• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

RJT

Damn! I could resist GTA4 the first time, but I'm not sure I can do it again... I know my computer most likely won't run it, and I don't even like GTA that much, but it is one hell of a deal...

Okay. I've set a budget of $30 for this final day, and I'm just looking at the normal sale items (everything on sale today I either already have or don't want). I'm looking at a couple of games but I need GAF to reassure me they're the correct purchases:

1) Dawn of War 2 AU ($30), nothing else that was an idiotic choice.
2) Dawn of War 2 from the US store, Unreal Deal/Witcher (slightly over budget but eh)
3) Unreal Deal, Witcher
4) Unreal Deal/Witcher, Altitude (fuck you GiantBomb :lol), something else ~$10 (fill in the spot).
That's about it. I was going to get Fallout 3 but it wasn't on sale so I'll pass. $25 for it would've been amazing, but no... Bethesda had to be stingy with their sales (though I did get Morrowind GotY).

Daigoro

fanboi said:
Soooo... just bought STALKER 1 and 2.

When will I find the time?

nope!

speaking of Stalker CS. i fired it up the other day and DAMN. is the performance on that game is worse than on SOC?!

it was chugging hard and i turned it down to medium and i was still only getting an unstable 30fps (vsync off). unplayable for me. i played for 30 seconds and had to shut it off.

i got way better performance with the Stalker 2k9 mod. is this usual or is something possibly wrong here? pretty disappointing not to have it run at least half way decently on my PC.

Everdred

brain_stew said:
Joke post? Right!? Right!?
I'm a little late but... No. Leaderboard support has been taken down, just not into the graphics and gameplay. Wish I could gift it because I will never play it again.

web01

Anybody willing to help an aussie get the uncensored version of L4D2 before the sale is over?

I can gift the money via paypal using credit card so it should clear straight away.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
wenis said:
alright so I'm starting The Witcher for the first time. Which Option do I go with?

The one with just actions and consequences or the regular old adventure one?
I really don't know what you're talking about... Do mean by chance the Story mode, or the additional mini-missions?

man this sucks....3 different credit cards and an attempt at Paypal and it still won't let me make my purchases.

Trying to buy:

GTAIV
Defense Grid
Torchlight
Killing Floor

Not quite sure how to fix this...any suggestions? Worst is I know the sale is ending soon.

MikeE21286 said:
man this sucks....3 different credit cards and an attempt at Paypal and it still won't let me make my purchases.

Trying to buy:

GTAIV
Defense Grid
Torchlight
Killing Floor

Not quite sure how to fix this...any suggestions? Worst is I know the sale is ending soon.
Create another dummy steam account then use that account to gift your main account the games.

Wierd that it works, but it does.

Edit: I was having the same problem, I had to do the above to get the games. It has something to do with steams anti fraud system marking your main account for buying too many games in too short a period. It's stupid.

mrgone

K.Jack said:
Just seeing the word Aquaria on this page caused me to buy it.

I have a problem.

You're not alone. This sale has me feeling like a slavering, insatiable addict whose impulse control is a long-forgotten memory.

(I just bought Aquaria too, along with a pile of other stuff I'd been contemplating, and some impulse purchases to boot)

Wickerbasket said:
Create another dummy steam account then use that account to gift your main account the games.

Wierd that it works, but it does.

Edit: I was having the same problem, I had to do the above to get the games. It has something to do with steams anti fraud system marking your main account for buying too many games in too short a period. It's stupid.

I sent a question to the Steam Support. I hope this can remedy it and I will be able to get the sale prices.

I can't create a Steam account right now because I'm at work (yet I can access the Steam Suppot website through my work internet....very weird, but whatever)

Puck

Banned
Puck said:
2zody52.jpg

I can gift people either of them if you can gift me their value via paypal.
How much are these on US store? They jumped back up on AU.
Bought it for a few gaffers'
aw7t5l.jpg

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
fuck my contact had some credit cards trouble yesterday so i couldn't buy certain games that i wanted, he did say that he would try again today and send the games to his email account to resend them later. I assume the holiday sale ends at the same time as the last daily deals right?

MDSLKTR

Heh, i didn't buy anything during this sale. Sure I can blame it on my new cc that steam is not accepting, but my ocd and bank account are satisfied :lol

Volcynika

Gexecuter said:
fuck my contact had some credit cards trouble yesterday so i couldn't buy certain games that i wanted, he did say that he would try again today and send the games to his email account to resend them later. I assume the holiday sale ends at the same time as the last daily deals right?

Yep.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why am I actively trying to find good games under 5$? I said I was done with this last night! Damn this final countdown, it's making me feel anxious!

OK, GAF, it's time to sell me on some final Steam purchases. Here's what I've purchased thus far:

Mass Effect
Lucas Arts Adventure Pack
Deux Ex
Morrowind: GOTY
Killing Floor
Indigo Prophecy
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
Outrun 2006
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER: Clear Sky
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Torchlight
Trine
Zeno Clash

What else should I look at?

Smash88

Banned
Jirotrom said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBA1P49nhM&feature=related

:lol :lol :lol :lol

That game is hilarious...I had to get this back. I understand this is somewhat of an art form, but $5...are you serious?

Vyse The Legend said:
OK, GAF, it's time to sell me on some final Steam purchases. Here's what I've purchased thus far:

Mass Effect
Lucas Arts Adventure Pack
Deux Ex
Morrowind: GOTY
Killing Floor
Indigo Prophecy
King's Quest Collection
Space Quest Collection
Outrun 2006
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER: Clear Sky
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Torchlight
Trine
Zeno Clash

What else should I look at?

Bioshock, Defense Grid, GTA IV, World in Conflict: Complete (you can launch nukes son! - if you are lucky you can launch 2-3 at the same time)...

I spent 61.76 on games, and am very happy with my purchases, but I am trying to decide whether to do one more. I want the Witcher, and the price is great, but I would like to have the physical version of the Enhanced Edition with all of its bonus material. Still, I don't think that all the materials are likely to be worth the extra price, but I also have Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Torchlight to play.

Salaadin

Diomedeskun said:
I spent 61.76 on games, and am very happy with my purchases, but I am trying to decide whether to do one more. I want the Witcher, and the price is great, but I would like to have the physical version of the Enhanced Edition with all of its bonus material. Still, I don't think that all the materials are likely to be worth the extra price, but I also have Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Torchlight to play.

Im pretty sure the enhanced edition download still comes with all the goodies, just in a digital form. I know for a fact that it contains the soundtracks and making of footage. Im not sure about the short story or the map though.

Edit: Forgot to say what GamaFu did. Id buy it again if I didnt already own it. Its a fantastic game.

GamaFu

Banned
Diomedeskun said:

Do it man before it's too late. The Witcher is a great game. The steam version comes with all materials like the physical EE version. Plus, the physical game is still selling at its original price $69.99 on Amazon. The game has rarely been on sale on steam already. I bought it for $29.99 last year, and didn't regret it. :D

I've been thinking of buying one of the Paradox Interactive games, in specific either Europa Universalis III Complete or Heart of Iron III. Any suggestion? I think the game might be too complicated for me and I won't be able to enjoy it...

Kipe

graywolf323 said:
any opinions about the Europa Universalis games?

I seriously think we need a Steam Addicts support group after this sale...

If you like Risk or world domination games then it's worth trying out for $10. It's one of my favorite games in recent memory and fighting Le Blob is one of greatest boss battles I've ever faced.

Kabouter

graywolf323 said:
any opinions about the Europa Universalis games?

I seriously think we need a Steam Addicts support group after this sale...
Europa Universalis III - Complete (/w Heir to the Throne) is the best game available on Steam.

zugzug

and to round it out last minute...

I now own Best of Tilted Mill collection, and Splinter Cell" Chaos Theory.

Wanted to get Children of the Nile, and then took a few to think if I wanted Hinterlands and then Moseby's confed, guess I'll dabble. Sides I hope its supporting Tilted Mill I use to like City builder games back in they day so this was a nostalgia purchase.

man those screenshots on Splinter Cell: Double Agent looked bad thats what talked me out of that game. Jumped on Chaos Theory since it never fell further than $4.99 just because I remember so much rave reviews back in 2005 of it. So perhaps in 2010 I'll even attempt to play it. Who knows small chance.

hulot

biocat said:
Some final hour purchases for me. Picked up AI War and Gratuitous Space Battles. :D
Ugh, so did I, don't think I'll ever play them (double-dipped on Space Battles since Impulse had it first I believe).

All the people recommending Defense Grid, don't forget Harvest: Massive Encounter. It's $2 and is another amazing tower defense game.

confused

Banned
Picked up Stalker 1 & 2 as last minute sales.

Brings the damage up to 33 games and about $100.

Awesome. Got enugh games to last me through the Easter sale.

Doytch

Kabouter said:
Europa Universalis III - Complete (/w Heir to the Throne) is the best game available on Steam.
I'm debating whether to rebuy EU3 complete on Steam (along with HttT) since together they'd be $5 more than getting just the expack on GG. But don't Paradox have issues with getting patches up on Steam?

GAF giveaway time.

First person to quote this and list my favorite Tragically Hip album gets a copy of Defense Grid.

1 guess only please.

EDIT: BiasedGamer wins! But everyone wins who plays Defense Grid.

Max

I am not Max
gregor7777 said:
GAF giveaway time.

First person to quote this and list my favorite Tragically Hip album gets a copy of Defense Grid.

1 guess only please.

EDIT: BiasedGamer wins! But everyone wins who plays Defense Grid.
Up to Here

Edit crap, didn't refresh for a couple minutes

Kabouter

Doytch said:
I'm debating whether to rebuy EU3 complete on Steam (along with HttT) since together they'd be $5 more than getting just the expack on GG. But don't Paradox have issues with getting patches up on Steam?
There's some issues with multiplayer, playing with non-steam owners due to a different checksum. Patches are usually a little late too. That's pretty much it.

Stitch

Gold Member
for all the gta4 buyers:

-you don't need a social club account. i actually didn't even got my activation mail from rockstar...

-the game even starts without steam. might be a good idea actually because it already starts with the social club and games for windows live

-configuring the graphics is a pain in the ass but it gets better if you create a text file where the gta exe is with the name commandline.txt. into this textfile you need to write -norestrictions
normally the game won't let you set the graphics to very high because either your GPU sucks or your PC sucks or because the game is a horrible port... whatever. but with the txt file you can change everything :)

-don't set the graphics too high!! GTA4 doesn't seem to care about your pagefile or RAM. if the textures don't fit into your VRAM it seems to ignore them. which means you won't see anything on the screen. really never seen that in game before. good job rockstar...

this mod will give you a really nice motion blur
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=386262&st=0

this mod will make driving more enjoyable.
http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=5529
normally the car behaves like a piece of wet soap.

Is there a mod that gives you better shadows? Ultimate Graphics Tweak makes them a bit more smooth but they still look like ass if you don't set them to very high. and that's impossible on my rig... so i just disabled them completely because no shadows still looks better than the horrible things in GTA4 o__O i would even prefer blob shadows

Top Bottom