are trawling gaming boards, you shouldn't be surprised if it's spoiled, especially since it's been part of gaming history for nearly two decades.

I would have thought you would understand the difference.

That is literally what you said. This entire post is absurd.

Then that's your loss, and I think it's ridiculous to say that it didn't diminish your enjoyment because you have no idea how much not knowing about the death would have changed how much you enjoyed the game.

No, not really. Considering that I've known about it for the better part of a decade, I was still incredibly excited to play the game, and easily dropped nearly 50 hours into it. It's jjust as presumptuous to assume that my expectations were dulled because I knew about one of the elements going in.

A part of gaming history and collective consciousness sure, but again you assume that everyone alive is aware of all that. The spoiler isn't the be all and end all of FF7, there's no need to bring it up every single time the game is mentioned, and it boils down to whether you want to avoid the possibility of spoiling a great moment for someone or not. I would rather err on the side of caution, and I won't hesitate to call anyone who doesn't an asshole because, as the guy who just got spoiled pointed out, it is a real dick move.

And yet, it is brought up all the time, in general conversations or not. It was a huge turning point in the industry, and the spot where a lot of gamers got their first taste of the FF series. As stated earlier, you can't expect people to walk on eggshells around something that's been a cultural touchstone for RPG's, and one of the first things anyone brings up when they discuss the game.

That is literally what you said. This entire post is absurd.

It's pretty clear that this is not the topic or board for you. Perhaps you should go elsewhere.

You're closing off any possibility that someone just getting into video games or someone young could discover the death for themselves. Those spoilers become famous for a reason - the twists are such incredible shocks that people can't help but discuss them. Imagine someone lucky enough to experience them for the first time. Now imagine some assholes on a message board ruining that by assuming everyone's followed a specific segment of gaming for the past 20 years.

We are on a gaming board though.

I mean if I post
Darth Vader is Lukes Fater
in a Star Wars message board it would be kinda ridiculous if there are people complaining about that particular spoiler.

sheaaaa

We are on a gaming board though.

I mean if I post
Darth Vader is Lukes Fater
in a Star Wars message board it would be kinda ridiculous if there are people complaining about that particular spoiler.

Your comparison doesn't quite work out though. If we were on a FF board or a FF7 board, maybe. But there are thousands of games, the industry is unfathomably huge, and this isn't even a FF thread.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
play something good so we can watch. i would assume some edit on this?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\______\_____.exe" %command%

No need to edit anything. Just set it to broadcast the desktop and put the game in window mode. Works fine with minor performance hits. Milamber saw Brawl working fine. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
i find it really hard to believe that someone with any semblance of a gaming consciousness would not know *sigh* that ff7 spoiler

that's ridiculous

if memory doesn't fail me it's literally gaming's single most known "plot twist"

should i start calling samus a he?

sheaaaa

No, not really. Considering that I've known about it for the better part of a decade, I was still incredibly excited to play the game, and easily dropped nearly 50 hours into it. It's jjust as presumptuous to assume that my expectations were dulled because I knew about one of the elements going in.

I'm not saying you would have enjoyed it more, I'm just saying it's impossible to know if you would have, so you can't say in all certainty that knowing the spoiler didn't diminish your enjoyment.

And yet, it is brought up all the time, in general conversations or not. It was a huge turning point in the industry, and the spot where a lot of gamers got their first taste of the FF series. As stated earlier, you can't expect people to walk on eggshells around something that's been a cultural touchstone for RPG's, and one of the first things anyone brings up when they discuss the game.

It's being considerate to someone who hasn't played the game. It's easy to assume everyone has, and that it's brought up all the time so it's okay to talk about it, but if spoiler tagging it can help one person enjoy it the way it was meant to be then why not? It's barely an inconvenience.

i find it really hard to believe that someone with any resemblance of a gaming consciousness would not know *sigh* that ff7 spoiler

that's ridiculous

if memory doesn't fail me it's literally gaming's single most known "plot twist"

should i start calling samus a he?

Why close our hobby off to anyone who doesn't know anything about it? It's easy to assume everyone knows the spoiler, but as more and more people start playing games, or even old timers who are trying a new genre or format for the first time, we shouldn't assume they all have awareness of a "gaming consciousness".

RedFyn

i find it really hard to believe that someone with any resemblance of a gaming consciousness would not know *sigh* that ff7 spoiler

that's ridiculous
Why? I don't care for ff, never have. I'm not complaining about the spoiler, and have no problem with them for older games, but you shouldn't be surprised that people don't know it.

What's a gaming consciousness anyways?

I'm not saying you would have enjoyed it more, I'm just saying it's impossible to know if you would have, so you can't say in all certainty that knowing the spoiler didn't diminish your enjoyment.

You're just debating semantics at this point. Not even worth a further response.

It's being considerate to someone who hasn't played the game. It's easy to assume everyone has, and that it's brought up all the time so it's okay to talk about it, but if spoiler tagging it can help one person enjoy it the way it was meant to be then why not? It's barely an inconvenience.

Ahem...

zkylon said:

Anyone worth their salt as a gamer knows about Aeris' death. It's pretty much a prerequisite to talking about the game, because a large part of the story and resolution relies upon her death and relevance afterwards. As I said before, if you're a young gamer and you haven't played any of the FF series, you shouldn't be on here, and especially in a topic where discussion of the FF games on Steam comes up frequently. That's like an invitation to be spoiled.

Like I keep reiterating, no one is going to walk on eggshells to spoiler discussion that relies that heavily on a part of the game that's been known in the collective consciousness for nearly two decades. The "it was his sled" trope exists for a reason - it's the point at which major spoilers become so well known that it becomes part of the public lexicon.

iosefe

This better not be a spoiler. Or else I'm delaying Half-Life 3.
BlZXnT1.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone worth their salt as a gamer knows about Aeris' death. It's pretty much a prerequisite to talking about the game, because a large part of the story and resolution relies upon her death and relevance afterwards.

Like I keep reiterating, no one is going to walk on eggshells to spoiler discussion that relies that heavily on a part of the game that's been known in the collective consciousness for nearly two decades. The "it was his sled" trope exists for a reason - it's the point at which major spoilers become so well known that it becomes part of the public lexicon.
yup, it's ridiculous to expect people to never spoil anything, specially shit that's 20 years old and widely known.

i wouldn't spoil stuff about ff8, for instance, but this is just silly

This better not be a spoiler. Or else I'm delaying Half-Life 3.
also the main character (you know, the robot) is not called metroid

we're never getting hl3 now

sheaaaa

You're just debating semantics at this point. Not even worth a further response.

You're refusing to admit that not knowing the spoiler could have enhanced your enjoyment of the game. Okay. That explains why you're defending this to the death.

Anyone worth their salt as a gamer knows about Aeris' death. It's pretty much a prerequisite to talking about the game, because a large part of the story and resolution relies upon her death and relevance afterwards.

How do you define "worth their salt as a gamer"? What is that?

As I said before, if you're a young gamer and you haven't played any of the FF series, you shouldn't be on here, and especially in a topic where discussion of the FF games on Steam comes up frequently. That's like an invitation to be spoiled.

It's a great advertisement for gaming as an inclusive hobby when someone in the biggest thread of discussion of the biggest games platform says if you're a young gamer who hasn't played one game that came out 20 years ago you shouldn't be here.

Speevy

Banned
I haven't played Final Fantasy VII for more than a few minutes, but I actually mind the Aeris' death spoiler less than the fact that the game looks really bad.

Also, could you two just take this PM or screw or whatever. It's gettin' uncomfortable.

Turfster

My nephews once loved the Lego games but now all they do is play Minecraft... or watch people play Minecraft.

Minecraft is the mind control the lizard people from the center of the earth are using to enslave our next generation.
It is already too late.

Coldsun

Banned
Honestly, being upset about the FF7 spoiler is like getting upset about hearing the cake is a lie. It really is a part of the greater gamer conscious. Yes, it sucks that you might not be able to experience it fresh, and that will reduce the impact. However, that's the way things go for these things that have had such a huge impact.

If you want things to be fresh, don't read forums or visit any social network that has gamers on it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually was pretty surprised to see kids go crazy over minecraft toys at this comic store i was at the other day

moms were like "do u want the creeper mug?"

so weird

i actually was pretty surprised to see kids go crazy over minecraft toys at this comic store i was at the other day

moms were like "do u want the creeper mug?"

so weird

I actually was surprised that it got such a huge following with kids. I remember during the Alpha-days I would never have believed that it becomes that popular in this demographic.

I'm gonna blow your mind, SteamGAF: Evolve is out in two days.

This news shocked even me.

I actually was surprised that it got such a huge following with kids. I remember during the Alpha-days I would never have believed that it becomes that popular in this demographic.
Really? I'm honestly surprised someone didn't make LEGO: The Ultimate Video Game ages ago. The hunger for such a product seems obvious to me, but maybe that's 20/20 hindsight eaglevision.

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean, it makes sense

big sandboxes to be free and play around with their friends is like awesome for kids

I'm gonna blow your mind, SteamGAF: Evolve is out in two days.

This news shocked even me.

and with the INSANE 79.666666% release discount you can pre-purchase it right now for only $59.99 (season pass not included)!!!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really? I'm honestly surprised someone didn't make LEGO: The Ultimate Video Game ages ago. The hunger for such a product seems obvious to me, but maybe that's 20/20 hindsight eaglevision.

Yeah, TLG really dropped the ball on that one. I wanted a sandbox Lego game back when I was 10.

As I said before, if you're a young gamer and you haven't played any of the FF series, you shouldn't be on here, and especially in a topic where discussion of the FF games on Steam comes up frequently. That's like an invitation to be spoiled.

If you want things to be fresh, don't read forums or visit any social network that has gamers on it.

That argument would make sense, except, ya know... We have a fucking spoiler tag for that kind of stuff.

And the spoiler was deliberately posted and highlighted, when there was no reason to be talking about it, no bigger FF discussion. It was just posted. That's like me posting a spider for that one dude to see, with no reason other than to just fuck with them.

Posting spoilers (or phobias) should be done with as much reasonable context so people could hopefully avoid seeing it.

Deliberately posting spoilers of any kind, especially with no context, is a dick move. Period.

zkylon

zkylewd
What I noticed though is that the kids I met that play it are always cheating besides the fact that no one really bought it and plays pirated versions.
still makes sense, kids aren't too competitive and kids are super broke!

when i was a kid you couldn't really pirate stuff like you can now, but i can imagine most kids today being savvy enough to do it

That argument would make sense, except, ya know... We have a fucking spoiler tag for that kind of stuff.

And the spoiler was deliberately posted and highlighted, when there was no reason to be talking about it, no bigger FF discussion. It was just posted. That's like me posting a spider for that one dude to see, with no reason other than to just fuck with them.

Posting spoilers (or phobias) should be done with as much reasonable context so people could hopefully avoid seeing it.

Deliberately posting spoilers of any kind, especially with no context, is a dick move. Period.

Steam | March 2015 - Spoiled Rotten, Never Fresh

They shrunk it; it was just Open.
Oh... that's not as exciting.

Maybe I'll wait for the Big Release before playing it. Releases are so yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom