• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Anyone wants to do the Dawn of War II: Retribution achievement with me? I'm still playing DOWII vanilla so I will be murdered pretty badly in multiplayer if I want to do this alone.

Basically this is how it's done:

I'm available. I can idle and do something else :p

Ifrit

Nevermind, RoI registration site is so hammered I can't even register to play the game. F this.

Yeah, I couldn't even update the game, it gave me patching error and my system froze. Had to restart only to start the update process again

I think I'll bail too for now, maybe some other day

EDIT: Oops sorry DP

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The 1st steam achievement (inventory) gives 2 gifts, one being a valve coupon.
I got 2 pieces of coal for joining the Holiday group. I guess you can get more than 1 piece at a time or they just finally gave me the piece they owed me from the first day when all I got was the Valve coupon.

naib

I can see how the "Catch a Cold" achievement would make someone hate Toki Tori. I had to bust out the gamepad for the last few snowflakes.
That game is best taken in leisurely IMO.

Im not sure exactly how many, but I had a shit load of crowns when i started trying to get the spiral knight achievement. 2 days later no snow map and no more crowns. I'm seriously pissed at this dumb achievement.

Vamphuntr

Im not sure exactly how many, but I had a shit load of crowns when i started trying to get the spiral knight achievement. 2 days later no snow map and no more crowns. I'm seriously pissed at this dumb achievement.

The snow map is random in lockdown mode though. Are you sure it's totally gone? I think it's supposed to be up for the the duraiton of the sale.

dani_dc

So...Dark Void Zero for 99 cents. Worth it?

Keep in mind the game has Securom and "5 machines installation" limit.

Guess I got lucky, got a snowmap on the first attempt, so did the other two people I know off who tried to get the acheivement.

Its random. i just couldn't get in 2 days and bunch of tries. And now after maybe 20 to 30 matches im out of crowns and just seriously pissed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One the game finishes re-installing (like 10-15 mins), I'm gonna do the Space Marine cheevo so join me if you need a partner for it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just nuked santa and got Hunted: The Demons Forge. Gabe giveth and then gabe slapeth on the back of the head and er... laugheth?

I actually would have loved to got that game. I've been waiting for it and Bulletstorm lol.

So don't be talking down to those who only get coupons.

Hylian7

Okay, fuck Rise of Immortals. I do not have the patience to stick around long enough to get 10 assists. It ain't worth my time.

IrishNinja

stupid question, but - anyone ever bought the sega genesis classic packs? do they launch/track individually, or with a launcher? cause ive got a bunch in some collection but the launcher kinda sucks.

Kuroyume

Banned
1 coal for the Polynomial achievement so for this current set of achievements that's 2 coals. The other for Rise of the Immortals.

As for Polynomial, what I've played of it isn't very much a game but holy fuck is this one of the most beautiful games ever created. I played Perfume's Edge while playing it and it was so freaking good. I'm going to try playing it drunk soon to see what it's like. So pretty.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
stupid question, but - anyone ever bought the sega genesis classic packs? do they launch/track individually, or with a launcher? cause ive got a bunch in some collection but the launcher kinda sucks.

I've bought some of the games individually, but it just installs the launcher program and only gives you access to the games you've purchased.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well if you want to waste coal on shitty coupons I could offer you a better deal than Steam. :p

I'll give you 15 coal(When I get it), for Bulletstorm.

Probably should post in this thread, but can anyone get Crimecraft to work? Downloaded it for the cheevo and well... its stuck updating with 147k >_>

ZZMitch

Huh so I just completed an objective and got Half Life 2: Episode 2. I didn't know you could get games by doing that! I just started doing objectives today.

IrishNinja

I've bought some of the games individually, but it just installs the launcher program and only gives you access to the games you've purchased.

well, that fucking sucks. i wonder if it's the same shit installer.
does it at least track them individually? id hate to put all these hours into Shining Force 2 and have my peers think i'm playing Flicky on the low.

Feep

Banned
I can't get the Sequence achievement to work. I've been defeating Holiday Whompa's on Floor One like crazy, to no avail. Anyone else?
The only explanation I can think of is that your internet is somehow being blocked when the achievement is activated. The code is so simple that I can't imagine it could be bugged, and there are no other reports of problems...but if your internet is messed up, the callback from Steam can't be registered correctly, and you won't receive the achievement...?

Joe Molotov

well, that fucking sucks. i wonder if it's the same shit installer.
does it at least track them individually? id hate to put all these hours into Shining Force 2 and have my peers think i'm playing Flicky on the low.

No, it just shows up as Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics.

linko9

So I have a coupon for 50% off vice city... and you can only use it starting Jan 2.

Vice City is currently on sale for 50% off... and this sale ends Jan 2.

Unless for some odd reason, on the day of Jan. 2, I can buy the game for 75% off, this coupon seems to be 100% worthless.

The only explanation I can think of is that your internet is somehow being blocked when the achievement is activated. The code is so simple that I can't imagine it could be bugged, and there are no other reports of problems...but if your internet is messed up, the callback from Steam can't be registered correctly, and you won't receive the achievement...?

It's showing up now. Your internet theory sounds plausible, as my connection has been weird tonight.

Still enjoying the game!

mrgone

Wow, Rise of Immortals isn't the worst thing I've done for sale prizes! I figured it'd be a godawful experience with all the hate here, but it just felt like a cheesy dollar store version of DOTA with unintentionally hilarious characters. I imagine the nuts and bolts of it feel all wrong to people who actually know their way around a MOBA, but I actually had something approaching fun playing a 3v3 game against bots

Card Boy

Banned
It doesn't look any different from other MOBA games. What makes it worse than HoN, LoL, or DotA?

Since my comment will get buried i will keep it short

-Its Pay2Win. it has a rune system but the only way to get those runes is to pay for them (no IP points like LoL)
-Artstyle and graphics is something out of the 90's, even Iphone games look better than it
-Fluidity, it doesn't have smoothness in the animations especially the movement and attack animations which is cruicial for last hitting
-Heroes are some of the uglyies heroes ever made, the developers love this according to the Steam forums. The player numbers say otherwise
-Lag, the game cant even maintain 500 people concurrently without horrendous lag

There are someone small things that add up to the overall shitness of the package but since this thread moves too fast there is no point explaining them.

I got an OT if you want to discuss the game.

mrgone

So I randomly obtained a 25% off Value published games voucher. That's cool, I guess?

How do I use it?

If it's blue you have to wait until after the sale, if it's gold you can use it with the sale.

I think it'll automatically ask you if you want to use your coupon when you checkout with an eligible title.

Mush

If it's blue you have to wait until after the sale, if it's gold you can use it with the sale.

I think it'll automatically ask you if you want to use your coupon when you checkout with an eligible title.
Dang. :(

I also have a piece of coal, which is weird since I have been hunting for daily achievements. Maybe Gabe was just feeling kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom