• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
Also, is Cave Story worth playing? Looks kind of neat, but I have a pretty big backlog and don't have time for games that are merely average or above average.
It's only the single Indie game that invented the fucking Indie game revolution. OF COURSE it's worth it. It's so above average it's GOD.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone have expereince with tages? Installed Risen and I can't get past this screen at all and I'm not getting any errors about the server not being up or anything.

Risen is an older game, did you get / google the newer drivers?

Yeah I uninstalled the drivers it came with and installed the ones from here
http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm

Did you get it from Amazon?

There was an issue about Tates game activation like 2 weeks ago on CAG.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9164210&postcount=873

I got it from as a gift from steam. Yeah I remember the problems CAGs were having and I still can't find the solution.

Davedough

So there I am, playing through EYE and I finally get the gift achievement. I log out and check my inventory.... 50% off EYE Divine Cybermancy

Thanks Gabe

Sober

They should really put up an option on the last day that let you craft a game from your coupons. Make the required amount high enough so that they don't bleed money but at least let people get rid off them.

Only hardcore users are actively trying to get the achievements and these users know that all of the titles are currently cheaper in the sale than what the coupons will offer past january 2nd. I really don't think these will have a trade value as people that didn't take part in the contest aren't likely to even trade for them at all and the market will be flooded with coupons.
Flooding the community with coupons would only have worked if deals weren't typically ridiculous like 50-80% off during sales where most people, hardcore or otherwise, just pick up a large collection during relevant sales periods. Anyone who watches the topsellers lists during the regular days of the year will probably notice that it barely changes unless a new release or a big enough sale warrants it.

But it's become pretty obvious that people will buy almost anything on sale since we sometimes see "Oh Brink again? Sheesh, that's shitty" and then it flies to #1 in a few hours. So I guess coupons might just actually work in drumming up some sales during the regular year? It's up to valve to tell us if their sick experiment they are conducting during the sale worked or not.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, this may well be one of those experiments that Valve runs, so they can say "Hmm, do these useless coupons actually get traded and used by other people during non-event-sale times, resulting in higher overall sales?" And then they can do it again if it works, or trash it if it doesn't.

TheExodu5

Banned
They should really put up an option on the last day that let you craft a game from your coupons. Make the required amount high enough so that they don't bleed money but at least let people get rid off them.

Only hardcore users are actively trying to get the achievements and these users know that all of the titles are currently cheaper in the sale than what the coupons will offer past january 2nd. I really don't think these will have a trade value as people that didn't take part in the contest aren't likely to even trade for them at all and the market will be flooded with coupons.

Keep in mind that these should stack with any deals that pop up From January-March...the coupons could be valuable at that point.

graywolf323

Yeah, this may well be one of those experiments that Valve runs, so they can say "Hmm, do these useless coupons actually get traded and used by other people during non-event-sale times, resulting in higher overall sales?" And then they can do it again if it works, or trash it if it doesn't.

I really really hope they trash it...

wilflare

anyone bought Frozen Synapse before the humblebundle
and then redeemed the humble Frozen Synapse bundle on your account later?

do you get 2 multiplayer codes?

Blizzard

Banned
So you took something bad and made it worst ?

=(
People are using TF2 itself to idle, not external programs. People who do that are being rewarded by Valve, not punished.

Valve could presumably easily make weapons and items and hats free for everyone, and no one would need to farm anything. Presumably, however, Valve makes more money with the economy and farming situation the way it is right now, so they haven't changed it.

Javaman

Keep in mind that these should stack with any deals that pop up From January-March...the coupons could be valuable at that point.
I'd imagine that most publishers will avoid putting their games for sale during that period. This whole coupon thing is terrible. I would almost rather get nothing when crafting than another useless coupon.

Oreoleo

I really really hope they trash it...

It would be a totally different story if they stacked with the sale discounts. As it is, it all just seems so short sighted.

Oh that reminds me actually. The deals last "through Jan 1st" (ie, 1pm on Jan 2nd), and the coupons go into effect on the 2nd. There MIGHT be a few hour window where the deals stack. Probably just wishful thinking on my part..

