• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomrider

About the only thing that disappoints me in E.Y.E. so far is the fact that stealth doesn't seem like a viable means of completing the game. The enemies can see me from a thousand miles away and as soon as one starts shooting, all the others will soon follow. Massacres ensue. I still haven't unlocked any major PSI powers, so maybe those will help... Another thing that annoys me is the fact that the game doesn't pause while you're hacking stuff or using the power wheel thing. It's a minor complaint, though.

The game looks good for a Source game (the weapons look really good), the areas are huge and I'm having fun. It's worth it, I'd say.

I love landing after a long jump. The dust, the sound; so badass.

Turfster

Oh. Wow. I think I just got my first coupon for something... that's better than the steam sales reduction has ever been. -50% off IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

mrgone

All of this coal crafting advice is like high-school drinking. No one is ever going to suggest prudence.

DOOOO EEEEEET!
party-fails-conan-drinks-like-a-man-obrien-chug-beer-can.jpg

coopolon

I find it amusing that just as they finally start to get the 1pm transition to work pretty well, they decide to have a daily achievement stress a system that's clearly not ready just to prove to everyone they're still not very good at this. Keep those expectations low!

Edit: And by this I mean websites, not sales or DD.

mrgone

I find it amusing that just as they finally start to get the 1pm transition to work pretty well, they decide to have a daily achievement stress a system that's clearly not ready just to prove to everyone they're still not very good at this. Keep those expectations low!

Edit: And by this I mean websites, not sales or DD.

They had to give us something to do with those coupons! Now we get to hurt their computers for a little while for trolling us :D

1-D_FTW

I just got Left 4 Dead 2 for crafting 7 coals.

Yes I already have it, but has anyone had a record like mine yet?

So far:

8 coals (7 becoming Left 4 Dead 2)
Killing Floor
Rome: Total War
Uplink

Aside from the default Valve coupon I have not had a coupon yet. My luck will run out soon, but so far, fuck yeah!

2 coals, 33% Valve, 50% Supreme Commander, 50 % 1,2,3 Kick it, 50% Sol Survivor.

I'm getting terrible coupons at a 2:1 ratio of coal. But it doesn't matter. After the wishlist thing, it's all lols on this. I'm gonna laugh when I finally get enough coal and turn it into a 10 percent off Ratz. Gabe's got me in a jolly mood.

StuBurns

Banned
It's odd that they seemingly have boundless bandwidth for downloading games, Dota 2 and EYE downloaded normal speed for me, but they can't display a few vouchers and coals.

I like how "trade an item" is the most difficult cheev today. Add more servers or something, Valve.

I suspect it's much the same issue Blizzard has had with WoW over the years...sometimes you just can't fix it by throwing in more servers. They need to upgrade their entire infrastructure.

Hanzou

I got one of those $5 off Amazon "Best downloads of 2011" codes. Anyone willing to trade it for a gift steam copy of Runespell: Overature or Greed Corps? Shoot me a PM.

pfkas

I've just been to my inventory - I have all the shitty vouchers still intact, but all my coals have gone. I had 10 of the fuckers. New I should have crafted. They'll come back, won't they?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Like doctors, there are never enough gurus to handle the demand
They're too busy meditating.

That said, I haven't seen Steam struggle with community stuff like this for years. However it shows how modular their systems are now because before if one bit of Steam went it all did, now the Friends system, the store, the game launch system etc is all working fine with just the trading system struggling.

Blizzard

Banned
It's odd that they seemingly have boundless bandwidth for downloading games, Dota 2 and EYE downloaded normal speed for me, but they can't display a few vouchers and coals.
I am guessing that game download servers use different systems and communication mechanisms than the inventory/trading systems.

Also I think at least one person in this thread was saying earlier that their games wouldn't start, so high traffic can actually prevent people from playing games, sometimes.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

all of my coal disappeared overnight?!

edit: hmmm, seems like it's just not being listed for some reason, 'cause it says i have "18" items, but only 17 coupons are listed (why do i get so many fucking coupons i hate you lucky people)

StuBurns

Banned
I am guessing that game download servers use different systems and communication mechanisms than the inventory/trading systems.

Also I think at least one person in this thread was saying earlier that their games wouldn't start, so high traffic can actually prevent people from playing games, sometimes.

Yeah, Trine was 'not available' to play for a while for me today. Even though I could download stuff fine at the time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How do I get the holiday gifts in TF2? I joined a random server and killed myself over and over, but nothing appears. Dont want to play with others, and I cant open the console to use the kill command.

Any help?

rage is tempting, whats the gaf consensus?
I think id doesn't deserve the money. They fucked up a large part of the PC user base at launch, you know, the people that feed them and their families all this years. Threated PC owners like 3rd grade citizens while console owners got the sweet end of the deal. Charged full 60 bucks for a download, hyped the shit out of it and lasted 6 years developing a good game. Not this time, they need to tight their screws for doom 4.

15 it's a good price for the game, don't get me wrong, but we need to teach them a lesson somehow.

3 Trips to a friend house and i finished the game.

Did anyone get the interchange achievement, inventory doesn't seem to work?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is it possible to use a coupon on a game that is on a daily deal?

Only if you got golden tickets.

Repost because I want to uninstall TF2:

How do I get the holiday gifts in TF2? I joined a random server and killed myself over and over, but nothing appears. Dont want to play with others, and I cant open the console to use the kill command.

Any help?

You can't use coupons yet.

Wrong, you cant use non-golden coupons yet.

Toma

Just keep trying. Or, you know, play with a friend.

I cant play this game. Gives me slight motion sickness, but I want the achievement damnit. And I was thinking that blowing myself up with rockets might not work or something.

UrbanRats

Pretty underwhelmed by these sales so far.
I've bought nothing yet, i was waiting for a sale on Saint's Row 3 to have all the DLCs, but lol @ THQ, 33% as a daily deal and not even applied on the DLCs.
You'll never have my full money as long as you sell 2 costumes for 2 dollars, goddamit, get your shit together.

I also wanted RAGE, but it's cheaper on Amazon. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom