• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Product Details
Downloading: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address

Well, I'm Australian >:

You only need to input a US address on checkout, it doesn't matter if you pay with an international card

Yep, you're right. I should know this by now lol.

What games do you want? I have an Orange Box I could trade you for a cheap game =)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, let's do this:
0CFe8.png

D'oh:
c66pW.png

Achievements I don't have:
- Spiral Knights (no interest)
- Rise of Immortals (have never heard of it, just assuming it sucks because it's f2p)
- Bunch of Heroes (looks pretty bad)
- The Polynomial (not going to buy, no interest)
- Red Orchestra 2 (not going to buy, no interest)
- Tropico 4 (not going to buy, might buy at <=$5)
- Payday (not going to buy, waiting for <=$5)
- Jurassic Park (not going to buy, waiting for <=$5)
- Space Marine (not going to buy, waiting for <=$5)

- Cargo (considering buying)
- Guardians of Graxia (leaning towards not buying)
- AI War (don't know anything about this game)
- Anomaly: Warzone Earth (don't know anything about this game)

I still say that my coupon for the MumboJumbo pack is the best, it bestows upon me the privilege of buying the pack for only $70 more than the sale price!

I have the Orange Box, but thank you. I'm looking mostly for Counter Strike: Source and Counter Strike 1.6. Maybe Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2.
If you absolutely have to, choose L4D2 over L4D. Hopefully they'll be in a two-pack like before, though. 2 has all of 1's campaigns in it now, but 1 still has some differences that make it unique. Can't go wrong with either, but L4D2 has the better amount of content. Just my two cents as a big fan of the games.

Bumping for new page.
Is it an Achievement from today or an older one? If neither, you aren't getting anything until it becomes part of the objectives.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I crafted my coal and get another valve coupon for 25% off. At least the good news is I'm collecting a vast amount of valve coupons even though I own every game they have except for condition zero.

I much preferred the free DLCs from the Summer Camp sale.

I mean, most of them were $1 or $2 DLCs, but at least you could choose what you wanted and a lot of it remains unique to the Summer Camp sale.

cWKsa.png

Never forget.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Has anyone else gotten a DOTA2 key from Rise of the Immortals?

I'd be a great troll if you were more likely to get one from that achievement

If you absolutely have to, choose L4D2 over L4D. Hopefully they'll be in a two-pack like before, though. 2 has all of 1's campaigns in it now, but 1 still has some differences that make it unique. Can't go wrong with either, but L4D2 has the better amount of content. Just my two cents as a big fan of the games.

Is it an Achievement from today or an older one? If neither, you aren't getting anything until it becomes part of the objectives.

I had no idea that they did that. I will definitely get L4D2 then if I must choose between one.

dani_dc

Guys, I bought Sonic Generations the other day at Amazon for $15, and it doesn't have PC controls! So, I'm thinking about buying a 360 controller. How do they work with PCs? I have a PS3 and Dualshocks but don't want to go through all the trouble to get JoyinMotion working. Is a 360 controller just plug and play? Do I just put in a USB adapter and use it like a wireless mouse? Do I need to get a certain type of 360 controller? Please help. :-\

I just booted the game and I was able to play it with the keyboard just fine.
With that said, It probably won't take that long to set the motionjoy and you can use that to emulate the 360 controller, probably faster (and definitively cheaper) than buying a 360 controller.

Was the defense grid one yesterday, did it last night and shows complete on the list of objectives. Yet got nothing for it.
Try going into TF2's backpack and moving around stuff, then exit and check your inventory again. You can also do it with Portal 2 or Spiral Knights (this one you just play for a bit)

I had no idea that they did that. I will definitely get L4D2 then if I must choose between one.
Glad I could help. Gotta look out after my GAF brethren.

mrgone

About ordering games from Amazon Digital from outside the US, the address they're lasking for is a billing address. Don't they use that address for credit card verification? I'm just wondering if a mismatch could get the order denied or, at worst, get your card locked up. That's a ridiculously good price for Shogun 2!

allansm

About ordering games from Amazon Digital from outside the US, the address they're lasking for is a billing address. Don't they use that address for credit card verification? I'm just wondering if a mismatch could get the order denied or, at worst, get your card locked up. That's a ridiculously good price for Shogun 2!

I bought three games from them using a fake american address and everything went fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just booted the game and I was able to play it with the keyboard just fine.
With that said, It probably won't take that long to set the motionjoy and you can use that to emulate the 360 controller, probably faster (and definitively cheaper) than buying a 360 controller.

Yeah, Motioninjoy isn't hard to get working at all. With the newer versions, you don't have to mess around with allowing unsigned drivers and such, since the driver is now signed. I got my DS3 working very quickly by following the install instructions.

One thing to note, however, is that if you want to get it working over Bluetooth, the DS3 BT driver will completely override your BT device's default driver, meaning you can't use that BT device for anything other than your DS3 anymore. For me that's not a problem, since I really have no other uses for BT (all phone apps and such which communicate wirelessly seem to do it over Wi-Fi anyway nowadays), and being able to use my DS3 wirelessly from the couch sure is nice!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Take the risk and get a terrible coupon again or hoard them and end up not winning in the final contest...

Decisions, decisions. Hmmmm

Let's assume only 5 million people enter--I believe more will. Let's assume everyone except for you has 1 piece of coal--I believe the average will be higher. Let's assume you have 20 pieces of coal. Your odds of winning any prize are about 0.4%. I assume you have the Valve games you want. Your odds of winning a real prize are about 0.06%. I suspect your real odds will be significantly lower because of how generous I was on those factors. (You can calculate this yourself; binomial distribution probability calculator: success per trial = 1/(total number of coal), number of trials = 1151 or 151)

What do you guys think the odds of crafting coal to generate any game (not necessarily a good one)? Probably 5-10% or so?

allansm

Let's assume only 5 million people enter--I believe more will. Let's assume everyone except for you has 1 piece of coal--I believe the average will be higher. Let's assume you have 20 pieces of coal. Your odds of winning any prize are about 0.4%. I assume you have the Valve games you want. Your odds of winning a real prize are about 0.06%. I suspect your real odds will be significantly lower because of how generous I was on those factors.

What do you guys think the odds of crafting coal to generate any game (not necessarily a good one)? Probably 5-10% or so?

Considering this, I think I will craft 7 of my 12 pieces of coal.

TGMIII

After crafting 7 coal twice and getting coupons that I literately don't think I'll ever get rid of I'm done crafting the coal. Going to take my chances with one of the end prizes.

Kuroyume

Banned
Should people wait for deals even on the $5 and under games? I want Polynomial and Terrari and I'm wondering if I should wait a bit.

Oh, and for the Defcon achievement 1 coal =/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Should people wait for deals even on the $5 and under games? I want Polynomial and Terrari and I'm wondering if I should wait a bit.

Terraria is very likely to be featured in a daily deal for $2.50, as it was during the Autumn sale. It's most-fucking-definitely worth full price, and then some, but wait it out if you're pinching pennies. No idea about Polynomial, though.

If they're 75% off, I think it's safe to say they aren't going to get any cheaper. But don't take my word for it. If it's 50% off instead, just wait ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Polynomial is not going to get any cheaper, since it's a daily achievement thing and not a daily deal. Terraria has been a daily deal in previous sales. I'd wait on it. If you really don't want to wait, you're probably (PROBABLY, not definitely) safe buying something at 75% off.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Let's assume only 5 million people enter--I believe more will. Let's assume everyone except for you has 1 piece of coal--I believe the average will be higher. Let's assume you have 20 pieces of coal. Your odds of winning any prize are about 0.4%. I assume you have the Valve games you want. Your odds of winning a real prize are about 0.06%. I suspect your real odds will be significantly lower because of how generous I was on those factors.

I looked at it more simple.

They have 151 prizes. 1000 of them are no better than a coupon since most of us already own every Valve title as it is. Might as well risk it on another useless coupon than hoping you get a wishlist hit.

I will say unlike the previous sale, which did make me drop a bit of extra cash on games I was indecisive about, but had an achievement. This has done the opposite. There isn't any incentive for me who has got nothing but coupons, to dip in on something prematurely.

Vamphuntr

Yeah the probability to get a game seems really low.

I crafted them and got a Portal 2 50%off coupon :(. They really should have went with a redeeming system granting you small prizes instead. It's not really fun to get worthless coupons out of this. It would have been more rewarding to acquire cheap (value wise) unique in game items and DLC instead of getting nothing/coupons.

The contest is not over though and I'm not throwing the towel yet as I still have many of the games on the wiki.

I'm still having fun with contest anyway. I had many of these games fron the indie bundles and I would never have tried them if it wasn't for the promotion.

If I get coal I'm just going to craft it. I've gotten the major titles I've wanted from this sale thanks to awesome friends, and strangely, the idea of having every game on Steam is a bit of a turn-off. I won't be able to enjoy these sales with my fellow peasants because I would have everything. Sales wouldn't be an event anymore, just, "Oh, a sale? Cool, I guess." It would be lonely.

I mean, look at us. We really are peasants. KNEES DEEP IN COAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom