• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, was waiting for Serious Sam 3 (since it has an achievement I am hoping it goes on a daily deal) but Hard Reset will be a nice substitute for now. Also was waiting for From Dust and Skyrim, but not very pleased with the discounts for those. Nice seeing Skyrim on Amazon UK so cheap though, anyone has a guess whether that will be temporarily?

StAidan

Finally won an actual game with today's achievements - the X3: Gold pack. Never heard of the series, but I like strategy games so I might check it out.

Going to pull the trigger on Skyrim in about 10 minutes, please tell me if it's cheaper for digital download elsewhere. I read something about Amazon UK having it for cheaper, but I'm looking at Amazon US and don't see that deal.

Sober

Is it just me but this has been a shitty Steam winter sale so far?

Prob just me.
It's not bad per se, the meta achievement thing could've definitely been done better or handled differently (coupons being shitty or unstackable during the sale for the most part)... do you have most of the games that typically go on sale? For alot of games that were on sale under 10$ the last few days they are plenty good and worth the sale price. I haven't bought much but it's mostly because I blew most of my money building a backlog during the summer, so everything on sale I kinda already have is all.

Also, in recent years other DDs have been stepping up on their sales to try to one-up steam, so there's that too. At least it isn't just Steam anymore with the big sale. That plus whatever you pick up from weekend/midweek deals just makes your wishlist that much smaller.

Going to pull the trigger on Skyrim in about 10 minutes, please tell me if it's cheaper for digital download elsewhere. I read something about Amazon UK having it for cheaper, but I'm looking at Amazon US and don't see that deal.

Yeah only Amazon UK, not US. Don't know if any other stores have it as cheap.

tm24

Hmm,apperently i already own the renegade ops dlc. Everyone who bought it prior to today should check the dlc for it on their library page

Kunohara

Haha oh man, 7th coal in a row today. Not one coupon except the one that everyone got on the first day.

Everything went better than expected. I don't want any bloody coupons, just entries into the prize.

Also, Skyrim being on sale today is perfect timing. That was my xmas gift from my wife. I told her I wanted it, and I said I'll wait till it goes on sale to buy it.

StuBurns

Banned
I got Dota 2, which all I really cared about from this thing, but SSF4AE would be the cherry on top for me. I really hope to see it as a daily.

Manik

If anyone needs a UK GAFfer to help out with any of the daily deals today, then feel free to add me.

Steam ID - CazzBside

I'll be around for the next few hours or so.

The_Monk

My fellow GAFfers!

1- What's extra on Plants VS Zombies since it's the GOTY edition?

2- I want Bastion on sale!

Merry Christmas GAF-bro's.

If you can, please answer, thanks!

I've been finding something pretty much every day. Today's Hard Reset for me, finally bit on Rage yesterday, Arkham City before that, and there's a decent amount of non-daily deals I'll scoop up by the end of the sale too. I'm curious though, what are a handful of things you'd want to see that'd make it a good sale?

We had Arkham City for 50% off, that was a pretty big one, and stuff like Skyrim for 33% off today is pretty good too. I do think it's unrealistic to want $5 sales on $50/60 new releases from the 2nd half of this year myself, so I'm not expecting anything like that.

Rage, Arkbird and Skyrim have been good deals but then you have shameful stuff like Saints Row for $33 when THQ's own website is offering it + the DLC for almost 10 bucks cheaper.

My fellow GAFfers!

1- What's extra on Plants VS Zombies since it's the GOTY edition?

2- I want Bastion on sale!

Merry Christmas GAF-bro's.

If you can, please answer, thanks!

1 It was a free update I believe, not anything special I think.
2 But it was on sale about a week or two before these sales. But I think it will be since it has an Christmas achievement.

Rage, Arkbird and Skyrim have been good deals but then you have shameful stuff like Saints Row for $33 when THQ's own website is offering it + the DLC for almost 10 bucks cheaper.

to be fair, that Saint's Row deal was good because of Steamworks. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't register it to steam.

The_Monk

1 It was a free update I believe, not anything special I think.
2 But it was on sale about a week or two before these sales. But I think it will be since it has an Christmas achievement.

Thanks for answering!

Yep, I missed Bastion on that sale, thanks for keeping my hopes up.

I highly recommend Risen for everyone who wants a beautiful RPG and they're done with Skyrim. I highly recommend Skyrim for everyone with a pulse.

I just picked up Hard Reset and Prototype.

droopy

Are the CoH expansions worth it for the multiplayer? As in, do they add nations or gameplay modes?

Buying Tales of Valor gives you access to all the multiplayer content. Modes, maps and 2 new armies were added after the original game release with the expansions.
The only reason to buy anything but ToV is for the campaigns

PaulLFC

According to the achievement Wiki, Renegade Ops' achievement requires the Coldstrike DLC, is that correct?

Horrible decision if so, locking the achievement out unless you purchase DLC.

I don't expect Steam to have 100% the best deals anywhere ever. That's just how it goes.

Neither do I but I expected them to be a little more competitive. Tropico is 5 bucks on Amazon but was 13 when it was a Steam daily; almost 3x more. I highly doubt Deus Ex will be 10 on Steam too if it gets a daily. The publishers set the prices, no? They could be trying to undercut Steam lulz.

According to the achievement Wiki, Renegade Ops' achievement requires the Coldstrike DLC, is that correct?

Horrible decision if so, locking the achievement out unless you purchase DLC.

A lot of people seemed to get it for free, I know I did, did anyone ever figure out why that is though?

When did they add the "Friends Bought" and "Friends Want" sliders on the main page showing games from the sale? I don't recall ever seeing that until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom