• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUCIGd39DQ
Tecmo have been screwing up PC ports since the 90s.
Not surprising. Their porting work takes skill and experience. With Tecmo and KT, its not just simple ignorance. That would mean they could learn and improve after a few ports. It's simple hate. They need our money, but want you to feel as bad playing it, as they felt making it.
Who knows? If Sega Japan has some hard time, and are looking for ways to increase their bottom-line, they might start hate-porting games too.

Parsnip

They all repeat. Even those you complete can show up again.
Just don't treat them as sidequests, but rather just as money sources. Take the ones with the best gold/effort ratio and don't bother with the ones that aren't worth it.
There's really no point in trying to do them all since it's impossible to run out of tasks.

Oh, that's good to know. I have a bad habit of obsessing over completing every side quest, so knowing this is a bit of a relief to be honest. :D

Grief.exe

I wonder how much influence Durante had for Azure and Atelier as they both turned out to be solid ports going by the impressions here.

Grief.exe

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

lifhfQ8.jpg

I wonder how much influence Durante had for Azure and Atelier as they both turned out to be solid ports going by the impressions here.

From what I gathered, Durante was supplying footnotes for both games to K-T America, which in turn relay back to the porting team in K-T Japan. Of course the most strenuous ones were addressed but unfortunately this was no Durante/XSEED deal.

Hopefully if both games, especially Sophie, get great sales maybe K-T America will lobby stronger for Durante to their headquarters.

Nillansan

I'm not sure if it alone can take care of framepacing issues - you might be okay with just forcing borderless windowed by any other tool - but it surely let's you diagnose framepacing issues (just press ctrl-shift-backspace to show that dialogue window).

Thanks, I'll just use Borderless Gaming then.

Thanks Rayge, much appreciated.

Ibuki

Banned
http://www.pcgamer.com/humble-bundle-launches-multi-platform-publishing-and-funding-program/

Humble Bundle has announced plans to move into the game publishing business with the launch of a new multi-platform publishing and funding initiative. The company described the program as "a multi-million-dollar investment for games large and small," and said it will begin with seven games "across a range of genres and styles, for PC, console, and mobile platforms."

Looks like they are going to publish A Hat in Time... awesome.

Knurek

Zero.
I wouldn't call them better than previous K-T ones, look at the resolution issues, 2D assets issues, CPU utilization issues, framepacing graph during movie playback, etc.
It's just that Durante knows how to handle those things better than most of PC gamers, so we came prepared. :p

Tizoc

Good, now the meme can die?

Not while I'm around to spam it to remind these shmucks how they overused a word for no noteworthy reason overall an interesting, but nothing more, bundle concept that didn't work out right.

Eila

Ittle Dew was ok. I find the art quite charming, cartoon style. Shame the sequel went 3D, I don't think it looks as good.
Enjoyed it better than what I played of Oceanhorn.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new BeMine preorder for $2. Groupees have fallen hard but the BeMine bundles are still usually decent

cant pre order because my paypal is fucked sigh. Cant pre order with coins either, hopefully I can buy it with the coins after its out, I still have some.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Slain is €4.99 on GMG. Tempted to buy it, but I'm expecting it to be featured in one of the next Humble Bundles.

it will be. And speaking of Humble (Monthly) eventual games, Firewatch is 50% on steam for the anniversary

So, is Darkest Dungeon actually good or not?

I was a bit thrown off last time I checked it during the last few sales - I saw Very Positive average on the side panel, but the Reviews section was a solid-red block of Not Recommended's.

And this seems to be a recurring theme I've seen on Steam in recent years.

Rhaknar

So, is Darkest Dungeon actually good or not?

I was a bit thrown off last time I checked it during the last few sales - I saw Very Positive average on the side panel, but the Reviews section was a solid-red block of Not Recommended's.

And this seems to be a recurring theme I've seen on Steam in recent years.

is it good? yes its amazing. The consensus on the game is pretty well known by now dude, its problem (and that might not even be a problem for some) is how grindy it gets later on. And its difficulty I guess.

The new Rdiant mode seems to adress a lot of the grindiness tho.

haendeul

Hey Steam-GAF. I was wondering if anyone here have experience using a PS4 on a normal PC monitor. I ordered one earlier, but I'm worried the image quality will look too bad on the monitor that doesn't have any good scaling modes like a TV usually does. I'm thinking of games like Nioh where resolution is 720p when using the 60 fps mode.

Cth

is it good? yes its amazing. The consensus on the game is pretty well known by now dude, its problem (and that might not even be a problem for some) is how grindy it gets later on. And its difficulty I guess.

The new Rdiant mode seems to adress a lot of the grindiness tho.

Agreed with this.. I think because it was in Early Access there was a lot of tweaks to the difficulty.

I had fun with it, but I could see where it could frustrate some with the difficulty and/or the roguelike elements.

kagamin

Hey Steam-GAF. I was wondering if anyone here have experience using a PS4 on a normal PC monitor. I ordered one earlier, but I'm worried the image quality will look too bad on the monitor that doesn't have any good scaling modes like a TV usually does. I'm thinking of games like Nioh where resolution is 720p when using the 60 fps mode.

Well, I played FFXIV, Project Diva Future Tone, Yakuza 0, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Let it Die, and Fate/EXTELLA just fine on my 900p monitor, everything looked fine.

FLD

Just resubbed to Humble Monthly, Total Warhammer was too tempting and I really regretted skipping the last two months. So, that probably means this is the month they go back to being shit. You guys have been warned!

rahji

Mmh firewatch for 10 dollars. I am tempted. I think I will like it because I enjoyed dear esther for what it was.

Ibuki

Banned
Not while I'm around to spam it to remind these shmucks how they overused a word for no noteworthy reason overall an interesting, but nothing more, bundle concept that didn't work out right.

I'm OK with this, they all deserve it.

haendeul

Well, I played FFXIV, Project Diva Future Tone, Yakuza 0, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Let it Die, and Fate/EXTELLA just fine on my 900p monitor, everything looked fine.

Thanks, but a lot of console games are already 900p, so that makes sense. 900p does upscale well enough to 1080 I guess. I played through Crysis 3 on 900p two graphic cards ago, and that went fine. I don't think 720 upscales well to 1080 though. At least not PC games. I don't know if there's some good upscaling going on in the consoles themselves, or if it's only the TV.

Rhaknar

man I am stuck in this night hunt -> daytime activity loop to raise my skills up in Azure and I keep thinking I should progres the story but I want to max my shit up lol.

I really should advance tho, the xp im getting for my pets is negligible now in these early chapters and im not unlocking any new summosn either. I bet you get new daytime acitivities later one that give you more stats too.

any hints on what's in it?

I dont think so dude

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Nillansan

There's alot of possible reasons why this could be taking so long. Like, after Lost World's poor sales, they got wary of continuing other projects and took some time to greenlight the next project, they could have spent time researching which games to port, they could have had licensing issues with chosen games, maybe there were unforeseen issues during the porting process, maybe they had trouble finding suitable partners to handle the ports (some of their ports are outsourced after all).

Yup, that's the point I've been trying to get across, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. It's like people completely reject the notion of software development being a changeable and shifting matter, where any number of issues can suddenly crop up.

Alone With You by Benjamin Rivers (developer of Home). $8.49 first week.

Cool, added to the wishlist. I did actually help fund Home back in the day. One of the neatest physical copies of a game I've ever seen.

Phawx

I did not like Home. Probably because I had built up this amazing thriller in my head and as I was playing the realization sinking in every moment that there would be no thrills.

Wok

I did not like Home. Probably because I had built up this amazing thriller in my head and as I was playing the realization sinking in every moment that there would be no thrills.

I did not like it either, because I actually don't like the genre. However, I was genuinely impressed by the game, so I kind of trust the dev.

Phawx

I did not like it either, because I actually don't like the genre. However, I was genuinely impressed by the game, so I kind of trust the dev.

What genre does Home fall in? It's more of a 2D walking sim to me.

Wok

Old Man's Journey is backed by Indie Fund. This is the only game which has been funded in the past 7 months (the previous one was Event[0]).

What genre does Home fall in? It's more of a 2D walking sim to me.

Horror.
Sorry, Dusk Golem.

Ascheroth

Zero.
I wouldn't call them better than previous K-T ones, look at the resolution issues, 2D assets issues, CPU utilization issues, framepacing graph during movie playback, etc.
It's just that Durante knows how to handle those things better than most of PC gamers, so we came prepared. :p

I dunno, it seems like the only issues they have are just minor in the grand scheme of things, certainly much better than most of their other stuff.
The 2D assets are such a weird thing to get hung up about. Yeah, it's stupid, but at the end of the day it's just menus looking slightly fuzzy, but everything else looking better than on PS4.
CPU utilization is another thing that's stupid, but doesn't really matter that much.
They definitely should get their shit together with resolution support though, it can't be that hard to just query the damn OS instead of hardcoding values.
They support all the ones I personally need but I can see how this can be annoying.

But at the end of the day, to me those are some minor inconveniences that I hope they'll patch, but even in its current state there's nothing actively hampering my enjoyment.

It probably helps that Atelier itself is damn good.

rickyson1

I dunno, it seems like the only issues they have are just minor in the grand scheme of things, certainly much better than most of their other stuff.
The 2D assets are such a weird thing to get hung up about. Yeah, it's stupid, but at the end of the day it's just menus looking slightly fuzzy, but everything else looking better than on PS4.
CPU utilization is another thing that's stupid, but doesn't really matter that much.
They definitely should get their shit together with resolution support though, it can't be that hard to just query the damn OS instead of hardcoding values.
They support all the ones I personally need but I can see how this can be annoying.

But at the end of the day, to me those are some minor inconveniences that I hope they'll patch, but even in its current state there's nothing actively hampering my enjoyment.

It probably helps that Atelier itself is damn good.

if you look at steam reviews and such there's tons of people complaining about single digit fps in menus and such

I personally haven't had any real issues(it does use 100% of my CPU during cutscenes but it doesn't even affect the performance of the game itself and I only even noticed because it was making the browser in my other monitor lag) but there's definitely a lot of people out there claiming them

just going by reviews it seems like around 10% or so are having some fairly significant lag issues

apparently the controls aren't very well thought out for mouse and keyboard as well(and you can't rebind it),and some controllers haven't been working properly,again just going by what i've read here though since for me personally i've been using a 360 controller which has been working just fine

Knurek

Unless you have a bad/dirty cooling solution - having the CPU run at 100% on all cores at all times might not be a good idea if your thermal paste has flaked off or your fan is grimey.
Or are trying to play on a laptop - unnecessary drain on battery life.
(It's easily fixable with the fanmade DLL, but yea, I don't think people who keep their CPUs in bad shape are people who can use fanmade patches).

rickyson1

Unless you have a bad/dirty cooling solution - having the CPU run at 100% on all cores at all times might not be a good idea if your thermal paste has flaked off or your fan is grimey.
Or are trying to play on a laptop - unnecessary drain on battery life.
(It's easily fixable with the fanmade DLL, but yea, I don't think people who keep their CPUs in bad shape are people who can use fanmade patches).

does it run at 100% all the time for people?

for me the CPU thing is exclusively during cutscenes

Well, my brother bought Atelier, like I didn't have enough on my plate already...
Not going to resist giving it a shot, it's been a while since I played one of these.

illusionary

Just saw it. I choose Endless Legend.

Aha, I chose the same faction.

Well I also chose Endless Legend. We better win this one.
Add me to that list too - I'm liking this trend, especially as it seems that the benefits only really go to those backing the eventual winner.
That said, I already own all of the DLC except for Tempest, and I can't see that being given away for free here.

Everybody go watch LEGO Batman movie, it's fun and fantastic.
Indeed - while I don't tend to get to the cinema all that often, I'm going to need to find some time to do so for LEGO Batman. The previous LEGO Movie was superb and Batman seems to be at least living aup to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom