• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Man this is like a videogame Woot off. Everyone is just chomping at the bit about what game is coming up. Fun times.

Truespeed

rhfb said:
That isn't really a GTAIV issue though, it is a SecuROM issue. Sure it would be nice if every single game on Steam had no DRM bullshit to deal with, but you live and learn and just don't buy shit in the future if it comes with the warning on the Steam store page of

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™

http://forum.sysinternals.com/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=10337

Yes, it is a SecuROM issue and it even provides a helpful link that specifically identifies Process Explorer as the issue. But, I do consider it a GTA IV issue since they're intertwined together and equally responsible. As for not buying games with SecuROM, Burnout Paradise also uses SecuROM, but I don't see it complaining about Process Explorer. But, ya, live and learn and find the consumer friendly version.

Caoz

Well so far they have been giving me all that I have wanted, and I don't know if I would like more of this, since I'll go broke. But anyways:

mass effect
orange box
street fighter IV
machinarium
half life 2

Killer said:
sorry if that's bothers you, but can i gift the second runner up? i want to make GAF happy today :).

Sounds like a good plan to me, although there is always a chance no one will win at all :p

I honestly hope that does not happen though

Killer

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Sounds like a good plan to me, although there is always a chance no one will win at all :p

I honestly hope that does not happen though

at least we save money for ourselves hehehe.

Drewsky

Leatherface said:
Anyone have "Killing Floor"? How is this game? Is it a Left4Dead ripoff or something?

It's not really that much like L4D except it has zombies. You fight off waves of zombies in one area and buy weapons at the end of waves like in CS. I think it's pretty fun.

Leatherface

Drewsky said:
It's not really that much like L4D except it has zombies. You fight off waves of zombies in one area and buy weapons at the end of waves like in CS. I think it's pretty fun.

Ah ok. Sounds good enough for me. Thanks. :D

noisome07 said:
Not too many pages back, people were giving away friend passes for the game.

Figures! Ah well. :)

My guess for today:

1. THQ complete pack or warhammer pack.
2. Mass Effect (Everyday seems like a new EA title)
3. Tropico 3
4. Half Life 2 Episode 2
5. Crysis

Drewsky said:

yes, ive been thinking of getting this, plus it has 6 player co-op........

bigswords

Success!!! I fix my GTA 4 pc high texture issue! I just had to go to game and disable the clip capture... my gosh I was probably close to my 1 gig vram limit but the clip capture also does take a fair bit...

No missing textures and out of mem crashes whoohooo! Damn it's confirmed, once i put to 1920 x 1080 and high textures if i tried to enable clip capture , it tells me i do not have enough system resources..

Yay me +1

Firestorm said:
No SecuROM should be a condition to put your game on Steam :(

Ugh, reading about this is reminding me of the stupid bullshit fly in the soup that is DRM that I forgotten in years away from any form of PC gaming.

Does anyone have a convenient list somewhere of what games on Steam come with asshole DRM? I know I'm safe as long as I stick to the indie stuff or Valve's own games but I really, really don't want to buy or install anything that has basically any DRM above and beyond the Steam default.

charlequin said:
Ugh, reading about this is reminding me of the stupid bullshit fly in the soup that is DRM that I forgotten in years away from any form of PC gaming.

Does anyone have a convenient list somewhere of what games on Steam come with asshole DRM? I know I'm safe as long as I stick to the indie stuff or Valve's own games but I really, really don't want to buy or install anything that has basically any DRM above and beyond the Steam default.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966005

Zzoram

charlequin said:

The Steam page for a game will mention any 3rd party DRM and/or activation limits. Batman AA has a limit of 4 activations per month, something nobody could actually hit unless they were trying too hard.

Minsc

Gold Member
charlequin said:

There's quite a few Steam games that use TAGES, but it hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of so you can probably ignore it.

I imagine the list of games that use DRM beyond just Steam's is actually quite large based on what I've seen so far (especially if you count limited installs), but I'd be interested in knowing a site that tracks it all if there is one.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Edit: thanks! It just turns out about half the games on that list are ones I'm interested in/own, so that's why I thought it'd be longer, nice to know it's not too out of hand.

Zzoram

The biggest bullshit is that Borderlands doesn't have 3rd party DRM but Zombie Island DLC adds SecuROM. WTF is that, trying to stealth DRM us Randy? What a douche.

Maybe not the time/place for this question but am I right in thinking that a person who owns TF2 as part of the PS3 Orange Box doesn't *really* own TF2?

noisome07

Banned
BothBarsOn said:
Maybe not the time/place for this question but am I right in thinking that a person who owns TF2 as part of the PS3 Orange Box doesn't *really* own TF2?

TF2 on PC is the only way to go. Constant updates, mods, maps, etc.

edit:

double post. my bad.

Zzoram

BothBarsOn said:

Yes. TF2 on PC has had so many free content patches, it isn't even the same game as the console version anymore. There are more than double the official maps now, at least 2 new modes IIRC, and also alternate weapons and hats that you get as random item drops that happen during regular play. Crafting also exists.

bigswords said:
Success!!! I fix my GTA 4 pc high texture issue! I just had to go to game and disable the clip capture... my gosh I was probably close to my 1 gig vram limit but the clip capture also does take a fair bit...
What is 'clip capture'?

JoeBoy101

Quick question on GTA IV for Brain Stew or any of the other PC Gaming geniuses:

Can you force Antialiasing through Nvidia's control panel for the start-up or will it not work? I use it to force V-Sync on Borderlands and assorted items for other games, but some games it won't work on.

Brashnir

JoeBoy101 said:
Quick question on GTA IV for Brain Stew or any of the other PC Gaming geniuses:

Can you force Antialiasing through Nvidia's control panel for the start-up or will it not work? I use it to force V-Sync on Borderlands and assorted items for other games, but some games it won't work on.

Generally speaking those settings only work for OpenGL games. Get RivaTuner (which comes with D3DOverrider - the critical app here) To force settings in D3D games.

noisome07

Banned
TODAY'S DEALS! :D :D :D

Prey
$2.25

Space Siege
$4.99

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
$7.49

Killing Floor
$4.99

The Orange Box
$14.99

Man, I wasn't even close on my guesses! FUCK!

graywolf323

well I'll definitely buy Burnout at that price

isn't Space Siege a rather mediocre game that Sega was even giving away with pre-purchases of Alpha Protocol? back before Alpha Protocol got delayed of course

Top Bottom