• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefil

Man, E.Y.E. is really cool. Switched to heavy armour and equipped a giant sword. First thing I researched was the medkit, which turns out to be an infinite-use healing item. Finally, I realized you can block bullets with your sword, and now I am enjoying blowing through the early missions as the ultimate invincible badass.

Didn't even notice the gift drop for the achievement, and got another coal out of it. I'm 0/20 on games/gifts still.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay. So now that I seem to be into this Steam thing for the long haul and have about 2 dozen games now, I have to look into getting a controller to play some of these more properly...

I'm on OS X, but I also have Windows.

So what's the story with getting a USB Xbox controller to work with each game? Which games have native support? Which ones only work natively in Windows? Which ones need drivers. Which drivers work. I have not used a controller since the 90's when I had a Microsoft Sidewinder serial controller that never worked. I assume stuff has gotten better in the last 18 years?

F5s5A.jpg

Hmm, what should I do with all this coal...

Early retirement.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Okay. So now that I seem to be into this Steam thing for the long haul and have about 2 dozen games now, I have to look into getting a controller to play some of these more properly...

So what's the story with getting a USB Xbox controller to work with each game? Which games have native support? Which ones only work natively in Windows? Which ones need drivers. Which drivers work. I have not used a controller since the 90's when I had a Microsoft Sidewinder serial controller that never worked. I assume stuff has gotten better in the last 18 years?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

as for games...

go to store and search (Advanced search)... choose "Controller Enabled" under category... usually a good way of finding out what works... the support is usually -very- good on games that were released on 360 as well

thefil

The one good thing that came out of GFWL is that the Xbox controller became a standard thing for PCs. If you're getting a controller, do yourself a favour and pick up a wired 360 controller. For any game that supports it, you just plug it in and it works. They even have OSX drivers, though I'll be honest and say I haven't testing it in any games on the OSX side. But for Windows, it's plug and play, with many games even updating the interface to show 360 icons (A, B, Start, Back, etc).

Oreoleo

Yea i noticed i have been getting older games which i good but also i want to take advantage of my gtx 580 beast.

The STALKER games are quite demanding when maxed out. The poster who mentioned Shattered Horizon is on the money, but you won't spend much time actually playing that. GTA4 is still really demanding on systems, especially with the Icenhancer mod. Beyond that, I'm sure most high profile games released this year will put some strain on your card if you crank them all the way up (Stuff like Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, etc). I think the ArmA games are pretty demanding too, but I can't be sure.

Man, E.Y.E. is really cool. Switched to heavy armour and equipped a giant sword. First thing I researched was the medkit, which turns out to be an infinite-use healing item. Finally, I realized you can block bullets with your sword, and now I am enjoying blowing through the early missions as the ultimate invincible badass.

Didn't even notice the gift drop for the achievement, and got another coal out of it. I'm 0/20 on games/gifts still.

Glad to see people buying it (#4 on Steam overall awww yeah) and enjoying it. I don't think I ever did that with the sword, which speaks to the myriad ways you can approach the gameplay.

Aselith

Is Rage worth buying, I remember people being frustrated with it at launch.Can it be modded to playability?

I've had no issues with it at all. The issues at launch were due to driver issues on I think it was AMD's end. That has been corrected as far as I'm aware.

If someone has a coupon for one of the Call of Duties (MW, MW2, CODBLOPS) and they don't plan on using it, I'd love to take it off your hands. I think I'm gonna get it for someone for Chrimbus and could use the discount.

Tambini

If someone has a coupon for one of the Call of Duties (MW, MW2, CODBLOPS) and they don't plan on using it, I'd love to take it off your hands. I think I'm gonna get it for someone for Chrimbus and could use the discount.

Be warned the coupons cannot be used until January 2nd

Paprikka

I have a 66% off one for MW2, though as Tambini said you can't use it till after the sale is over. If you still want it though you can have it, I'm Paprikka on steam as well.

Talyn

Looking to trade coal for coal! PM me!

Edit: Errr, where is the objective for trading shown? Doesn't show up on Dec. 23rd objectives...
Should be the first on the list: Get what you want – trade! - Go to your Friends List and make a trade! Games, coupons, coal. . .sorry, fruitcake doesn’t fit through our pipe

Hawk SE

I'm not striking it with the Holiday achievements. I have for trade (and only):

• 50% Off - GTA: Vice City
  • 50% Off - Swords and Soldiers HD
  • 50% Off - Greed Corp

I'll probably never buy or play any of these games. So if anyone is wanting to trade for ANYTHING, please feel free to hit me up:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hawkse/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I hear some good things about EYE, then I hear some bad things. 2.50 is the perfect price, but I just don't know.

I have a 66% off one for MW2, though as Tambini said you can't use it till after the sale is over. If you still want it though you can have it, I'm Paprikka on steam as well.

Its definitely one of the few good Coupons. Since COD never gets more than 50%. Ones like for Bethesada or Frozenbyte, due to having recently new games are good ones too.
And if by chance they will stack with sales after. Maybe then a few of them will turn out to be good too.

zlatko

Banned
Heading to bed, but figured I'd say in here that:

I have a -50% off Valve coupon.

If anyone wants it I'd totally trade it for Left 4 Dead 2 or Metro 2033.

PM away.

whoa for those disappointed about the Saints Row deal today check out Green Man Gaming.

19.99 if you use the code FIFTY-SAINT-XMASS at checkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom