• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfkas

With all the new multiplayer purchases going on, could someone make a random Steam game session organising thread in the community section for me? I think it would be a good idea and may make some of us actually play the games rather than storing them for a rainy day. I would but I'm still a lowly junior. Purlease?

Binabik15

HELP!

I just bought the THQ site SR3 version. I'm in Germany. I could activate the DLC codes, but not the main game, because fucking THQ and Steam only offer a wonderful CUT version for us violent, fascist Germans who are to stupid to differentiate between reality and games.

Any way to activate my purchased game?

Google tells me that it was possible before the 18th of November, but somehow now it's not?

If this doesn't work, I'm done with Steam. Well, buying stuff on Steam, I'll still have to use it for playing games on my account. It's not about the money, I can afford losing 20€. But I'm already treated like crap by Valve and their low-violence versions of their games for Germany. I couldn't do a whole lot of things in Half Life 2 back in the day because using the gravity gun on zombies would be to gruesome for my retarded nazi brain to handle, it seems. Now I can't activate games from abroad? What if I had picked it up on vacation, which I have done with cheap games before? I'll also actively rooting for THQ to crash and burn, even though I actually like many of their games. I bought an Xbox 360 copy of SR2 back then and it didn't really work and stopped completely after the prison, must've been a misprinted disc. My free copy of REd FAction Guerilla from buying Metro 2033 on launch couldn't be installed. Fuck THQ.

If this doesn't work I have a copy of SR3 to trade away, sadly I lost a ton of value thanks to Steam accepting the seasion pass. Anyone interested?

This is a nice turdsandwich, I'll save it for Christmas, thanks, Valve.

From Dust $7.50, yay or nay?

ehhhh nay. 'sokay. Decent port, few customization options iirc. Gets stale fast. $5 or less imho

I gave two people that magical horse-raising game in the spirit of this tradition. Unfortunately I think Twig refused to accept despite the annoying popup reminder so I had to pass it off on someone else.

ha ha, I actually tried that one when it materialized in my collection

Fate of the World is about getting really fucking depressed about the...well, the fate of the world. Makes for an excellent prologue to a drinking binge.

One of the hardest strategy games I have ever played. The cheevo shouldn't be too hard though!

Achievement is pretty easy, give everyone in the word access to 4th Gen Nuclear technology, then do a global ban on oil and coal and every other power source, and watch the world crumble

Blizzard

Banned
Man, these are shitty deals.

Cave Story, alone, for $5? I guess they just assume no one knows about the Humble Indie Bundle that includes Cave Story.
My philosophy is if I buy Cave Story+ for $5, the developer gets most of the money (that might be possible with the humble bundle site but the site doesn't seem to work with my browser currently, so I'm not sure if it lets you pick a specific developer for the money).

In addition, Cave Story+ is basically the only game I want from the bundle, so I do not even want the other games on my Steam account.

And finally it's easy to buy on Steam so I just click things there. :D

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

i think you should blame thq and not valve.
Saints Row 2 can't be played in germany at all, i think even gifted ones don't work.

but i didn't knew that non german versions of SR3 can't be redeemed on german accounts, that sucks, i wanted to buy it also in the near future :(

the only other game i can think of where also only the german version works is modern warfare 2...but i bet there are a few more

edit: what exactly is cut in the german version?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Late to the Steam party today, but I hope it has been mentioned that the Frozen Synapse deal is a crazy good one, yes?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I haven't bought anything during this sale.

I am debating Train Simulator 2012, though!

Anyone going for the Frozen Synapse achievement, you can just make a custom skirmish match with 1 machine gunner and no opponents to get it really easily. Just make sure you play at least a turn before quitting.

allansm

HELP!

I just bought the THQ site SR3 version. I'm in Germany. I could activate the DLC codes, but not the main game, because fucking THQ and Steam only offer a wonderful CUT version for us violent, fascist Germans who are to stupid to differentiate between reality and games.

Any way to activate my purchased game?

Google tells me that it was possible before the 18th of November, but somehow now it's not?

If this doesn't work, I'm done with Steam. Well, buying stuff on Steam, I'll still have to use it for playing games on my account. It's not about the money, I can afford losing 20€. But I'm already treated like crap by Valve and their low-violence versions of their games for Germany. I couldn't do a whole lot of things in Half Life 2 back in the day because using the gravity gun on zombies would be to gruesome for my retarded nazi brain to handle, it seems. Now I can't activate games from abroad? What if I had picked it up on vacation, which I have done with cheap games before? I'll also actively rooting for THQ to crash and burn, even though I actually like many of their games. I bought an Xbox 360 copy of SR2 back then and it didn't really work and stopped completely after the prison, must've been a misprinted disc. My free copy of REd FAction Guerilla from buying Metro 2033 on launch couldn't be installed. Fuck THQ.

If this doesn't work I have a copy of SR3 to trade away, sadly I lost a ton of value thanks to Steam accepting the seasion pass. Anyone interested?

Have you tried to use a vpn or proxy and make sure steams connectx through it, so it thinks you're in another country? I think you can activate the game this way, I can't think of any other way they may idetify you're in germany besides your IP.

JADS

So I might have a spare key for the Humble Bundle 3 (Sans extra's), but I am not sure if the key works. I might have already given it away, but if you want to try your luck the first to post gets it.

Tenck

I sent a friend of mine a gift, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, to his email. If he accepts it will it go to his library?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I must be the only person who doesn't like Frozen Synapse.

Played mp with friends? Because the best way to play this game is competitively with friends. A bit like chess.

It also depends on how much game tactics you understood before playing. Took me about 15-20 hours to understand the nuances. If you want I can teach you a bit if you want to give it another try.

Blizzard

Banned
Have you tried to use a vpn or proxy and make sure steams connectx through it, so it thinks you're in another country? I think you can activate the game this way, I can't think of any other way they may idetify you're in germany besides your IP.

Isn't this supposed to get your Steam account completely disabled if they catch you? I don't know if it would be worth the risk.

And I'm bad at all strategy games so Frozen Synapse is extra confusing/bad for me, perhaps. I think the concept is kinda neat though, which is why I'm planning to buy it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
yeah, frozen synapse needs a while to get used to, but it's just awesome once you really "understand" the game.

my steam counter says that i played it around 100 hours this year...and i never finished even one single player mission cause multiplayer is that good (and i'm usually not a online multiplayer guy) :p

and as toma said, this game really shines with friends... so much fun

I'm sure someone probably mentioned this earlier, but THQ store is offering Staint's Row with Season Pass and Professor Genki preorder bonus for $24.

Saint's Row $24 deal

Fake edit: Beaten by the guy above your post.

Just a quick note. That should be $20. Make sure you deselect the insurance during checkout. You don't need to buy their 3 dollars of bullshit insurance on your download, especially if you're going to add it to Steam.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone want to trade EYE for Dungeon Defenders on Amazon? It's only 2 on Amazon. Or how about 2 lumps of coal?!?!!? COME ON BROTHERS!=

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Played mp with friends? Because the best way to play this game is competitively with friends. A bit like chess.

It also depends on how much game tactics you understood before playing. Took me about 15-20 hours to understand the nuances. If you want I can teach you a bit if you want to give it another try.
Well there are some things... I do like methodical things like city building, and I like action within a tactical context like Sanctum or some other team game, but I don't like tactical planning. Not into chess, not into RTS games...

Then there is the other problem that I am very aesthetically oriented and the game annoys my eyes. Not much to be done about that. I also just didn't like the interface method. It makes sense to the design so I guess I would get used to it, but I'd have to want to play it for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom