• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinoox

Banned
Dude, I just recently started using Steam with this holiday sale and I already have over thirty games. Freaking crazy; so this is what it means to be a PC gamer.

X-COM UFO Defense is a classic! I used to play it all the time back in the day. 3rd person strategy/turn based game.

DEFCON used to get a lot of play/talk on 4chan. Seemed like a lot of fun, but my computer couldn't run it .. nice atmospheric game.

Darwinia as a demo on Xbox Live, played it a while back.. fun game, lots of fans.

I've heard the name Sturmovik and seem to remember it being mentioned favorably.

I think I saw a YouTube video for Uplink.. I may have even played a demo a while back? Hacker type game.

Demolition looks fun if it's the one I'm thinking of.. is it one of the Holiday achievement games?

Probably doesn't help, but have fun!

I played X-Com years ago and loved it and tried the demo for DEFCON and enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback.

codhand

Do I want Alice?

Loved it, the total package; platforming/combat/graphics/sound, all excellent, needs a gamepad, keyboard gave me arthritis on this one. Game is not that long, 13 hours maybe? Repetitive? I guess, didn't bother me though, really good story with a nice twist.

JoseJX

Thought I'd put in a good word for Demolition Inc., it's a bit more strategic than I thought it was going to be. I ended up playing it for longer than I thought I would and getting the achievement isn't hard. Totally worth the $2.50.

Although, all I've gotten so far is coupons and coal. All 50% off coupons, but still, only coupons.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Who got the X3 Albion Prelude achievement? Any tips?

I choose the terran commander and been flying non stop.

Look for freighters. Slow moving tankers and such. Approach them and open fire. Open upcommunication and ask them to surrender. Start firing and take out their shields. Keep the shields from recharging and slowly chip away at their hull whilst sending surrender requests every few seconds. If he doesn't bail after a few minutes, move onto another target. Attacking friendly freighters in friendly space might piss off the police or military. Take heed.

Or engage pirates or enemies in combat. Fight but spam surrender requests as you do so. Will take a few tries for sure.

Relax.MX

I just had the achievement of Champions Online(i hate every second of that game), if i uninstall the game(i need space), when the achie becomes daily i need to install the game again?

I'm mad at myself for not picking this up. FUCK.

Chances we see it on sale again?

I don't recall seeing it reaching too high on the best sellers list that day. Last day is usually the ones that sold best repeating the deal from the respective days. So if I had to guess I'd say you missed it. You can try your luck at the trading thread and see if anyone happened to pick up an extra/gift copy.

Rufus

Who got the X3 Albion Prelude achievement? Any tips?

I choose the terran commander and been flying non stop.
I picked the Argon Peacekeeper. There seemed to be a lot more ships in the immediate vicinity.

Dunno how much you've figured out already, so some general tips for everyone: Find a civilian or a transport ship, autopilot your way to them (click on them and a context menu should pop up). You'll see an X pop up near where your reticule is when you're almost in range. That's your targeting computer, calculating how far and in what direction you need to lead. The X will change shape when you're in range. Shoot with right click but fire slowly, especially on civilian ships. They are quite fragile and might blow up the moment your first volley reaches them. Deplete their shields (blue bar) and then damage their hull (green bar) shot for shot until they hail you and bail. If your victim doesn't bail, don't kill them. Just hail them (press c) and any authorities they may have alerted and apologize. Then terrorize someone else.

Sarcasm

Look for freighters. Slow moving tankers and such. Approach them and open fire. Open upcommunication and ask them to surrender. Start firing and take out their shields. Keep the shields from recharging and slowly chip away at their hull whilst sending surrender requests every few seconds. If he doesn't bail after a few minutes, move onto another target. Attacking friendly freighters in friendly space might piss off the police or military. Take heed.

Or engage pirates or enemies in combat. Fight but spam surrender requests as you do so. Will take a few tries for sure.

Yeah I just decided to attack some transport. I turned auto aim to on and got 2km and fired.

Verdict on Dungeons: The Dark Lord?

Try the demo. It's certainly not for everyone. If you don't mind micromanagement and having a bunch of things happening at once and being completely unable to manage the chaos, you might like it.

If you do buy it, note that you can get a second copy for a dollar more.

Echoes

My name is Echoes and I'm an addict.

steam1.GIF

steam2.GIF

Fou-Lu

So, X3... What am I getting into if I buy these games? I absolutely love the general idea, but I'm afraid the complexity may scare me off after I buy them.

Probably going to pick up Alice if only for the art and atmosphere.

Also, Hard Reset continues to impress, and man is it a hard game. I didn't expect that. I've died a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom