• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Ive been thinking about getting

Mass Effect 2
Limbo
Blur
Thoughts?

and what about Silent hill and Brink are they worth it?

ME2 - It's alright. A bit dull compared to ME1 perhaps.
Limbo - Maaaybe. Certainly not worth any more than what they're charging right now. I thought it was interesting at the start but during the latter parts I was just looking forward to be done with it.
Brink - For all its flaws, it's not entirely terrible and I enjoyed it quite a bit at launch. There are better shooters to play I guess (like TF2). Only buy if you intend to play it RIGHT NOW, as the game will likely be dead again soon. There's 682 players online right now, and that's during a sale...

fokkusu

It's region restricted:

The following products are restricted by the shipping country you specified.

You may go back and change your shipping information, or you may continue with your specified shipping country and have the following items removed from your order:
Saints Row The Third

Saints Row The Third Professor Genki Preorder Pack

Saints Row The Third Season Pass

Artofwar420

I'd recommend you guys with 7 or more coal who have been burned before to go to the holiday trading/giving away thread. Better chances at getting something you want like a coupon for a game you'd prefer or even a game.

2089404-praise_gaben.png

Give it a shot. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456133

Probably (I hope) already asked:

I bought Limbo during the last daily deal in november but it never appeared in my library. Today a friend bought it from the sales and it didn't show in his library two.

We're both Mac client users.

Common problem ? Not freaking out here. We'll start to complain if we can't play the game when it'll be release for mac 3 weeks.

I'd recommend you guys with 7 or more coal who have been burned before to go to the holiday trading/giving away thread. Better chances at getting something you want like a coupon for a game you'd prefer or even a game.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/9544/2089404-praise_gaben.png

Give it a shot. [URL="http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456133"]http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456133[/URL][/QUOTE]

What is the price per coal? I have coal I just never know what stuff is worth.

JAGII

Neo Member
It's funny, we all end up hoarding these games, it's nice that Valve actually give us a reason to try them. Unfortunately I've found out I dislike more of my games than I imagined, but I've found some cool stuff I might have never got around to playing too, so it's been a mixed bag.

I try not to judge a game according to the achievement process, as they aren't always indicative of the game's actual quality. For example, I love Defense Grid, but I thought its Winter achievement was really frustrating. Similarly, both the Winter and Summer achievements for Atom Zombie Smasher reflected poorly on what I think is a great game.

Salacious Crumb

I bought Limbo during the last daily deal in november but it never appeared in my library. Today a friend bought it from the sales and it didn't show in his library two.

Common problem ? Not freaking out here. We'll start to complain if we can't play the game when it'll be release for mac 3 weeks.

The Mac version won't be on steam until January 13th

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114902-Limbo-Available-For-Mac-Coming-to-Steam

There's an option in Library where you can choose to see all your games or only Mac games. Have you tried changing that?

Artofwar420

What is the price per coal? I have coal I just never know what stuff is worth.

This whole coal economy is super interesting; it will be the shortest living economy come New Year. It seems to have settled down to about one dollar or less, depending on the quality of the game and the current price. Again, it doesn't hurt to try to trade.

Mr_eX

I did that dumb Spiral Knights achievement and as a reward I got 50% Off Hacker Evolution: Untold. So that brings my haul so far up to that plus 50% off any Valve game and 6 lumps of coal.

Manik

Ugh, won this Game of Thrones strategy game last night for completing the Defense Grid achievement. Doubt I'll play it.
If you're willing to trade the game of thrones strategy game for anything, then I'd be interested!

Was hoping to play out at some point but it's never reached a price point I could justify :(

Just shoot me a pm or something if you're up for it.

IIRC you need to set your library to show all games. Either that or the PC versions will only show up on PC versions of Steam. It's been a while since I last used Steam on Mac.

Yeah no. I have several display option : All games, Mac games, Installed, Recently Played, Favorites, etc...

All games includes PC & Mac games obviously. But Limbo do not appears in All Games tab.

Anyone who isn't sure about Blur should probably get it. Fantastic arcade racer. Great mechanics all around, even if you're just doing single player races. One on One races with a friend can be a blast. Grab it while it's still a daily. It's great.

Account history :

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202011-12-24%20%C3%A0%2000.04.12.png

Library list :
Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202011-12-23%20%C3%A0%2023.59.56.png

Library quick look :
Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202011-12-24%20%C3%A0%2000.02.52.png

(This is All Games list tab, Just Cause isn't on Mac)

So why isn't Limbo there, somewhere ?

As long as you have the receipt and everything, send an email to Steam Support.

My friend is having the same problem and he bought the game today. I did last month.

We don't have anything to complain now, Steam support must be hammered at the moment and until the sale ends. We're going to contact support if there's no game for the Mac release.

StuBurns

Banned
I try not to judge a game according to the achievement process, as they aren't always indicative of the game's actual quality. For example, I love Defense Grid, but I thought its Winter achievement was really frustrating. Similarly, both the Winter and Summer achievements for Atom Zombie Smasher reflected poorly on what I think is a great game.

Defense Grid I bought just during this week, a bit for the achievements, a bit for the Portal DLC, but I really loved what I've played of it so far, probably my favourite tower defense game. I got around to playing Sanctum too, which I was also very impressed with. I don't remember how I got Atom Zombie Smasher, must have been some indie bundle, but I really didn't like that achievement. But I read it was a 'mini-game' so it's not going to hold much weight on my impressions of it.

This isn't an ideal way to play any of these games really, especially for the first time. I was really happy the Cave Story achievement didn't actually require playing the game at all, I've been meaning to play it for ages, and I don't want to abuse it for achievements because there's a time limit to them.

EDIT: UnluckyKate, I might be misreading your posts, but not all Windows only games are visible on the Mac version of Steam. The Path for example, will never show up.

Mr_eX

It's probably already been said but Space Marine is a hell of a game. If you like action games you should really pick it up, it's more than worth $25.

scitek

Definitely. I don't know how your CPU matches up to the 2500K, but I remember reading recently about the Catalyst AI thing on a forum somewhere. Because that option as a single tickbox to disable has gone I don't know if what I was doing was the same thing, but it did seem to make a difference. Affinity probably moreso, though.

I don't know whether it made a difference which cores I used, but I set it to use cores 1 and 2, leaving 0 and 3 to do whatever.

Oh well, nothing worked for me. EDIT: This is in relation to Blur, for those wondering.

Only using 2 cores cut my framerate in half. At 1080p with max settings, my framerate's in the 30s. At 720p with max settings, my framerate's in the 30s. If I force 4xSSAA through drivers, my framerate's in the 30s. If I force 8xMSAA in-game, though, it drops to the 20s. If I drop the graphical settings all the way (which looks like an updated version of Cruis'n USA), I get 60fps with dips into the 50s with no AA. I tried turning off Catalyst AI, too, and no difference, BTW. I think I'll stick to 4xSSAA with dxtory at 30fps.

Is blur worth playing?

I really hate mario kart, but do enjoy arcade racers in general, I was a huge fan of rollcage and extreme g3.

Not really looking for more filler for my steam log so some impressions would be nice.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wow. Saint's Row: The Third + Season Pass for $23.50, I'm all over that.

GHG

Is blur worth playing?

I really hate mario kart, but do enjoy arcade racers in general, I was a huge fan of rollcage and extreme g3.

Not really looking for more filler for my steam log so some impressions would be nice.

Its more rollcage than it is mario cart.

Its one of the best arcade racing games of this gen IMO. Massively underrated.

BigAT

Is blur worth playing?

I own it for 360, so I have no clue if anything is better worse for the PC version, but I really enjoyed it. I think it does a really good job of mixing semi-realistic racing with the arcade action that comes with adding power-ups. The online has a very fun experience component that makes progression interesting and rewards you for accomplishing certain goals while racing. Races are really intense and exciting. I think it's definitely worth checking out for $5.

Oreoleo

Oh please Steam, for love of all the gods, no more F2P achievements.

Legally, there has to be an achievement each day where you don't have to buy anything. So either F2P games, or achievements for doing things in Steam, like leaving a recommendation for a game. My point is, I would count on it.

Davedough

Is Just Cause 2 fun? I get really bored in open games like GTA and Infamous, should I grab this?

I bought it last winter for $7, I think. Its good mindless fun but I lost interest when things got really reliant on that grappling hook.... which unfortunately is pretty soon.

Its a blow everything up and keep on Dudebroing your way through the level kinda game. Its carnage at its best, but I found that it lacked a bit of substance. I dont regret my $7 purchase, but I haven't played it more than about 3 or 4 hours. I'll get to it eventually.

EDIT: UnluckyKate, I might be misreading your posts, but not all Windows only games are visible on the Mac version of Steam. The Path for example, will never show up.

Really ? First time I ever heard of this. I have 140 games on Steam, exactly half is PC* and the other half is PC + Mac but Limbo is the only one that I bought and that is not showing anywhere.

Edit : *typo

Sophia

Is Just Cause 2 fun? I get really bored in open games like GTA and Infamous, should I grab this?

Just Cause 2 is basically over the top dudebro action insanity taken to the extreme. But yeah, if you get bored in open games, you might get bored in it too.

It's worth the price tho.

Is blur worth playing?

Blur is a lot of fun, I played it on 360 and really enjoyed it, if the online is still active it should be well worth the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom