• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

ezekial45 said:
I am looking for a good multiplayer game, not necessarily a FPS. I've already got the basics (L4D, HL, CS), so I am considering Brothers In Arms, and other games similar to that. A good sized multiplayer community would be great. Help me out gaf I am open to all suggestions!

Well, If you don´t own Team Fortress 2, you don´t really have the basics.

I also recommend Altitude for a different take on multiplayer games. It looks simple and a bit stupid, but it´s the most fun I have had with a non-sport multiplayer game this year.

Xavien

Alex said:
The online is the exact same on both, I dont think it had the same growing pains on Xbox Live that it did on the PS3 and PC, though, since it didn't have to match through Gamespy..

If you want the differences I could note between them with a complete playthrough on both PC and PS3 and a couple odd hours on the 360:

PC: Stupid mouseless interface.

Console: Awful frame rate (especially on PS3), bad textures (especially on 360), gigantic load times (though I didn't see post patch, but it was upwards of 30 seconds on my PS3 prior to it compared to 5 seconds on my aging PC).

The framerate on Borderlands console version actually enraged me so that it's what sent me back to PC gaming. :lol Constant dips into the singles. Fucking pathetic.

Wait, what? How the fuck did that decision happen?

Alex said:
The online is the exact same on both, I dont think it had the same growing pains on Xbox Live that it did on the PS3 and PC, though, since it didn't have to match through Gamespy..

If you want the differences I could note between them with a complete playthrough on both PC and PS3 and a couple odd hours on the 360:

PC: Stupid mouseless interface.

Console: Awful frame rate (especially on PS3), bad textures (especially on 360), gigantic load times (though I didn't see post patch, but it was upwards of 30 seconds on my PS3 prior to it compared to 5 seconds on my aging PC).

The framerate on Borderlands console version actually enraged me so that it's what sent me back to PC gaming. :lol Constant dips into the singles. Fucking pathetic.

That's ridiculous...the PC framerate isn't anything to write home about. It's an unoptimized game period. BL will be the last time I get hyped up for a gearbox game.

ezekial45

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Well, If you don´t own Team Fortress 2, you don´t really have the basics.

I also recommend Altitude for a different take on multiplayer games. It looks simple and a bit stupid, but it´s the most fun I have had with a non-sport multiplayer game this year.

Yeah I should have added etc. when I was listing the basics, I have TF2, got it almost day 1. :D

pilonv1 said:
Anyone having Steam login issues right now?
Yep. I was just trying to buy Zombie Driver before I went to sleep but my card got declined several times for no reason and now I can't login at all. :(

Edit: And now I get this error message every time I attempt to make a purchase:
There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance.

Edit2: Steam has failed me. All my cards are getting declined. No Zombie Driver for me I guess.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Bummed to hear how bad some people found various versions of borderlands. Seems like such a great idea for a game.

vazel

Banned
It does sound like a good idea but playing a quests based game with other people can be annoying because different people are on different missions. You're wanting to do missions in sequence but you find you're having to do other people's missions. And sometimes when you want to be an active participant but the other higher level guys run around on their own doing all the work. Only coop I've found as good as the L4D games is Uncharted 2 too bad it's a small component of that game.

52club

commish said:
Bummed to hear how bad some people found various versions of borderlands. Seems like such a great idea for a game.

Bad=slightly above average on gaming forums. Everything about Borderlands is slightly above average in my opinion. It is successful in getting its hooks in you. I know I felt just about obligated to finish it.

I do agree with others that a the game could have used a little more polish, which is why it is only slightly above average.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
52club said:
Bad=slightly above average on gaming forums. Everything about Borderlands is slightly above average in my opinion. It is successful in getting its hooks in you. I know I felt just about obligated to finish it.

I do agree with others that a the game could have used a little more polish, which is why it is only slightly above average.

After this steam sale and the recent list of great console games, I don't have much time for slightly above average games!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gully State said:
That's ridiculous...the PC framerate isn't anything to write home about. It's an unoptimized game period. BL will be the last time I get hyped up for a gearbox game.

What? Borderlands' framerate is very smooth on a mid-range PC. I run at max settings 1920x1200 with a Core 2 Duo 3.2ghz / Radeon 4870 and it is perfectly smooth. The interface and multiplayer are shit on the computer, but it runs great.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
What? Borderlands' framerate is very smooth on a mid-range PC. I run at max settings 1920x1200 with a Core 2 Duo 3.2ghz / Radeon 4870 and it is perfectly smooth. The interface and multiplayer are shit on the computer, but it runs great.

If by smooth you mean 30-40fps, sure.

Game runs like shit, considering the hardware, if you turn on dynamic shadows.

vazel

Banned
Borderlands is GPU heavy on my 4850. I had to lower the resolution from 1600x1200 to 1280x960 to get decent framerates. I don't get 60fps I get about 30-40fps average I think.

Edit: Hah Exodus posted 30-40fps too.

Durante

Could it be that Borderlands has a problem with ATI cards? I ran at a perfect 60 fps on my GTX260, at 1920*1200.
Not saying that the port is particularly good though, the interface on PC really sucks.

dejan

I just realized I have a Day of Defeat: Source guest pass and two passes for Killing Floor. If anyone's interested in one of these just pm me your Steam mail address.

Q8D3vil

Could it be that Borderlands has a problem with ATI cards? I ran at a perfect 60 fps on my GTX260, at 1920*1200.
Not saying that the port is particularly good though, the interface on PC really sucks.
it runs 60-70 fps without v sync ( gtx 295 ) everything max 1920x1080

btw you can cap the fps by editing ini file ( my friend with 8800 gt played it with stable 30 fps the whole game )

Hmmm I just realized what I have been wanting to get, but it has never been on sale at all. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall pack. That bitch has never gone down in price.

Alex

Gully State said:

It's def unoptimized for what it is, but I can get 50-60 FPS average on an E8400, 4GB, 8800GTX on max settings @ 1360x768, since I'm currently using a 720p set to play on. Slows down most in this one "outdoor dungeon" with a lot of water in it, for me. about 40-50ish.

Works for me personally but anything would've seemed like a massive upgrade after the 5-15 FPS overworld combat average on the PS3.

Borderlands is fun enough with friends for a play through or so, but I've never talked to anyone into the concept that has much love for it in retrospect. Kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth afterwards. My main issues were the boring classes, horrible loot and non-existent difficulty. No difficulty options in a loot game is ridiculously stupid to me. If it the loot was fun, I looked forward to spending my talents, and it challenged me, I could've overlooked the samey environments and bland quests.

Every time I try a Gearbox release though, I'm disappointed, so I need to stop.

Haven't tried the little DLC thing. Heard that it has Securom and some 3 install limit or something else hyper restrictive. Figure 2K would be less of a bitch about that after the Bioshock mini-meltdown.

hamchan

Eaten By A Grue said:
Hmmm I just realized what I have been wanting to get, but it has never been on sale at all. The Longest Journey and Dreamfall pack. That bitch has never gone down in price.
I'm also waiting for this. Just bought Hearts of Iron 3 and Zombie Driver, can't wait to see what's on sale in 3 and a half hours.

I want to mess about a bit, so if anyone can guess two of today's five deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam.

Just pick five games, like this:

...and if two are right you win. Oh, and if a few people guess right, then the first person to get two right wins. No multiple winners, or I will be poor.

Guess' stop 3 hours from now, ending 15 mins before the deal goes up (so, X:45 your local time).

poweld

Keyser Soze said:
I want to mess about a bit, so if anyone can guess two of today's five deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam.

...and if two are right you win. Oh, and if a few people guess right, then the first person to get two right wins. No multiple winners, or I will be poor.

Guess' stop 3 hours from now, ending 15 mins before the deal goes up (so, X:45 your local time).
hmm, gonna say..

mass effect
valve pack
aquaria
cod4
plants vs zombies

:D who knows?

Keyser Soze said:

1.Crysis
2.Fallout 3
3.Counter Strike Source
4.Wolfenstien
5.Crysis Warhead

I figure if they can pull what they did with Dragon Age, they might do it with Crysis... if its up today anyway.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Keyser Soze said:

1. Football Manager 2010
2. Earthworm Gym Collection
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
4. Crysis
5. Risen

There.

Won

1.Mass Effect
2.Dawn of War 2
3.Borderlands
4.Garry's Mod
5.Bioshock

There, 5 things that won't appear today!

Roquentin

Keyser Soze said:

1. Borderlands
2. Mass Effect
3. Counter-Strike: Source
4. Zeno Clash
5. Crayon Physics Deluxe

Keyser Soze said:

1. AaaaaaAaaaaaAaaaa
2. Mass Effect
3. Command & Conquer 3
4. Killing Floor
5. Altitude

Zzoram

I bought Indigo Prophecy for $3.39. It's pretty cool, but after 30 minutes I still haven't beaten the opening of the game :lol It's taken me a while to get used to these wonky controls, but I'm liking what I've played. It really does feel like an old school adventure game, but better and in 3D.

vazel

Banned
Zzoram said:
I bought Indigo Prophecy for $3.39. It's pretty cool, but after 30 minutes I still haven't beaten the opening of the game :lol It's taken me a while to get used to these wonky controls, but I'm liking what I've played. It really does feel like an old school adventure game, but better and in 3D.
No adventure game can be better than old Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games. I'll forgive your glee over your new shiny game though.

Zzoram

Man, if you guys are right and Mass Effect goes on sale today, that would make my day. I want it for $5 so badly.

My guess:

1. Mass Effect
2. Trine
3. The Witcher
4. Civilization 4 Complete
5. Saint's Row 2

Top Bottom