• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Althane

If the gifting Max Payne bundle works, I'd be up for gifting it to someone who couldn't get it normally, since I have a little bit of spare cash.

Minsc

Gold Member
nilbog21 said:
Hey guys I bought the Max payne bundle but the ingame sound doesn't work (intro sound worked and menu sound works fine, but just not in game), anyone else having this problem? :/

This'll do the trick.

You have to copy the contents of the rar file in to the Max Payne folder in Steam's common apps, then run the .bat file, which will convert the sounds to a better format, takes a little while. To reverse the process you can just run the bat file again, but I don't know why you'd want to.

KiKaL

I'm tempted to get Civ4 but really haven't ever played one. IS there any other game it's like? I hear so much praise I might bite the bullet but this sale as already given me a huge backlog.

By the way, can the Beyond Good and Evil port be shittier? Full of glitches and annoying stuff. Also, I bought it just because it's a game that seems to have a big fanbase but it seems to me like a kind of Zelda-pokemon hybrid from the N64 era, not what I was expecting at all, I must say. I also hate the character designs aside from the pig. It´s my fault though, I should've just researched a little before buying but I thought at 2'50€ it was a no brainer (and so I acted)

Minsc

Gold Member
bytesized said:
By the way, can the Beyond Good and Evil port be shittier? Full of glitches and annoying stuff. Also, I bought it just because it's a game that seems to have a big fanbase but it seems to me like a kind of Zelda-pokemon hybrid from the N64 era, not what I was expecting at all, I must say. I also hate the character designs aside from the pig. It´s my fault though, I should've just researched a little before buying but I thought at 2'50€ it was a no brainer (and so I acted)

Aside from the lack of gamepad support out of the box, I have no troubles with it (I've only played a few hours of the GoG version though).

Truespeed

KiKaL said:
I'm tempted to get Civ4 but really haven't ever played one. IS there any other game it's like? I hear so much praise I might bite the bullet but this sale as already given me a huge backlog.

Either have I. Ultimately it comes down to whether you want to play games of this genre. If you do, then you can't go wrong with 4 masterpieces from the czar of strategy and simulation games.

With over 6 million units sold and unprecedented critical acclaim from fans and press around the world, Sid Meier's Civilization is recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all-time

Don't you think "one of the greatest PC game franchises of all-time" is worth $13.60?

Firestorm

bytesized said:
I think you mean Zelda-Pokemon Snap hybrid and how is that a bad thing?!

KaYotiX

Banned
Civ 4 is worth it, I think i have bought the game 3-4 times since it was first launched. (lost discs and other stuff LOL) im glad i finally have it on Steam digitally.

nilbog21

Banned
Does anyone know if i can skip the "easy mode" of max payne and somehow go straight to hard? I beat this game on this mode when it came out, i don't want to play it again on the same setting ;[

hamchan said:
Says it doesn't match my billing address. Do i need a US credit card?

This method worked for me. At the payment screen, change your billing address country to the country that the steam store page is set to. In my case I just changed it to United Kingdom, worked fine.

Truespeed

bytesized said:

I played the demo and really liked the colorful graphics (more games should start exploring their palette) and I thought the story was somewhat interesting from a peculiar unbeaten path point of view. But, one thing that really bothered me was the inability to exit the demo. ESC did absolutely nothing so I ended up having to ALT-F4 out of it. Perhaps it was just the demo, but this thing would not let me out.

Salacious Crumb

Any word on Australians not being able to receive the Max Payne bundle as a gift yet. I was obsessed with Max Payne on the PS2, I'm now seriously keen to play it the way it was meant to be played. Ive heard the mods aren't to bad either.

Althane said:
If the gifting Max Payne bundle works, I'd be up for gifting it to someone who couldn't get it normally, since I have a little bit of spare cash.
Anyway you could help me get this? I have a $25 Newegg.com promo code that I would trade if you could gift me some steam games.

Atrophis

bytesized said:

Is the port really that bad? I got it the other day along with Killing Floor, Dark Messiah, Audiosurf and Braid.

Think i will be picking up the Max Payne bundle. Never did get round to playing the sequal but the first game was cheesy greatness.

Not sure about Left 4 Dead...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Has Freedom Force aged well? I remember playing the sequel several years ago and found it enjoyable. I don't want to spend $5 and realize I was blinded by nostalgia, though.

Firestorm said:

I'm 29 years old :/

Atrophis said:
Is the port really that bad? I got it the other day along with Killing Floor, Dark Messiah, Audiosurf and Braid.

Think i will be picking up the Max Payne bundle. Never did get round to playing the sequal but the first game was cheesy greatness.

Not sure about Left 4 Dead...

I don´t know, it´s full of graphical glitches and I´ve tried everything they suggest on the forums and nothing gets rid of them. But someone said before in this thread that it worked perfectly with his computer, so it must be some kind of incompatibility with my graphics card i guess.

By the way, I finally bought Left4Dead and the Rockstar pack (I missed on the whole past generation after Dreamcast died so I missed on all the GTA´s from that era so I think it's worth it). But check this out, it´s what they actually charged me!

Left 4 Dead
4,96 EUR
Rockstar Collection (EU)
34,65 EUR

It´s supposed to be 5'75€ and 40'19€ respectively! Is it because I don´t pay the VAT in Spain or what?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Wow, i didn't realize the total war pack. (that includes all the total war games) is selling for $37 US. On the Australian steam store.:O (it's around $60 on US).
Tempted to buy it.

KiKaL

Damnit, I think im giving in and giving Civ4 a shot. I think I have purchased 15-20 games in the past month(mostly steam deals) and have the biggest backlog. I feel so guilty.

Oreoleo

Firestorm said:

God I wish I would have known this sooner. That sounds like an awesome mix and I've had the game sitting in my Steam backlog for damn near a year.

bengraven

Archie said:
Has Freedom Force aged well? I remember playing the sequel several years ago and found it enjoyable. I don't want to spend $5 and realize I was blinded by nostalgia, though.

I'm going to be creamed for this, especially because that was one game I meant to play that I didn't back in the day, but I bought it a few days ago to try out and really wasn't impressed. I found, at least the tutorial, incredibly boring. I'm sure it gets fantastic eventually, but it didn't capture my interest as I expected it to.

IceMarker

I bought Call of Duty: World at War. Why do I feel bad? :lol

Anyways, haven't played through an entire CoD since 2:BRO, 3, and played the demo of 4.
Anything you guys wanna tell me before I jump into the game?

(Also, waiting until CoD4 is $20 or less until I purchase it and won't purchase CoD MW2 until I beat CoD4 and it drops to $30 or less.)

Alex

I love the art and music in BG&E, but the actual gameplay kind of grated on me. I never got far though, I should try again. Kind of felt, to me, at the time, the same issues Brutal Legend has now. Trying to do a bit too much, doesn't do a lot of it particularly well.

I will try it out again though, maybe it was just a bad time.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
bengraven said:
I'm going to be creamed for this, especially because that was one game I meant to play that I didn't back in the day, but I bought it a few days ago to try out and really wasn't impressed. I found, at least the tutorial, incredibly boring. I'm sure it gets fantastic eventually, but it didn't capture my interest as I expected it to.
Well the demo crashes every time I try to run it. $5 saved!

Alex said:
I love the art and music in BG&E, but the actual gameplay kind of grated on me. I never got far though, I should try again. Kind of felt, to me, at the time, the same issues Brutal Legend has now. Trying to do a bit too much, doesn't do a lot of it particularly well.

I will try it out again though, maybe it was just a bad time.

I have to agree. The gameplay is extremely rudimentary, likeable characters notwithstanding.

bengraven said:

Freedom Fighters is one of those titles which was good for the period it released in. It's not very remarkable in any other way but being a refreshing game for the time.

Salacious Crumb

If there are any US/Euros willing to gift me the Max Payne bundle I will fellate there egos until the end of time. I will also paypal you the necessary funds.

My steam name is: Lord_Doomslayer

BG&E has a lot of good things going for it, and it is a really good game if you give it a chance. But it just may be the most overrated game ever. Some people think that it is one of the best games ever made and that is nowhere close to the truth.

What it has going for it is an engaging story, likable characters, some really nice interactive environments, and some very solid gameplay. In some ways it's like a more serious and mature Ratchet & Clank. It is definitely a more mature game then it's art style would lead you to believe.

It's great fun and should not be dismissed just because of the way it looks. No game should. If I dismissed a game because of the way it looks I never would have played the awesome Peggle games because I would never have gotten past the splash screen with a pink unicorn.

Overall I would rate BG&E a very solid 8 of 10. Felt like it could have used a little more development time, but overall a very good, but not great, adventure game.

Firestorm

bytesized said:
I'm 29 years old :/
Sorry, I forgot that only kids use photo-journalism to establish truth in a 1984-eque dystopian society. When you grow up you put away the camera and take out the guns!

Javaman

MrMister said:
I bought Call of Duty: World at War. Why do I feel bad? :lol

Anyways, haven't played through an entire CoD since 2:BRO, 3, and played the demo of 4.
Anything you guys wanna tell me before I jump into the game?

(Also, waiting until CoD4 is $20 or less until I purchase it and won't purchase CoD MW2 until I beat CoD4 and it drops to $30 or less.)

Don't hold your breath. COD 1 is still $20 as is the expansion and COD 2. :lol :lol :lol

randomlyrossy said:
Funny cause my reaction to that statement would be to tell you to grow up :lol

There is no age limit on fun.

Nah, I have to problem with cartoonish or lighthearted story games but I really don't like the art direction in this game (or most of the ubisoft from that era) or the character design. Also taking pictures of animals as a gameplay element doesn't convince me for some reason. I discovered they use it also in Bioshock and I went all FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU... I hope it's not required to advance in that game :/

Anyway, I will give BG&E another opportunity, of course. It's just that I was kind of disappointed since I was expecting something else. By the way, it's incredible how this game is from last generation of consoles, it looks barely above n64 in texture quality and polygone count, doesn't it? Not like I care about it

Firestorm said:
Sorry, I forgot that only kids use photo-journalism to establish truth in a 1984-eque dystopian society. When you grow up you put away the camera and take out the guns!

I was just half joking

I think I'm too old for Pokemon, though :p

wormstrangler said:
RE: Max Payne for Aussies

Can't you just use the L4D2 'trick' and buy from the UK or US stores?

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

davonaytor said:
This method worked for me. At the payment screen, change your billing address country to the country that the steam store page is set to. In my case I just changed it to United Kingdom, worked fine.

Thank you so much, guys. Worked perfectly for me, and I actually got it cheaper than the US price :lol

Delerat

Neo Member
bytesized said:
Nah, I have to problem with cartoonish or lighthearted story games but I really don't like the art direction in this game (or most of the ubisoft from that era) or the character design. Also taking pictures of animals as a gameplay element doesn't convince me for some reason. I discovered they use it also in Bioshock and I went all FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU... I hope it's not required to advance in that game :/

Anyway, I will give BG&E another opportunity, of course. It's just that I was kind of disappointed since I was expecting something else. By the way, it's incredible how this game is from last generation of consoles, it looks barely above n64 in texture quality and polygone count, doesn't it? Not like I care about it
The game just might not be for you then, it happens. I think it has one of the best chase sequences in a game though and I can't wait for the sequel. Oh, and only problem I had with the PC port was choppy framerate when going through town in the hovership.

wormstrangler said:
RE: Max Payne for Aussies

Can't you just use the L4D2 'trick' and buy from the UK or US stores?

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk
106kg7d.png

What does that mean anyway? Sellout since MS is publishing? Sellout since they sold the Max Payne IP?

Truespeed said:
Either have I. Ultimately it comes down to whether you want to play games of this genre. If you do, then you can't go wrong with 4 masterpieces from the czar of strategy and simulation games.

Don't you think "one of the greatest PC game franchises of all-time" is worth $13.60?
kanye-west-taylor-swift.jpg

poweld

Follow up:

As expected, Steam responded to my question regarding having purchased Civilization IV before getting the complete pack minutes later when it dropped in price.

In their usual fantastic manner, they told me that as soon as the charge went through they would remove it from my credit card. Three cheers for Steam :)

Top Bottom