Card Boy

Banned
If you a fan of twinstick shooters. I implore, no i demand you guys pick this up.

xx06577.jpg

Watch TotalBiscuits 13 minute WTF is video. If your not convinced by the end of it, then i can't help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ILeY_O4ouY

Did i mention the game is 75% off at $2.49?

Game supports the 360 pad and multiplayer is a blast. Fuck Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars when this game exists.

inky

If you got Batman you would think otherwise.

Not really? Why is that?

I get they re trying to encourage people to trade stuff and to buy everything that nets you an achievement, but there being 7 achievements per day means most people will only craft once or twice. What are the chances these guys get something worthwhile?

TekDragon

Banned
2 questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. I have a coupon for Civilization IV. However, it says it has 2 items, both Civilization IV. Only difference is one of them has the "circle R" registered symbol next to it and the other doesn't.

2. How much value do you guys think the Civ IV coupon is, plus a 33% off Saints Row 3 coupon? I'm hoping to grab Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Cth

Yeah, I have no idea to be honest :D

I registered a copy of HL2 back in 2005(?) and just added a friend tonight (who also said I appeared offline)

Ah well.. I'll keep trying to figure out what's up.. thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I think I figured it out.. responded to the friend request!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
2 questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. I have a coupon for Civilization IV. However, it says it has 2 items, both Civilization IV. Only difference is one of them has the "circle R" registered symbol next to it and the other doesn't.

2. How much value do you guys think the Civ IV coupon is, plus a 33% off Saints Row 3 coupon? I'm hoping to grab Mass Effect 1 and 2.

1. Civ4 + expansions in steam always have 2 copies, one which is for PC and one which is for Mac.

2. It's usually 10 dollar-ish.

mrgone

Yeah, for 31 cents more than the daily you can get Cave Story+ and 11 other games. And you still get the chance to earn the coupon of your dreams! (5 coupons of your dreams if all the new Christmas achievements are thrown into the pile!) It's a pretty ridiculously good deal this time around

inky

A lot better than they had winning off 7-14 coal in the end contest.

Sure, it doesn't make it less of a burn when 99% of the time you get a 10% off Activision coupon :p
I admit it's easy to say this when I'm not Valve and there are people out there exploiting the system by means of indie bundles and whatnot, but still.

That said, I mean, we get free shit out of playing stuff, so whatever... I'm just hating on my terrible luck

Sure, it doesn't make it less of a burn when 99% of the time you get a 10% off Activision coupon :p
I admit it's easy to say this when I'm not Valve and there are people out there exploiting the system by means of indie bundles and whatnot, but still.

That said, I mean, we get free shit out of playing stuff, so whatever...

There's also a bunch of days left, so a lot of coal to get, and a lot of chances to craft a game.

Don't give up. :)

Gileadxv

Banned
If you a fan of twinstick shooters. I implore, no i demand you guys pick this up.

xx06577.jpg

Watch TotalBiscuits 13 minute WTF is video. If your not convinced by the end of it, then i can't help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ILeY_O4ouY

Did i mention the game is 75% off at $2.49?

Game supports the 360 pad and multiplayer is a blast. Fuck Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars when this game exists.

I had never even heard of this game until you posted. I'll admit though, that video was pretty awesome.

Cth

Does Steam do this sort of thing often?

I remember them doing some thing for Portal 2 where people could play to bump the release date earlier..

Kinda fun.. I just wish I had a computer that would run most games :D I'll definitely be checking out Steam more in the future.

vazel

Banned
Finally won a game I didn't already have: Defense Grid. What a borefest that game is. Once you figure out a good turret loadout you just sit back and watch the game play itself. At least the game had a Christmas achievement which won me another coal.
Does Steam do this sort of thing often?

I remember them doing some thing for Portal 2 where people could play to bump the release date earlier..

Kinda fun.. I just wish I had a computer that would run most games :D I'll definitely be checking out Steam more in the future.
Yea... about that...

Card Boy

Banned
I had never even heard of this game until you posted. I'll admit though, that video was pretty awesome.

That video is the most passionate i've seen TB, the video convinced me to buy the game during the Thanksgiving sale for the same price.

Trust me when i say it was the right decision and i have no regrets. One of my best Steam purchases. The game to this day is getting massive content updates, with another on the way after this sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom