• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Is And Yet it Moves bugged? I can't get to the main menu. It just says loading game and then says it doesn't respond. Anyone else getting this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hard Reset is one hell of a game. Especially for 5 UNITED STATES DOLLARS. I just spent an hour with the game and it just feels right. Great controls, near perfect art, good simple story to keep things cohesive. BUY THIS YOU.....It's quite the looker too.....

hardreset2011-12-24192r4ok.png

hardreset2011-12-2419ujvm4.png

hardreset2011-12-2419v1228.png

hardreset2011-12-2419pk12u.png

hardreset2011-12-2419oq0es.png

This winter sale arg is awful. At least with the summer sale you got interesting bits of dlc that ranged from cosmetic things for characters in tf2 or portal 2 to expansions or dlc levels for your games AND you didn't have to choose between the dlc or entering the draw for the grand prize. Coal and coupons are terrible.

Just crafted a 50% off Dungeons franchise coupon. I want to delete it.

epmode

This winter sale arg is awful. At least with the summer sale you got interesting bits of dlc that ranged from cosmetic things for characters in tf2 or portal 2 to expansions or dlc levels for your games AND you didn't have to choose between the dlc or entering the draw for the grand prize. Coal and coupons are terrible.
Agreed.

But it did get me into the Dota 2 beta so it's not all bad!

Audiosurf Achieve: 50% off Shadowgrounds Survivor. You know, the game I already have from a Humble Bundle.

Anyway, I need a friend to trade something with for that achieve. Useless coupon for Useless coupon?

CarbonatedFalcon in Steam as well.

Zomba13

Just crafted a 50% off Dungeons franchise coupon. I want to delete it.

Meh, don't like the coupons? Give them away to people in the thread here. Get a game you don't like and won't ever play? Give it away or try and trade it for something.

While I do prefer the Summer one because we got DLC for our games I like this one too because it's encouraging gifting/being nice and you have the chance to win games or whole packs!

Would be nice if we didn't need the coal to be entered into the draw or if it worked like the ticket thing where you got an entry for each achievement done.

Leckan

How do people feel about the Company of Heroes bundle? Should I buy the pack or only individual parts because I heard the last expansion wasn't all that.

totowhoa

Banned
Hey GAF I accidentally clicked "unpack gift" for something I was going to give to my brother. Can I repack it somehow and still gift it? I haven't installed it or anything. Thanks.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I have to say this sale's been pretty awful for me. Hardly anything on my wish list on sale so far, lots of low discounts on old games, games that've been on sale recently/many times. Not feelin' it dawg. Tomorrow is Christmas so maybe the deals will be awesome!

Deadstar

For anyone still uncertain of the Renegade Ops DLC situation: When you buy the 4-pack, the buyer does NOT get DLC, but the 3 gift copies DO get DLC. Knowing this, I bought the 4-pack, checked the lack of DLC, used one of the extra copies to get the DLC, and sent the others to friends. Totally worth it given the price of the single game w/o dlc. :)

This has to be a bug right? I contacted steam support. Let's see if they help me. Why would the buyer not get the dlc.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have to say this sale's been pretty awful for me. Hardly anything on my wish list on sale so far, lots of low discounts on old games, games that've been on sale recently/many times. Not feelin' it dawg. Tomorrow is Christmas so maybe the deals will be awesome!

Horrible sale so far. I havent bought anything yet from Steam.

But I have gotten Saints Row 3, Renegade Ops and Deus Ex HR for great prices. So I am still happy about that.

Tomodachi

apparently Silent Hill Homecoming is good enough a game to still warrant a $30 price tag.

you're surprised at 33%?
I'm surprised at the word "catalogue" referencing to 5 games in total :D

(one of them has a metascore of 38, I'd actually like to get it to see how can it be that bad)

Anyway I already have Homecoming on X360 and it's pretty awful imho, I hear the pc port is even worse.

Do the Splinter Cell games have good stories that all relate to each other? I really have wanted to get the games, but I want both a good gameplay and story experience out of them.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Yeah, this sale has been a bit of a bust for me. Amazon's been doing better imo.

Tomodachi

I must agree. I'm having fun with achievements and all but I only bought Edge on the first day and then nothing. Of course that's probably since it's one of many sales I've been "living" on Steam (since 2004) and lots of the games discounted I already have. And if I don't it's pretty likely I don't even want them.
But yeah, discounts aren't the biggest I've seen on Steam.

RiverBed

Banned
Hard Reset is one hell of a game. Especially for 5 UNITED STATES DOLLARS. I just spent an hour with the game and it just feels right. Great controls, near perfect art, good simple story to keep things cohesive. BUY THIS YOU.....It's quite the looker too.....

hardreset2011-12-24192r4ok.png

[imghttp://www.abload.de/img/hardreset2011-12-2419ujvm4.png[/img]

[im]http://www.abload.de/img/hardreset2011-12-2419v1228.png[/img]

[im]http://www.abload.de/img/hardreset2011-12-2419pk12u.png[/img]

[im]http://www.abload.de/img/hardreset2011-12-2419oq0es.png[/img]

And I just bought a copy. Looks like old school fun. I like fun.

Ledsen

Do the Splinter Cell games have good stories that all relate to each other? I really have wanted to get the games, but I want both a good gameplay and story experience out of them.

Splinter Cell story? Those games are for sneaking and killing, they have about as good a story as a GI Joe cartoon.

Demon Ice

Banned

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is the absolute height of the series. I don't remember the storyline that much but I do remember that 1 and 3 (CT) were the best, gameplay wise. Double Agent was absolute shit, Conviction was tolerable but it was more Jason Bourne / 24 than Splinter Cell.

Nabs

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just don't go too crazy with that FOV slider. It's vertical, so 65 is actually good.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I feel like people are being kind of short-sighted about the coupons.

I mean obviously everybody owns everything Valve makes, and it'd be way better to get a game, but some of these are going to be pretty useful come January 2.

Tomodachi

Yeah well I wouldn't grab them if you're looking for a strong story linking them all with good characters and all. It's standard Tom Clancy, espionage stuff, somewhat generic even. Overly convoluted in some points. Nice stealth games though!

Card Boy

Banned

I mean obviously everybody owns everything Valve makes, and it'd be way better to get a game, but some of these are going to be pretty useful come January 2.

A -10% meridian4 coupon doesn't really help anyone.

scy

Some of them, sure. Many of them just match the current sale price which makes their use come January 2 a little questionable. Though, if there's a price drop for some titles in that period and the coupon works with it then that's something nice to look forward to.

I feel like people actually mean "there are no games I want" when they say a sale is horrible, so I wish they would just say that.

I own a lot of the games that have been on sale but there have still been some good ones.

75% off Hard Reset and 50% off Arkham City, for instance.

Also I just did the And Yet It Moves achievement and got:
DxdVV.jpg

At least I don't already own it. I might keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom