• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Blur is really good even in single player. I got a good 15-20 hours of it and while it wasn't as good as the PGR campaigns, it was a lot of fun. Bizarre makes really fun races. It's a bit repetitive in game types but the racing model is excellent and the tracks are fantastic.

The online is pretty dead but there's usually at least 10 people in the world playing it so you can get a race going. The MP is A++++++

Speevy

Banned
Even though I have to turn the settings way down, I have to second the Blur recommendation.

It's a very enjoyable racing/action game.

So I tried to get Portal 2 for $7.49 the other day, but my US debit card was refused because I'm in Japan. By the time customer service removed the lock, it was back up to $15. =/

StuBurns

Banned
So I tried to get Portal 2 for $7.49 the other day, but my US debit card was refused because I'm in Japan. By the time customer service removed the lock, it was back up to $15. =/
Then you're lucky virtually everyone on Steam has vouchers they don't care at all about that mean you can buy it half price any time till March.

Shaneus

Blur is really good even in single player. I got a good 15-20 hours of it and while it wasn't as good as the PGR campaigns, it was a lot of fun. Bizarre makes really fun races. It's a bit repetitive in game types but the racing model is excellent and the tracks are fantastic.

The online is pretty dead but there's usually at least 10 people in the world playing it so you can get a race going. The MP is A++++++
Yup. It's also amazing (yet not a big surprise, given how enamoured I was with PGR4) just how tight the gameplay is. Nothing ever feels cheap or that a win is out of reach. The balance is even better (IMO!!!) than most, if not all the Mario Kart games I've played.

Even though I have to turn the settings way down, I have to second the Blur recommendation.

It's a very enjoyable racing/action game.
Very unoptimised. I've found that the best performance can be had by completely disabling Crossfire (if you have it), upgrading your CPU (well, worked for me), disabling Surface Format Optimization and dragging the texture filtering slider to the far left (which I think is the whole Catalyst AI thing) and setting your processor affinity to two cores if you're running a quad. As it is now, I'm running a OC'd 2500K and single 5850 with the above config and have a flat 60fps with full graphics options. It's bliss.

Bebpo

Banned
It's certainly a better designed combat racer than Mario Kart. And it goes toe to toe with Wipeout, although I prefer Wipeout's track designs.

I actually think I'm going to re-install it since this sale might get people back online playing MP again.

dani_dc

It's certainly a better designed combat racer than Mario Kart. And it goes toe to toe with Wipeout, although I prefer Wipeout's track designs.

I actually think I'm going to re-install it since this sale might get people back online playing MP again.

I bought the game today and it had a bit over 60 people online when I tried it out earlier.
Pretty fun game from what I had a chance to play so far, definitively worth the $5 it currently costs.

It also features splitscreen! Which is rather unusual for PC games.

scitek

Very unoptimised. I've found that the best performance can be had by completely disabling Crossfire (if you have it), upgrading your CPU (well, worked for me), disabling Surface Format Optimization and dragging the texture filtering slider to the far left (which I think is the whole Catalyst AI thing) and setting your processor affinity to two cores if you're running a quad. As it is now, I'm running a OC'd 2500K and single 5850 with the above config and have a flat 60fps with full graphics options. It's bliss.

I'm gonna install it and give this a try tomorrow. I have a quad-core Phenom II and a 6950 and couldn't ever manage a steady 60fps.

GHG

How big is Blur to download?

About 8gb.

I already had it on the PC but rebought so that I can have it on Steam and use the community features for it.

Anyone who got Blur, Payday or Lotr War in the North add me:

Steam ID: GHG

Shaneus

I'm gonna install it and give this a try tomorrow. I have a quad-core Phenom II and a 6950 and couldn't ever manage a steady 60fps.
Definitely. I don't know how your CPU matches up to the 2500K, but I remember reading recently about the Catalyst AI thing on a forum somewhere. Because that option as a single tickbox to disable has gone I don't know if what I was doing was the same thing, but it did seem to make a difference. Affinity probably moreso, though.

I don't know whether it made a difference which cores I used, but I set it to use cores 1 and 2, leaving 0 and 3 to do whatever.

Derrick01

Banned
So I have a coupon for 50% off vice city... and you can only use it starting Jan 2.

Vice City is currently on sale for 50% off... and this sale ends Jan 2.

Unless for some odd reason, on the day of Jan. 2, I can buy the game for 75% off, this coupon seems to be 100% worthless.

I'm in the same situation, I got the same coupon and I'm wondering what the point is. The GTA games will likely have a daily deal too where they go even lower.

Chesskid1

Banned
they gave coupons because they know everyone will be like shit, spent too much money on winter sale, im done buying stuff on steam for a while, but i still got these shitty ass coupons and i know i will want to use one of em cause its decent, so might as well check steam every day to see if it goes on a daily then you just buy other stuff. ;_;

this winter sale has truly been amazing. and amazon/other DDs undercutting steam now these days, PC gamers really have it best.

saints row 3 $20, lotr:north $10, deus ex:HR $10, off the top of my head for sites undercutting steam. amazing.

Got more coal for my achievements. Yay, hardly contain my excitement. Do people actually get games for completing achievements? Read the few posts above. I hate youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu with the passion of a thousand suns.

MNC

nGPU5.jpg

Oh shit, I didn't even think this existed. It's like the holy grail.

66% off an Activision game. :O

Should say 1 of 3 in the bottom corner.

How much was it during that daily deal?

Has anyone gotten anything valuable from crafting 7 coal?

Spacechem. :/

StuBurns

Banned
While there are very few Steam games I don't own that I care about, I am disappointed I haven't got any free games or good coupons, even though I'd most likely just give them a gaffer. The coals actually seem better really, but they feel like a slap in the face.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuuuuuck! I just realized that the Amazon $5 credit thing meant I could get Sonic and Deus Ex for a total of $20. Now the Sonic deal will be over in a couple hours. I should have gone to the bank yesterday.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I guess Amazon is even competing with Valve for who can give away the most worthless coupons.

Fuuuuuck! I just realized that the Amazon $5 credit thing meant I could get Sonic and Deus Ex for a total of $20. Now the Sonic deal will be over in a couple hours. I should have gone to the bank yesterday.

Will the Deus Ex deal end in a couple of hours too?

jediyoshi

So you get a $5-off-normal-price voucher for games that are all on sale for significantly more than $5 off right now... >_>

They aren't all on sale for significantly more than $5 right now. There's also no indication as to when any of the specific sales are going to change off eligible games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom