• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many (and late, because I was out all day!) thanks to Jim-Jam Bongs for gifting me the Steam edition of Morrowind! Haven't played it in years, can't wait.

Jasoco

Banned
I have a piece of coal too, and I'm not even participating in this confusing stuff you all are caught up in.

I also have a 25% off coupon. Is that 25% off the sale price or original price accumulative?

Kabouter

Crafted me some coal, got 50% off Demolition Inc. Which now sits in my inventory next to my other 50% off Demolition Inc. The whole thing is made better still due to the fact that the game is discounted 75% right now. Oh, and I already own the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Crafted me some coal, got 50% off Demolition Inc. Which now sits in my inventory next to my other 50% off Demolition Inc. The whole thing is made better still due to the fact that the game is discounted 75% right now. Oh, and I already own the game.

This will serve as a reminder to me that waiting for the extremely off chance of winning all the games will be a better in the long run.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The only saving grace is if the coupons stack in some fashion. Which is very unlikely.

Speaking of which what the hell are we supposed to do with all these useless coupons that likely wont stack on a sale price game next year?! Any sane steam user knos that only like 10% of the coupons actually have a worthwhile discount.

Fou-Lu

Whoo 50% off Beat Hazard Complete. The exact price it is at right now. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see a 75% off daily.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Like I said, people saying x game is horrible are simply basing it off of getting the Christmas achievement. I mean, this is the only place I've heard where "Spiral Knights is bad!" when so far it's pretty neutral.

Anyway, Renegade Ops haven't appeared in a daily right?

Big-E

Someone sell me on Avadon and Divinity II. I want to buy these games if GAF gives me the ok. Gabe needs more money from me today.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Like I said, people saying x game is horrible are simply basing it off of getting the Christmas achievement. I mean, this is the only place I've heard where "Spiral Knights is bad!" when so far it's pretty neutral.

Nope, but its $3 on Amazon right now.

Danj

I think the reverse is probably true though; that's to say, if you enjoy getting the Christmas achievement, chances are the whole game will be enjoyable to you. I'm certainly finding that with Defense Grid.

Boss Doggie

Nope, but its $3 on Amazon right now.

Yeah thought as much. Stupid amazon not accepting paypal

I think the reverse is probably true though; that's to say, if you enjoy getting the Christmas achievement, chances are the whole game will be enjoyable to you. I'm certainly finding that with Defense Grid.

Oh I'm not denying that it's enjoyable, but honestly a lot of the joy comes from the fact that the achievement is easy to achieve.

Clydefrog

Someone sell me on Avadon and Divinity II. I want to buy these games if GAF gives me the ok. Gabe needs more money from me today.

Divinity II was great; I thoroughly enjoyed the 40+ hours I got out of it. I just bought Avadon so I can't tell you much about it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I finally booted up Dungeons of Dredmor because it had a daily cheevo, but now I'm enjoying it on it's own. Both arguments are true, you'll find that earning the cheevo can be fun or tedious depending on how much the game appeals to you, although it's worth noting that not all cheevos are created equal. Some are so quick and easy that you won't have time to properly evaluate the game, and some can highlight a frustrating part of a good game.

...STEAM GODS, IF YOU CAN HEAR ME...

GRANT ME THIS: HOT PURSUIT 2010. $5 DAILY DEAL. TODAY.

PLEASE GABE-GOD AND STEAM BUTTON PUSHING MONKEY-GOD, GRANT ME THIS WISH BECAUSE I'VE SPENT SO MUCH ALREADY AND OH, WHAT'S $5 MORE ANYWAYS?

If you like Fallout and Baldur's Gate 2, you will like Avadon.

If you liked Divinity 1/Risen/The Witcher/other awesome euro-RPGs, Divinity II will make you very happy.

Boss Doggie

I finally booted up Dungeons of Dredmor because it had a daily cheevo, but now I'm enjoying it on it's own. Both arguments are true, you'll find that earning the cheevo can be fun or tedious depending on how much the game appeals to you, although it's worth noting that not all cheevos are created equal. Some are so quick and easy that you won't have time to properly evaluate the game, and some can highlight a frustrating part of a good game.

Exactly.

I mean, I really enjoy Champions Online so much that it's my second most-played game, but you wouldn't see me do its achievement. People who want to get the achievement so quickly will definitely be frustrated so much that they'll say it's a crappy game.

Jasoco

Banned
...STEAM GODS, IF YOU CAN HEAR ME...

GRANT ME THIS: HOT PURSUIT 2010. $5 DAILY DEAL. TODAY.

PLEASE GABE-GOD AND STEAM BUTTON PUSHING MONKEY-GOD, GRANT ME THIS WISH BECAUSE I'VE SPENT SO MUCH ALREADY AND OH, WHAT'S $5 MORE ANYWAYS?
Is Hot Pursuit 2010 comparable to the original Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit? Because I was fucking pissed when the NFS series went all "Underground" and switched to city racing like so many shitty racing games do these days. I liked the old days where the race tracks took place on country roads or in small towns or by the ocean.

Sanjay

Valve masters of trolling.

Wow, Rise of Immortals isn't the worst thing I've done for sale prizes! I figured it'd be a godawful experience with all the hate here, but it just felt like a cheesy dollar store version of DOTA with unintentionally hilarious characters. I imagine the nuts and bolts of it feel all wrong to people who actually know their way around a MOBA, but I actually had something approaching fun playing a 3v3 game against bots

Yeah, I kind of enjoyed it, too. Might even play it again some time when I'm drunk.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, the monsters in Dredmor say "fus ro dah", among other funny comments and references. "Your mother is a radish" is good too.

Spiral Knights IS bad, though. It's boring and repetitive - an MMO without the good parts.

Jasoco

Banned
I believe as long as you have the code that's all you need to give him when the time comes. Not sure though if Steam actually sends the code through the service or just gives it to you to copy/paste to a friend.

Edit: derp?

Sober

Lol, the monsters in Dredmor say "fus ro dah", among other funny comments and references. "Your mother is a radish" is good too.
Dredmor monster comments are the best.

Also, although not all holiday achievements are made equal, I wish they were all SP, because having to rely on other people is silly or not worth the grief.

That being said, I got the 15 minute survival achievement on Beat Hazard. I'm kinda surprised what reactions will come up when it comes up on the pile. I've played maybe 5 hours out of it so I have tons of perks to use (had to swap some out for survival since I never gave it much a try), but I'm expecting it to be fuck hard for people who just pick it up and try to get it. Hopefully they stop at the 10 minute one at most.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Looking at this thread has shown me how lucky I am compared to some people.

I have 7 gift pile achievements so far, the result (Default Valve voucher aside):

4 Coal
Killing Floor
Rome: Total War
Uplink

Yes, not the highest value of games, but to get 3 free games at any rate is a pretty good result. Now I have said this, I'll get 10% off a Codemasters game or something next.

Boss Doggie

Spiral Knights IS bad, though. It's boring and repetitive - an MMO without the good parts.

Eh it's repetitive and boring I'll give you that and definitely uninspired, but it's not something offensive as to a lot of people have said here (again, most of the hate comes from the fact that they don't know what to do).

nGPU5.jpg

Oh shit, I didn't even think this existed. It's like the holy grail.

66% off an Activision game. :O

Should say 1 of 3 in the bottom corner.

Lucario

So a few days ago I decide to get in on the achievements, launch Dungeons of Dredgemor, figure out how to make diggle nog without a guide..

Then spend 12 hours playing it. Holy shit this game is AMAZING. Too bad it's buggy as all hell.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So that'll give you MW2 for $10? $15 is the typical sale price, Activision are cheap. It's a fun game, though, definitely worth the sale price if you're into that kind of thing.

Eh it's repetitive and boring I'll give you that and definitely uninspired, but it's not something offensive as to a lot of people have said here (again, most of the hate comes from the fact that they don't know what to do).

I find these things "offensive", in that it actively makes me dislike a game so much that I would tell other people I don't like it. I can't be the only one, clearly.

Boss Doggie

I find these things "offensive", in that it actively makes me dislike a game so much that I would tell other people I don't like it. I can't be the only one, clearly.

Oh I've seen people who enjoy those things - it's low threshold enough. I mean, a lot of people can play shooters and seem to have no problem at all, so it's fair game.

Is Hot Pursuit 2010 comparable to the original Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit? Because I was fucking pissed when the NFS series went all "Underground" and switched to city racing like so many shitty racing games do these days. I liked the old days where the race tracks took place on country roads or in small towns or by the ocean.

Yes! It's basically Hot Pursuit 3. I loved Hot Pursuit 2, and HP3 is a really nice return to the series, but with a Burnout twist.

Truespeed

so are the alien breed games any good? im tempted to pick up the pack.....oh god what am i doing i have so many games

The problem with Alien Swarm is that it's multiplayer only - which may or may not be a problem for you, but I like having a single player component for this type of game. I downloaded the Alien Breed 2 demo and actually liked it. The graphics are nice and it controlled pretty good with the 360 controller. The camera was a bit annoying at times, but never got in the way. Download the demo and check it out for yourself. My only complaint about the trilogy is that it feels like the same game remixed 3 times. Regardless, for $5 and change it's still a very good deal.

Truespeed

I'm considering buying Blur and I was just wondering if anyone knew the status of the multiplayer servers and whether they would be shutting down soon. The latter has me more concerned as the studio is no longer around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom