• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

Same! I made a similar comment after my time with Rise of Immortals was done, and was quickly referred to League of Legends as well. Must check that out after we're done being so Gabe-focused here, as I didn't mind RoI, really.

So, as compelling as DOTA2 sounds, I'm expecting the community to be HARDCORE, yeah? I take it LoL might be easier for a newbie to wade into?

DOTA games have really terrible communities in general, though LoL is relatively nicer in comparison (but only because HoN/DotA guys tend to be real asshats, lol). The thing about Dota 2 is that people have been playing Dota for the better part of a decade, so from a player perspective there are just some basic concepts that you assume people will know, and it's very frustrating when they don't. It doesn't help that there's such a steep learning curve for a new player, since basic competency requires you to know all of the 100+ heroes and all of the items, not to mention the actual strategy. People are just a lot harsher in these games since it only takes one player to completely ruin a game, which can be an hour-long time investment.

Buuuuuuuut, to answer your question, LoL is designed to be an easier game to get into for sure. There are a lot of aspects streamlined, the map is simpler, there are no denies, and deaths are not punished as heavily. That's not to say that I think the game is a dumbed-down version of DOTA (though diehard DOTA/HoN fans would certainly argue that); it's a very different game though in the same small sub-genre. As I said before, if you actually liked Rise of the Immortals (yuck), you will LOVE either Dota 2 or LoL.

Boken

Banned
Same! I made a similar comment after my time with Rise of Immortals was done, and was quickly referred to League of Legends as well. Must check that out after we're done being so Gabe-focused here, as I didn't mind RoI, really.

So, as compelling as DOTA2 sounds, I'm expecting the community to be HARDCORE, yeah? I take it LoL might be easier for a newbie to wade into?

If you liked Rise of Immortals, it's closer to LoL than it is to DotA, so give that a shot.

the LoL community is generally nicer (because there's more casuals perhaps) and LoL itself has a lower access curve compared to DotA. It will still however, teach you the basics of the genre so you can go play DotA later if you wish

Card Boy

Banned
I went to ask Arken (gaffer) if he could help me with gifting Dead Space 2 from the US as its 18bucks here, i was ready with Paypal and all. The generous bloke justs gifts me Dead Space 2 as a present!

Thanks Arken2121, too generous!

/bow
/bow
/bow

gdt

Bah, really thinking on picking up SS3:BFE from GetGames. Never played a SS game though. But a game so new so cheap...I think I need it.

Edit: Aaaaaand they're out of keys anyway (for now).

linko9

So I just noticed that all of the Oddworld games are 75% off during the holiday sale. Are there any other games that are secretly discounted to 75%? Is there any way to get a list of these games?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lol, I just unlocked a cheevo in Dungeons of Dredmor because the game crashed. "Suddenly The Dungeon Collapses - This achievement is our way of saying "thank you for participating in our voluntary quality assurance program." That's a first.

Artofwar420

GAF really has some awesome guys (or gals)!

hmm. is it me or are today's achievements hardest thus far

For sure. Revenge of the Titans was super hard and what do I get for doing it? A coupon. Dungeon Defenders? COUPON. It seems that the harder I try the worst my luck is. This conclusion is totally scientific.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I just unlocked a cheevo in Dungeons of Dredmor because the game crashed. "Suddenly The Dungeon Collapses - This achievement is our way of saying "thank you for participating in our voluntary quality assurance program." That's a first.

Ha! This game...

I have to say, the Great Gift Pile achievement thing has gotten me to spend way more money on games I probably would have been hesitant about getting under normal circumstances. Way to go, Gabe/Valve/people who came up with this, you found a good way to take my $$ from me.

Games I've picked up for achievement pileness:

Anomaly Warzone Earth (haven't played yet)
Atom Zombie Smasher (doesn't work on this computer)
Frozen Synapse (favorite pick-up, will play lots more)
Hard Reset (haven't played yet)
Revenge of the Titans (fun, despite not normally liking tower defense)
Sanctum (haven't played yet)
Solar 2 (okay, not great but a nice timewaster)
SPAZ (alright, world is massive and I don't think I'll have the patience to finish the whole thing)
Worms Reloaded (always love Worms games, still holding out for Armageddon, though)

And that's just the achievement ones. I've also picked up:

Mass Effect 2
Overlord Complete Pack
RAGE
Terraria

and the Awesome Indie Bundle (the favorite so far from this being Jamestown).

This past week has really been like a sampler platter for games. I'm playing bits and pieces to get the holiday achievements and finding out if I like them or not. If only I didn't have to pay for all of them to get this experience. :|

inky

Well technically Revenge of the Titans is easy since theres a save u can use.

It is really not that hard to do, it just takes some time. I found it really fun, tho it's trial and error for sure.

I popped in to a game with 2 lvl 74 dudes and I stood around while they did everything. Got my cheeve and still have no clue how to play this damn game

If I can't do this I'll probably just skip it, and this is coming from someone who has done the Crimecraft, Rise of Immortals, Rusty Hearts and Champions Online ones already. The only other one I think I'll skip is the Binding of Isaac. I don't like that game at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have to say, the Great Gift Pile achievement thing has gotten me to spend way more money on games I probably would have been hesitant about getting under normal circumstances. Way to go, Gabe/Valve/people who came up with this, you found a good way to take my $$ from me.

Games I've picked up for achievement pileness:

Anomaly Warzone Earth (haven't played yet)
Atom Zombie Smasher (doesn't work on this computer)
Frozen Synapse (favorite pick-up, will play lots more)
Hard Reset (haven't played yet)
Revenge of the Titans (fun, despite not normally liking tower defense)
Sanctum (haven't played yet)
Solar 2 (okay, not great but a nice timewaster)
SPAZ (alright, world is massive and I don't think I'll have the patience to finish the whole thing)
Worms Reloaded (always love Worms games, still holding out for Armageddon, though)

And that's just the achievement ones. I've also picked up:

Mass Effect 2
Overlord Complete Pack
RAGE
Terraria

and the Awesome Indie Bundle (the favorite so far from this being Jamestown).

This past week has really been like a sampler platter for games. I'm playing bits and pieces to get the holiday achievements and finding out if I like them or not. If only I didn't have to pay for all of them to get this experience. :|

The only Christmas achievement game I haven't bought is Game of Thrones, since $20 was too much for something I'm not particularly interested in (even the ~$13 for Tropico 4 was pushing it).

gdt

Also thinking about getting Serious Sam 1/2 HD. For $3.99 seems awesome. Are the games actually good? Or are they I-miss-outdated-gameplay good?

Also thinking about getting Serious Sam 1/2 HD. For $3.99 seems awesome. Are the games actually good? Or are they I-miss-outdated-gameplay good?

They are serious sam games... if you liked SS3 (or are vaguely interested in it) you might as well pick up those as well.

Sarcasm

I just played 71 minutes of SPAZ love it kinda hard though and still no xmas cheevo.

Also who wants to 4 man the Dungeon Defedners for xmas cheevo?

I have Asscreed 2 and Brotherhoods on the 360 but never played them yet >_>

I was wondering how much better they are on PC, if they are at all? I remember some DRM issues in the past that were pretty fucked up.

They're pretty good PC ports if you have a decent system (I'm on C2D/GTX 275) and the always-online DRM has been removed from AC2 (it was never in Brotherhood). I think they still require a one-time check on startup but that's it.

The only Christmas achievement game I haven't bought is Game of Thrones, since $20 was too much for something I'm not particularly interested in (even the ~$13 for Tropico 4 was pushing it).

It's been really hard for me to not pick up every holiday game, so I've been cherry-picking the ones that actually seem interesting to me. I just look at all the games I got last year during the Steam winter sale that I haven't touched yet and cry, which helps keep me grounded.

oipic

As I said before, if you actually liked Rise of the Immortals (yuck), you will LOVE either Dota 2 or LoL.

Yeah, must've been the shiny new-ness of it, as it was my introduction to the whole MOBA thing. Due to my general suckiness at most things game-like, I tend to not be a big online gamer at all...but I was lucky enough to be teamed up with some friendly folks, so the co-op aspect was refreshing, I suppose.

If you liked Rise of Immortals, it's closer to LoL than it is to DotA, so give that a shot.

the LoL community is generally nicer (because there's more casuals perhaps) and LoL itself has a lower access curve compared to DotA. It will still however, teach you the basics of the genre so you can go play DotA later if you wish

I shall indeed give it a crack, thanks, so maybe I'll be better prepared to:

Go with Dota and learn with GAF.

...when DOTA2 is released/beta invites are more common (still some achievements to get, so fingers crossed!).

Thanks for the discussion and info, guys (and apologies for straying from the Gabe-ness). :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My fps in Serious Sam 3 fuggin' tanked after like twenty minutes, was running smooth as silk up to that point. Ripping out a dude's heart dropped me into PS3 Skyrim territory. Couldn't even get the Christmas achievement.

i sad

My fps in Serious Sam 3 fuggin' tanked after like twenty minutes, was running smooth as silk up to that point. Ripping out a dude's heart dropped me into PS3 Skyrim territory. Couldn't even get the Christmas achievement.

i sad

Ran really shitty for me earlier today, too. Didn't start out smooth, though. Just shitty all around.

Then I played some Saints Row and it was way worse than usual, with input lag, and framerate drops below what I'm used to, so I dunno what's going on. I guess I should try reinstalling Windows restarting my computer.

Anyone down to trade some lame coupons or something to unlock the trading achievement? Hit me up at yatesmachine on Steam if so.

Edit: Thanks to those that messaged me!

Today is going to be the first day that I have a game for a daily objective but I don't complete the achievement for it. That game is Dungeon Defenders. Why would they choose an achievement which is basically impossible for new players?

It seems to me that some developers have not really understood how to design these daily achievements. If it were up to me, I would imagine that the achievement should be doable by a newbie in about 30-45 minutes of playing the game normally, doesn't have completely obscure requirements and shows off the best parts of your game to entice the player to continue even after getting the achievement. Revenge of the Titans, Dungeon Defenders and heck even Serious Sam 3 have gotten this wrong. (The Serious Sam 3 achievement isn't at all hard, but there's no way it can be obtained by anyone who is not specifically hunting for that achievement).

Today is going to be the first day that I have a game for a daily objective but I don't complete the achievement for it. That game is Dungeon Defenders. Why would they choose an achievement which is basically impossible for new players?

It seems to me that some developers have not really understood how to design these daily achievements. If it were up to me, I would imagine that the achievement should be doable by a newbie in about 30-45 minutes of playing the game normally, doesn't have completely obscure requirements and shows off the best parts of your game to entice the player to continue even after getting the achievement. Revenge of the Titans, Dungeon Defenders and heck even Serious Sam 3 have gotten this wrong. (The Serious Sam 3 achievement isn't at all hard, but there's no way it can be obtained by anyone who is not specifically hunting for that achievement).

Yeah some of 'em are really dumb. You can undoubtedly find someone here to help you, though. I kind of had to get carried myself.

On the other hand, for people who already own and play the games, it probably seems like a nice challenge. I liked the Dungeon Defenders one, personally. Shrug.

Does anyone want to try and take that Dungeon Defenders achievement on together? I'm only level 11 so I won't be too much help, but we can get a group going, I'm sure there's a few of us that need that achievement still.

upandaway

Serious Sam First Encounter or Second Encounter? I have 2 bucks left on my budget (not breaking it) and can't really decide based on anything.

sohois

Received my first free game of the Winter sale, Nimbus. I'd never even heard of it before, but it seems like a decent game so can't complain. Certainly better than that 25% off Activision coupon i got.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In case you care about the story, I'll sum up the first game.

"Sam and online coop friends get a bunch of weapons and blow up a million bad guys though a series of fun filled levels. Oh, and there is a space ship"

At least that is what I got out of it when I played.

Ledsen

Received my first free game of the Winter sale, Nimbus. I'd never even heard of it before, but it seems like a decent game so can't complain. Certainly better than that 25% off Activision coupon i got.

Its actually an amazing game, biggest surprise of the year for me. Everyone who likes platformers and games like super meat boy should play it, even though it isn't as hard and not strictly a platformer.

In case you care about the story, I'll sum up the first game.

"Sam and online coop friends get a bunch of weapons and blow up a million bad guys though a series of fun filled levels. Oh, and there is a space ship"

At least that is what I got out of it when I played.

Pretty accurate, yeah.

Platy

Well technically Revenge of the Titans is easy since theres a save u can use.

Unless you finish the mode, see the ending ... and kill only 4 ultrayeti !
For some reason the 5th didn't showed up and i didn't got the achivement o_O
This is with me doind the achivement "manualy" ....

I guess this mean that i will try the save =P

I know everyone buys games they don't plan on playing until the video game apocalypse, but I feel like I'm buying games that I don't plan on playing until I've finished playing all the games I have saved up for that.

When I found myself considering buying another set of shelves because I had filled all my shelves with games, I decided to become a collection purger. However, of the nearly 50 games I've sold/traded, there have been 10-20 where I felt varying levels of regret, so I started buying back some of them recently.

This is where Steam comes in, since those games don't take up shelf space (!) and I've seen the light of PC gaming over console gaming over the past year. So I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum, and today, I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed 2. Both games I've finished, but like the idea of owning again. I'm waiting out Mirror's Edge, but will buy it at $10 if it doesn't go on daily. Hell, I wanted to buy Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 the other day. I still have the 360 versions of those two. And Mass Effect on Origin. I was considering paying $5 just for it to be on Steam instead, something I've done before. I'm considering buying Dead Space and Dead Space 2 today. I'm not sure I even like Dead Space. I played a decent chunk on 360 before I decided I respected it, but dreaded playing it and traded it in. The idea of starting over on PC makes me dread it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom