• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sale has cost me a pretty penny so far, but I feel I've gotten my money's worth. Still waiting for daily's on:

Assassins Creed Brotherhood
LA Noire
NBA 2K12 (hoping they match Amazon's $10 deal)
Earth Defense Force
Trine 2
Wolfenstein
Sonic and SEGA All star Racing
Driver San Fran
Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Potter
Morrowind GOTY
a cheaper Unreal Deal Pack would be awesome as well

and a bunch of Capcom stuff (I know, I know..)
SSF4:AE
Lost Planet Colonies
LP2
RE5
DMC3/4
Onimusha

...maybe I should just be happy that capcom doesn't know what its missing with the good deals.

oh god champions online reminded me why i fucking quit playing world of warcraft

I don't know if the one everyone says is the achievement is ACTUALLY the achievement they'll use, but if it is, and you plan to do it, I recommend doing it now, before the rush. It's already annoying enough. Doing it when everyone else is doing it will just amplify the torturous agony.

Maybe I'm overestimating just how many people do these things, though.

Ugh, I'd rather play Spiral Knights for another ten hours than touch Champions Online ever again.

TheBez

Does anyone have any copies of Saints Row the Third left over form the daily deal? I missed it, how much was it again? Also does anyone want to trade me Sonic and Bastion for a $15 iTunes gift card and a Steam copy of Portal?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I never understood the dislike for Bastion....

There's always a difference of opinion, but much of the complaints about Bastion seem to stem from an over exaggeration of the statement "the combat is simple."

The simplicity of the combat is only part of my problem with Bastion. The larger issue is how repetitive it is. Most of the levels I played came down to: follow linear path -> enter area full of enemies -> return to path, rinse and repeat. This wouldn't be quite as problematic if the combat wasn't so simple. I found it shallow and tedious, without any challenge or tactics. On top of that, there wasn't much in the way of enemy variety either, another issue which added to the feeling of repetition. I liked it at first, but it started to feel like a slog a few hours in.

I would never call it a "shit" game, and I enjoyed the aesthetics, but I just didn't enjoy playing it.

The simplicity of the combat is only part of my problem with Bastion. The larger issue is how repetitive it is. Most of the levels I played came down to: follow linear path -> enter area full of enemies -> return to path, rinse and repeat. This wouldn't be quite as problematic if the combat wasn't so simple. I found it shallow and tedious, without any challenge or tactics. On top of that, there wasn't much in the way of enemy variety either, another issue which added to the feeling of repetition. I liked it at first, but it started to feel like a slog a few hours in.

I would never call it a "shit" game, and I enjoyed the aesthetics, but I just didn't enjoy playing it.
True dat.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Challenge for Bastion was turning on all the gods as early as possible. Doing the dreams with them as well is a pretty good challenge. Wonderful game, soundtrack, art, VA but I can see how some people found it repetitive. Personally I liked trying all the different weapon/secret skill/weapon upgrade combinations out on my journey through the game and that was enough to keep me interested the first time around. Plus the length was perfect so I never felt any dragging.

I found the combat neither simple nor repetitive. If all you do is mash the button, you're bound to lose [if you actually bother to turn up the difficulty, using the idols]. Of course, playing on the easiest difficulty in a combat-oriented game is going to things boring if you're at all comfortable with the genre.

Finding the optimal weapon/skill layouts (not to mention just trying something out for fun, as there is a ton of variety, not only between just the weapons, but also the weapon upgrades) was fun. I'd like to see anyone mash their way through the last level without dying repeatedly.

That's ok, thanks anyways. I might force myself later to try again.
Do 3v3 PvE, pick Ichorr, follow some dude around, don't steal the kills. I managed to get over 20 assists by doing this.

Zakkath

So I haven't done or bought anything during the holiday sales and I found out I've received Portal 2 as a gift. Did Valve just gave the game to everyone or what ? Cause I 99.9% sure nobody bought it for me on steam.

The only thing I've done on steam during the last week beside browsing the store was playing a game of Civ 5.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
finally got something other than coal and it's....

Snsn5.png

0c8db012382bde1cbe56c1c73567265a2525b6a9.gif

Popstar

So I haven't done or bought anything during the holiday sales and I found out I've received Portal 2 as a gift. Did Valve just gave the game to everyone or what ? Cause I 99.9% sure nobody bought it for me on steam.

The only thing I've done on steam during the last week beside browsing the store was playing a game of Civ 5.
Valve gave a gift to everyone. Not everyone got a game tho. Lots of people just got a coupon.

Derrick01

Banned
I just came home from my mini vacation and realized that I spent about $90 in the last 3 days alone, half of that for mw3 though...before I noticed it was $10 cheaper on Amazon :(

At least I'm home now so I can actually play them though. I got like 15 challenges to catch up on.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I completely agree with everything you just said. I really don't understand how so many seem to dismiss the game's combat as secondary to its art direction and storytelling considering it's such a main part of the experience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The levels were relatively short, and each completed level unlocked at least one Proving Ground, which are much closer to puzzle-like stuff. The combat itself, while simple, ends up being dynamic because of the quick pace of new weapons being unlocked. I will say that there are some weapons that are clearly better than others (I liked the armor-ignoring aspect of the flamethrower the best) but in your first run through, the top shelf weapons are constantly changing.

Challenge largely comes from the difficulty modifiers; playing a game on its easiest setting and finding it too easy is silly if you have the option to make it harder and don't take it. With more of the modifiers turned on, you need a greater mastery of the timing/shield elements and need to make savvy weapon and booze choices.

Chavelo

/Help out a gaffer and his bros by getting them cheaper copies of games (Batman: AC and Bulletstorm) in steam.

/Get a some paypal cash for helping out. (Worms: Reloaded + achievement, here I come!)

nvPkA.png

EDIT:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

okay-face.jpg

STEAM SALES

Echoes

Thanks to Echoes for trading me Sonic Generations for Bulletstorm help, was really kind and unexpected. :)

It's my pleasure! Sonic Generations is a wonderful game, and that's coming from a 2D-Sonic fan.

I bought desert island-worth of games. Sigh.

Red

I was really looking forward to playing EYE, but after spending a half hour with the game I just don't know if I can do it. It's too messy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom