• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

I've played Mr. Robot and it's definitely worth $2 if you like old school platforming/puzzles.

Also, I just mentioned this in the Xbox Live thread, but NO ONE should be complaining about Steam deals here.

360 is doing a deal every day through New Year's and the deal of the day is an SD rental of Batman Returns for 80 MS Points instead of 160.

*Facepalm*

Brashnir

Picked up Mr. Robot and Jade Empire. I figured an 83 metascore + works on my laptop was too good to pass up for 2 bucks, and I never did get around to playing JE. I think it's the only Bioware game I never played, so I couldn't pass it up.

poweld

Spy said:
Now I get this error when I try to purchase something.

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.
This happened to me yesterday. Eventually I got an email saying my card was declined. I remembered this exact thing happened to me during the Aquaria sale a few moths back... tried again and everything went smoothly.

I think it took about 40 minutes for the charge to fail.

danielijohnson said:
I've played Mr. Robot and it's definitely worth $2 if you like old school platforming/puzzles.

Also, I just mentioned this in the Xbox Live thread, but NO ONE should be complaining about Steam deals here.

360 is doing a deal every day through New Year's and the deal of the day is an SD rental of Batman Returns for 80 MS Points instead of 160.

*Facepalm*
:lol :lol :lol

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Hmmm ... taking a pass today.

So far, I've only picked up:

-Audiosurf
-Indigo Prophecy
-Torchlight
-Luxor 3

Luxor 3 was the cheapest game of all of them, and my only regret at this point. How the hell does Torchlight run like a champ on my laptop at the highest settings without turning on netbook mode, but this P.O.S. puzzle game has a framerate like I'm trying to run Crysis?!

danielijohnson said:

*Facepalm*

Holy shit.

I've never gotten the Jade Empire hate, it's a frickin' BioWare RPG! I thoroughly enjoyed it when I played it on Xbox. As always a great story, I will say I can't recall to many of the characters from it so I guess that's a weakness but I liked the new more real time combat and the world was lovely to look at. The game looked amazing at the time, no idea how it'll hold up now but I doubt it looks bad by any stretch.

PS I still have a couple of Killing Floor guest passes if anyone wants um, just shoot me a PM with your Steam id/email. Also have a spare HL2: Ep1 sitting doing nothing so if anyone doesn't have it already tis yours.

Spy

poweld said:
This happened to me yesterday. Eventually I got an email saying my card was declined. I remembered this exact thing happened to me during the Aquaria sale a few moths back... tried again and everything went smoothly.

I think it took about 40 minutes for the charge to fail.
You were right about that, the payment just failed and I bought everything again with no problems.

Thanks!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
danielijohnson said:

*Facepalm*
Jesus Christ.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
randomlyrossy said:
I've never gotten the Jade Empire hate, it's a frickin' BioWare RPG! I thoroughly enjoyed it when I played it on Xbox. As always a great story, I will say I can't recall to many of the characters from it so I guess that's a weakness but I liked the new more real time combat and the world was lovely to look at. The game looked amazing at the time, no idea how it'll hold up now but I doubt it looks bad by any stretch.

The combat was horrendous. Dialogue and story were fine, but the 'game' parts really didn't match up.

I tried the Mr. Robot demo, but the first time playing I screwed up an NPC in the intro by just standing in front of them. Not a big deal, but what really bothered me was how annoying the demo spam was. There was one screen overlaying the main menu and a warning about the 60 minute timer, a constant starburst in the top-right corner, a button on the PDA to buy the game, another splash screen part of the way through, then when I tried to exit after my first Virus battle (oh boy, RPG battles in an isometric puzzle platformer), it shoved up a page with "HI I'M THE DEVELOPER'S DOG BUY THE GAME," no thanks, ok, you're still making me step through several pages of screenshots about features of the game before you're letting me exit even now, and what looked like an ad for a different game?

I'm sure none of these things will bother me in the full game release, other than the NPC glitch and slightly sluggish controls, but that was an irritating demo that doesn't deserve to be rewarded, I'm sorry.

Alex

randomlyrossy said:
I've never gotten the Jade Empire hate, it's a frickin' BioWare RPG!

It is, but it's a pretty lousy one to me. Brain dead, mash happy combat, hyper linearity, poor characters and plot and just AWFUL dialogue. I don't think it was a terrible game, but it was pretty forgettable at the least.

Mass Effect was a much better stab at a simpler action-RPG, and hopefully Mass Effect 2 can improve on the disappointing towns/hubs, tiny campaign, awful side missions gig.

After Dragon Age PC I've regained some faith.

52club

Tom Penny said:
I hope torchlight gets better. I'm somehow not getting my $4.99 worth.

Care to elaborate? Also what was the last game that you purchased that you felt like you did get your $$$ worth?

Without this information it is hard to consider your opinion a valid one.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Kulock said:
I tried the Mr. Robot demo, but the first time playing I screwed up an NPC in the intro by just standing in front of them. Not a big deal, but what really bothered me was how annoying the demo spam was. There was one screen overlaying the main menu and a warning about the 60 minute timer, a constant starburst in the top-right corner, a button on the PDA to buy the game, another splash screen part of the way through, then when I tried to exit after my first Virus battle (oh boy, RPG battles in an isometric puzzle platformer), it shoved up a page with "HI I'M THE DEVELOPER'S DOG BUY THE GAME," no thanks, ok, you're still making me step through several pages of screenshots about features of the game before you're letting me exit even now, and what looked like an ad for a different game?

I'm sure none of these things will bother me in the full game release, other than the NPC glitch and slightly sluggish controls, but that was an irritating demo that doesn't deserve to be rewarded, I'm sorry.

2 dollars.

epmode

anddo0 said:
Picked up Jade Empire. I'll play it with my wired 360 controller.

Does Splinter Cell Chaos Theory support gamepads?
I've read that it does and I wound up buying the game because of this. However, now that I'm looking for more concrete proof, I'm finding it difficult.

Can anyone confirm that Chaos Theory has native gamepad support pls? I won't be able to test until later today.
DryvBy2 said:
And this might be your... opinion?
It's a fact, like everything else on the internet. You're wrong.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i like to fill in the gaps steam leaves in their daily deals with hidden treasures.

today's is ghost master. comes highly recommended. apparently.

let's see what £1 can get me these days.

52club

Been thinking about it, I just can't justify Jade Empire even at this price with KOTOR, Dragon Age, and all the FallOut 3 DLC content in my PC Action RPG backlog. Looks like it will be another day of not buying anything.

These are great deals though, and if I didn't have my current backlog which includes additional console games I would definitely pick up Jade Empire and Mr. Robot.

DryvBy

Nishastra said:
I'm not talking about the merchants, and regardless, neither of those is $3.

Well, specify next time. I also didn't just say for PC, now did I? So, technically I am right since used it's $2.77 on Amazon for Xbox. :D See how that works?

Edit: The $40 package is shipping from CdromUSA, not Amazon. So it is a merchant.

Gexecuter said:
2 dollars.
two_dollars.jpg

Owzers

DryvBy2 said:
Well, specify next time. I also didn't just say for PC, now did I? So, technically I am right since used it's $2.77 on Amazon for Xbox. :D See how that works?

NO! I think it's safe to agree that Jade Empire PC for $3.75 is a GOOD deal.

RedSwirl said:
Holy crap. Mass Effect is the only BioWare game I've ever played and I'm on track to get almost all of them now because of these deals.

How's Jade Empire? I don't find generic European-style fantasy very interesting but this take on Asian fantasy is something I've kinda wanted to see RPGs do. How far does this game take it? Is it it's own fantasy world or does BioWare pull straight from Chinese mythology?

If you care at all about gameplay(combat mechanics, level design etc..) then stay far away from Jade Empire.

Top Bottom