• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talyn

Goddamn Defcon tutorial doesn't work. I can sort of work the game out but not well enough to nuke Santa. Damnit.
You can't nuke your own cities. If you're playing a game with just yourself (no AI enemies) he'll only fly around your territory so you need to click the areas that aren't cities to nuke them. As for the interface, leftclick selects and rightclick changes modes. Nuke silos start off in air defense mode and need to be switched over to ICBM to fire.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fucking BOLLOCKS... forgot about region drm...

So what am I supposed to do with my ( amazon bought ) Dead Island copy that I for some reason can't activate on steam,( europe)?

>____<

Saige

I must do better.
Wow Hard Reset is amazing. Just a great game to put some music on and run around shooting shit to. I really like the look of the game and it runs super smooth with both the shooting controls and menu navigation is some of the best I’ve seen in a pc fps.

Probably my best buy from this whole sale.

jediyoshi

Why is this achievement in Renegade Ops random, at least the Binding of Isaac makes some kind of perverse sense being a rogue-like.

It's not random. Clear out the first area. Make your way down the mountain. Make your way to the plane. Wait for dude to finish his speech. Head a bit right to reach the road and a bit up and you'll see Santa.

Worked for me the first time but I didn't manage to shoot him. Appeared in the exact same spot on my second go.

Talyn

I see how it could be disappointing compared to what you could get, but Jamestown is pretty awesome though.
The problem with most of these coupons, including that one, is that the games are already on sale for 75% off and the coupons seem to max out at 50% off. Who in their right mind is going to wait until the sale is over and pay more to use them?

deleted

So I got 33% Valve Coupon, The wonderful End of the World and 9 Coal so far.

Any reason not to craft them into a coupon/game? I don't believe I will actually win in the end, no matter how many Coal I have. After that they'll become worthless, right?

fokkusu

pnov81 has 1 copy of Renegade Ops with the DLC. He said it's 2.55 USD.

Here's the proof:
qTTBA.png

Suairyu

Banned
You can't nuke your own cities. If you're playing a game with just yourself (no AI enemies) he'll only fly around your territory so you need to click the areas that aren't cities to nuke them. As for the interface, leftclick selects and rightclick changes modes. Nuke silos start off in air defense mode and need to be switched over to ICBM to fire.
Thank you so much! Did it first attempt now.

edit - now have 7 coal. Prevailing wisdom is to not bother chancing on a craft and just leave it to boost your chances of winning the prizes, right?

Divius

The problem with most of these coupons, including that one, is that the games are already on sale for 75% off and the coupons seem to max out at 50% off. Who in their right mind is going to wait until the sale is over and pay more to use them?
Ah yes, that's true. Didn't know it was currently 75% off.

Volcynika

You know what totally kicks ass? Having a 50% off Bethesda games coupon that only drops Skyrim's $60 price by $20. THANKS, STEAM!

Read the fine print on that coupon. Might be helpful.

I have a 75% off coupon, doesn't max out at 50%, I know that.

Vamphuntr

Here comes my next poison

1C76z.png

Don't think I'll have time to do the cheevo tonight but I'll try to create my character and do the tutorial (I heard it's long?).

Saerk

Hell Yeah! I got a Valve Complete Pack as my present for doing a trade. That makes up for the shitty 25% coupons I was getting.

inky

Guys I'm doing the stupid thing now and buying games just for the achievements. Please, save me from this madness! :p

[I should've bought Greed Corp instead of the Polynomial, right? =/]

Finally found Santa in Renegade Ops, got my 10th lump of coal. All I want is Dota 2.

Guys I'm doing the stupid thing now and buying games just for the achievements. Please, save me from this madness! :p

[I should've bought Greed Corp instead of the Polynomial, right? =/]

I did that during the Summer Sale, ended up enjoying quite a few of the games I bought. They also are being featured yet again in this sale, so it's not the worst thing you could do.

Ark

Can anyone tell me if Borderlands is worth a buy?

Never really looked at it all, loved Mass Effect 2, if that's at all related to Borderlands in the sense of western RPG's.

KarmaCow

Can anyone tell me if Borderlands is worth a buy?

Never really looked at it all, loved Mass Effect 2, if that's at all related to Borderlands in the sense of western RPG's.

Borderlands is more like Diablo, in that it's a loot game, but it's an FPS.

SlickVic

Spent a good 40 minutes playing Jamestown to get the achievement, earned a piece of coal. w00t!

Game is pretty decent though, so I'm glad this was an objective and forced me to check it out.

Pimpbaa

Finally some games I don't have but really want. Hard Reset and Renegade Ops here I come. I remember reading a while back about how bad of a port Prototype was (like no resolution above 1280x720 and the game not liking usb devices plugged in), is this still the case?

mrgone

Oh fuck, FUCK, FUCK!!! It completely forgot about the improved version coming out, i even fumed in the thread about it.
Fucking ell. Can i feel angry about spending less than £4 on a decent game?
Yes, yes i bloody am.

Ehh, I'm sure they'll do something for us

coopolon

So Binding of Isaac was one of my first gifts I got (since then I've gotten nothing but coals and coupons).

Gave up on trading it and decided to just unpack it. It's a ... weird game. I think I'm starting to get into rogue likes between this and DoD. At least rogue-like lites.

Ran into the Xmas Achievment on my 3rd attempt. I didn't even know who he was or what the achievement was, but once he gave me coal I figured it must have been the for the winter gift pile.

I'll probably get at least 5 hours out of just trying it, try to kill mom at least once or twice, so I'm pretty happy overall with the gift pile thing! Got this for free, maybe I'll get something else by the end.

I definitely made up my mind I am not doing any not fun achievements though, just going to get the ones that look like a good time/will motivate me to play a game I haven't tried yet.

The one problem I have with rogue likes is this idea that you dont' know what anything does and there are tons of items and powers. I feel like to really learn what things I'd either have to wiki it (boring) or play a ton to the point where I memorize it all, which is also never going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom