• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Papa

Banned
Nabs said:
file >> settings >> downloads >> pick your server there. There's an Aus (Telstra) option. I'm in America, so I don't know if there's anything else you need to set up with your ISP, but that'll get you started.

Cheers mate.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I picked up Burnout, and as someone who is new to the series, I am enjoying it. It actually controls pretty well with the keyboard - my choices are keyboard or pulling out my DF Pro - probably the only driving game I have ever played that does. The marked man and takedown missions are my favorites - along with chasing down new cars. For the price it seems like a no brainer - although the price also makes the DLC prices look extremely ridiculous.
Is there anyway of listening to your own music in the game?

hamchan

Nabs said:
file >> settings >> downloads >> pick your server there. There's an Aus (Telstra) option. I'm in America, so I don't know if there's anything else you need to set up with your ISP, but that'll get you started.
If the server is full it'll change to another server and he'll get his downloads counted.

I'm with Optus so they count my bandwidth no matter.

This http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1230616.html seems to be a pretty popular filter to use. Just set it up so steam only downloads from telstra servers.

Zzoram

I'm still hoping for Mass Effect to finally go on sale. It has been full price at $19.99 during this entire sale, so it must be a daily deal eventually.

Fireblend

Banned
Leatherface said:
Let's post games still available for $10.00 or less that we've purchased and are worth every penny.

Tochlight ($10) - Didn't expect a game this good. A friend gifted it to me and I've spent at least 10 hours already; brilliant game, extremely addictive. My brother already bought a copy for himself and I went ahead and bought a copy for someone else as a delayed xmas present. Really glad I got it now because otherwise I would have never even known it existed. As a bonus, it's also got a netbook mode, which should be convenient for netbook owners looking for a non-puzzle game that will run on their machine.

World of Goo ($5) - Only if there's anyone who has yet to play it. For $5 there's no possible way you'll be disappointed; everything in the game is done right. Art direction, gameplay, soundtrack, overall atmosphere. Just brilliant. I'm a big fan of indie games, and this one is IMO as good as they get.

Audiosurf ($2.49) - I play this every chance I get. It will run well even on netbooks (although the other 2 will as well) and it's just the kind of game I need when I'm studying; ideal for short breaks. Replayability is obviously its best point.

Special Mention: Braid ($2.49) - Played through it a while back and it's another indie gem I love, I wish platformers this good appeared more often. The mechanics are brilliant and they just don't get boring at all.

...Speakng of which, where's the Trine daily sale? I know it's $8, but I'm so cheap I'm still waiting for $5 or under :lol

poppabk

Zzoram said:
I'm still hoping for Mass Effect to finally go on sale. It has been full price at $19.99 during this entire sale, so it must be a daily deal eventually.
I am still hoping to see Crysis go on sale, hopefully for less than $10.

Mass Effect is almost certainly going to be no less then $10 since that is what EA store just discounted it to. I guess that could be cheap enough for someone who hasnt played it before. But considering how long the game has been out I dont think I will be able to re-buy it at that price.

Unfortunately after buying GTA4 I only have a little more then $10 left to spend and I should probably try to get 2 games with that money even though ME is the game I want the most.

poppabk said:
I am still hoping to see Crysis go on sale, hopefully for less than $10.

Not a chance of it being less than $10. Maybe maximum edition for $20

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Think I'm gonna pick up EVE Online. At 5 bucks, I think it's worth it just in case I ever have time for an MMO again.

I know this may lead to a page or two of lists, which will annoy some, but I still cannot create a new thread, and no one won yesterday, so I'll bring this out again in here if no one minds.

If anyone can guess two of today's five deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam.

Just pick five games, like this:

...and if two are right you win!

If a few people guess right, then the first person to get two right wins. No multiple winners, or I will be poor.

Guess' stop a little less than two hours from now, ending 10 mins before the deal goes up (so, X:50 your local time).

Zzoram

Mass Effect better go below $10. It's over 2 years old now, and Bioshock is $5. I think Bioshock sold better than ME1 too.

Dynoro

Zzoram said:
Mass Effect better go below $10. It's over 2 years old now, and Bioshock is $5. I think Bioshock sold better than ME1 too.
Got Mass Effect in its last sale (Nov/Dec time) and can't have been more than $10 - so looks like you're in with a chance

poppabk

Leatherface said:
Let's post games still available for $10.00 or less that we've purchased and are worth every penny.

1. Defense Grid: The Awakening ($7.49)- Really cool tower defense game that has a nice mix of tower building and maze building in some excellently designed levels, a reasonable selection of towers and some nice graphics and sound effects plus some humorous VA.
2. Torchlight ($9.99)- Easy to get into - hard to get out!
3. Outrun 2006 ($2.49!)- Dirt cheap and a perfect arcade racer

Keyser Soze said:
If anyone can guess two of today's five deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam.

Guess' stop a little less than two hours from now, ending 10 mins before the deal goes up (so, X:50 your local time).

1. Mass Effect
2. Assassins Creed
3. Far Cry 2
4. Left 4 Dead
5. Borderlands

confused

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
I know this may lead to a page or two of lists, which will annoy some, but I still cannot create a new thread, and no one won yesterday, so I'll bring this out again in here if no one minds.

1. Mass Effect
2. Crysis
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Fallout 3 GOTY
5. Devil May Cry 4

If a few people guess right, then the first person to get two right wins. No multiple winners, or I will be poor.

Turned out more like my wishlist than what I think will be up.

Fireblend

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
If anyone can guess two of today's five deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam..

1. Trine
2. Mass Effect
3. L4D
4. Fallout 3
5. Machinarium

fatty

Keyser Soze said:

1. Crysis
2. World of Goo
3. Guild Wars
4. Command and Conquer 3
5. Borderlands

Kipe

1. Far Cry 2
2. L4D2
3. Trine
4. World of Goo
5. Borderlands

Wishlist
Prince of Persia Pack
Heroes of Might and Magic Expansions and Dark Messiah
The Void

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
matt404au said:
Cheers mate.
be careful, though. if Steam can't connect to a GameArena server, it will search and find an Internode server or a 3fl server, and Bigpond doesn't cover that. The safest way is to download SteamWatch. It's a simple program you can turn on and off that prevents Steam from downloading from the incorrect servers. Set it so it only downloads off of GameArena.

It's really simple, but if that still is too much effort, just check for yourself. Double-click on a download, and when the progress bar comes up, make sure the logo under it says "GameArena".

Happy downloading! :D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
1. Mass Effect
2. Fallout 3 GOTY
3. Machinarium
4. Plants and Zombies
5. Crysis

just wishful thinking.

Keyser Soze said:

1. Fallout 3 GotY
2. Street Fighter IV
3. Aquaria
4. Dirt 2
5. Cities XL

Not what I want to be on sale (besides Fallout and Aquaria and maybe Dirt 2), but my guesses nonetheless.

Spwn

Keyser Soze said:

1. Defcon
2. Mini Ninjas
3. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
4. Civilization IV Complete
5. Shattered Horizon

I've been wishing a Defcon sale for some time now.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
There's no chance i'll win this so i am doing it for fun XD

1. Mass Effect
2. Left 4 dead
3. Altitude
4. Counter strike source
5. The Witcher

fanboi

Banned
Anyone know how to start BF2? It tries to install Punkbuster but it seems to fail... run on Win 7 RC 64 bit. I also runt Steam in admin mode.

Frawdder

Ah what the hell, might as well give it a shot (Not what I want, just random guesses)

1. Risen
2. Sam & Max Complete
3. Dirt 2
4. Men Of War
5. Tropico 3

Again, I just went through the store real quick and just picked out 5 at random.

Since we're posting our monthly bandwidth consumptions...

bandwidth.jpg

That's what I get for $20 a month over in Canada :O

Leatherface

Some good games posted earlier guys. Think I'm at least gonna pick up Outrun 2006. Is this the same version as released on consoles? The screenshots look bleh.

Anyway-The countdown to new games begins!!

My guesses:

1. Batman: Dark Asylum
2. Borderlands
3. Crysis
4. Plant's vs Zombies
5. Fallout 3 GOTY edition

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1. Tomb Raider: Legends
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
3. Portal
4. Fallout 3
5: Batman: AA

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TouchMyBox said:
Since we're posting our monthly bandwidth consumptions...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/TouchMyBox/bandwidth.jpg[IMG]

That's what I get for $20 a month over in Canada :O[/QUOTE]
Who the hell are you with? Rogers is reaming me!

List: CounterStrike Source, Fallout 3 GOTY, Trine, Aion, Company of Heroes Complete.

Garou

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
3. Street Fighter IV
4. Mass Effect
5. Prince of Persia Pack

Keyser Soze said:

1. Mass Effect
2. Dawn of War 2
3. Wolfenstein ('09)
4. Company of Heroes Complete
5. Codemasters complete pack

Top Bottom