• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano

Banned
I've got these games lined up in my shopping cart:
Bulletstorm
Rock of Ages
Bastion
Sonic Generations

$22 total. More than I'm comfortable spending on a single day since there's another week to the sale and I have no income right now.

What should go? Only one I'm pretty set on is Sonic Generations. Other three are just positive word of mouf.

Bulletstorm
Rock of Ages
Bastion
Sonic Generations

$22 total. More than I'm comfortable spending on a single day since there's another week to the sale and I have no income right now.

What should go? Only one I'm pretty set on is Sonic Generations. Other three are just positive word of mouf.

I'd get rid of Bulletstorm

Xzior

Bulletstorm
Rock of Ages
Bastion
Sonic Generations

Buy what you really want now and wait with the ones you're on the fence about. You got a few hours to buy old daily deals when the new goes up.

Xanathus

Bulletstorm
Rock of Ages
Bastion
Sonic Generations

Bastion is way overrated.

Piano

Banned
Considering getting rid of Bastion even though it's allegedly great...my slowburn and action RPG slots are filled with Skyrim right now.

Yes, I know they're not similar at all. But I'm trying to make an arbitrary decision here.

MRORANGE

Upset I got Generations for $15 instead of $10. FML.

NFYmG.png

I just bought Bastion after all the praise it was getting here before, and now people are lining up to shit all over it. Cheers Gaf!

Critcism is not the same as shitting all over something.

You want one of the BioWare threads.

Saying something is overrated but still good is not saying it is shit. Jesus Christ.

Xanathus

Overrated doesn't mean bad, though. It's still really good.

Yeah it's a decent indie game, it's just that reviewers gush all over it because it has some innovative features (well just the narration), but the gameplay gets repetitive after an hour or two. Saying it's overrated means I don't think it deserves the applause that critics give it.

Soule

I came in here to say I bought Bastion cause of all the praise it got and now I have buyers remorse from all the negativity in here D:

Bastion was it for me today, and with that I think I'm probably done with the Steam sale (for games that I know of). I'm interested in NFS: Hot Pursuit, but it hasn't hit that magical $5 mark, so not sure I'll end up going for it.

Waiting for Hot Pursuit 2010 to hit $5 too... come on EA, you fucks.

Speevy

Banned
Kill this mother****er. Come on, mother****er! Let's go c***sucker, we have to save this ****ing ****er.

I think there's some organization within professional game development dedicated to the purpose of getting even for all those years when games weren't buried under piles of foul language.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So. Bulletstorm.

Would I like it? I'm an RPG fan/Asperger's numbers nut. I also enjoy shooters.

You enjoy shooters, so that will help. Do you like kicking people into giant cacti and/or shooting people in the butt with sniper rifles? If so, you might like Bulletstorm. It makes killing people fun again. The clever weapons combined with the speedy traversal (sliding, weeeeeeee) and the skill shot system make for some of the best combat in any recent shooter. It's fast, fluid and very, very gory. The humor felt a bit forced to me, the campaign is linear and not very replayable, and the MP mode was pretty barebones, but I had a fucking blast with it. If you don't buy it at $5 then you are probably a jerk.

You enjoy shooters, so that will help. Do you like kicking people into giant cacti and/or shooting people in the butt with sniper rifles? If so, you might like Bulletstorm. It makes killing people fun again. The clever weapons combined with the speedy traversal (sliding, weeeeeeee) and the skill shot system make for some of the best combat in any recent shooter. It's fast, fluid and very, very gory. The humor felt a bit forced to me, the campaign is linear and not very replayable, and the MP mode was pretty barebones, but I had a fucking blast with it.

So, $2 instead of $4?

Downloading demo.

Piano

Banned
Alright, I nixed Bastion. Limbo was another presentation-laden boring-gameplay game I just couldn't get into.

Is Rock of Ages fun beyond its novel concept? As in, will I play it for more than 45 minutes?

derFeef

So, $2 instead of $4?

Downloading demo.

The bulletstorm demo is a horrible interpretation of the game (if it's the same as on consoles).

It's one of the most fun shooters I played in years. The shooting is great, the guns are crazy, and the scoring system encourages you to approach enemys in different ways every time. The humor is on the "ymmv" side - I personally enjyoed the over the top ridiculousness.

Duki

Banned
bastion is really boring

this steam sale has sucked wtf

they used to offer real games for cheap, not just random indie garbage

Alright, I nixed Bastion. Limbo was another presentation-laden boring-gameplay game I just couldn't get into.

Is Rock of Ages fun beyond its novel concept? As in, will I play it for more than 45 minutes?

For what its worth I think Bastion is approximately four times better than limbo.

Also I beat Rock of Ages in 4 hours. I'll probably never touch it again. I liked it though. Funny. Wouldn't buy it unless you like light tower defense and super monkey ball though... 'cause thats all it really is.

ShaneB

I was just having a chat with a fellow gaffer. I told him Steam is a lot like Pokemon in that you sometimes buy to collect the games. So I was thinking what if we called it

SteamKEMAN?!?!?!!?!? Anyone!!?!?!? /crickets

You're so silly. :)

It's a case of digital purchase being so quick and simple with a few mouse clicks, and so many deals.

It's hard to resist!! Thankfully I've been pretty good, but now that I realize I could probably play Skyrim, I wonder about buying that. LOL... ah hell with it, I can wait until the summer sale or something.

Scythian

Should I buy King's Bounty: Platinum Edition? I was thinking about buying only The Legend, and in future sales, AP and Crossworlds.
Sonic Generations is sitting in my cart, and that's about it for today, I think.

Piano

Banned
For what its worth I think Bastion is approximately four times better than limbo.

Also I beat Rock of Ages in 4 hours. I'll probably never touch it again. I liked it though. Funny. Wouldn't buy it unless you like light tower defense and super monkey ball though... 'cause thats all it really is.

Meh, I can spend 4 hours on the games I already own.

Ended up only biting on Bulletstorm and Sonic. Thanks, GAF.

Xanathus

Rock of Ages is worth purchasing because of the funny Pythonesque cutscenes and the soundtrack which comes free with the game. It's in your game directory.

Yeah it's a decent indie game, it's just that reviewers gush all over it because it has some innovative features (well just the narration), but the gameplay gets repetitive after an hour or two. Saying it's overrated means I don't think it deserves the applause that critics give it.

I don't think it's too bad as long as you don't want to do New Game+. It's somewhat boring but it seems the length is just good enough that it's fine on the first playthrough but feels a lot worse on the second playthrough to do new game+.

I'm thinking...

Bastion
Sonic Generations
Anomaly:Warzone Earth

Anomaly is the only one I've never seen before, but I like trying new things and the price seems good. Anyone else have any experience with that game? Oh, I also forgot to ask how Generations runs on the PC...
Indeed haha!

Bulletstorm for 4.99?

Oh yeah.

Of course, the steam severs are getting pounded harder than a 9 year old at a NAMBLA convention.

Still....I'm sitting here looking at my download speeds like this:

uezV9.gif

Vamphuntr

no, I have never even played TF2 aside from installing, looking around, playing the tutorial and uninstalling it. :p

could I gift wrap these items (12 total) in TF2?

You're not supposed to be able to trade TF2 items unless you have a premium account/bought something from the TF2 store beforehand. Still, not everything is tradeable but those hats are.

I'm thinking about Anomaly: Warzone Earth and maybe a Worms game because I love Worms. My problem is I keep eyeing that Great Gift Pile and possibly picking up games just to satisfy those achievements and maybe get more games. Agh!

I'm also torn between the Awesome Indie Bundle and the Super Indie Bundle. The Awesome Bundle has more games I really want (Cave Story+, Bunch of Heroes, Gemini Rue) but several games I'd probably never play (Fractal, Hacker Evolution, Lightfish). Meanwhile Super has some games I'm kinda interested in (Sideway: New York, Swords & Soldiers HD, Rock of Ages, Jamestown, Blocks That Matter) but nothing that really grabs me, but also nothing that I'm completely not interested in.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Is King's Bounty any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom