• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophane33

I heard Hearts of Iron III messes the whole thing up. Apparently the second one is better, and the mod/overhaul of it, Darkest Hour (made by superfans of the series), is even better. It is currently $4.

Correct. HoI II and it's expansions are better than III, also Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy are also superior games, maybe even moreso than II. If you have one or all of those, go ahead and try III, it's not a terrible price,I found the tutorial lacking and the military action to be overly complicated. It is NOT EU3 with a WWII theme. I paid a couple dollars more in fact during the GamersGate Winter Sale. Glad to see another Paradox title on display yet again. This is giving me hope for Sengoku or Victoria II to go to 75%.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Did the Sequence achievement and got coal... then crafted and got the X Superbox!

Thanks Feep! :3

Kuroyume

Banned
Do you have steam cloud enabled? Make sure it's in the correct folder if you do have that because it's different if you don't have steam cloud enabled. The game should give you a prompt to start with the save if you select the bonus level.

coopolon

For some reason, the Titans save file is not working for me. I put the files in the Titans folder in Steamapps and everything.

I turned off cloud saves, started the bonus round and saved the game, exited, then put into C:\Users\username\.revenge_of_the_titans_1.80. I did not have any save files though, this would probably erase your savefiles if you have already started the campaign or something.

Prodigal

Banned
Got a copy of Rush if anyone wants to trade for it lol

It'll be a future cheevo for coal if that's your thing! (I might as well just install it and get it over with)

Prophane33

I'm debating whether or not to get Sengoku for my friend if it does. He would love it, but so much that it might ruin his life.

If it doesn't, your best bet is to get it on GamersGate where it's around 10 bucks rather than Steam where it's currently around 20 bucks. They are more or less a glorified version of the official paradox store. However, as far as Paradox's games go, during Daily Deals Steam's prices are known to be better than GG's. Regular sale prices, not so much.

The only Paradox game on steam I own is the Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles because it was so much cheaper on Steam when it was a daily deal during the Thanksgiving sale.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, should I get Tomb Raider Anniversary? I know most people recommend it over the other TR games, but let's forget those even exist. Is TRA a game worth getting, without comparing it to anything else?

Card Boy

Banned
Seriously now.. 17 Coal and 2 coupons. I wonder what the odds are for this.

20 coal, 1 Hacker Evolution, 2 shit coupons here. Just being trading my coal for guaranteed games.

So far i have gotten for trades

Fallout Collection
Race 07
Arma Cold War
Mafia 1
The Ship
Dangerous Waters

StuBurns

Banned
So, should I get Tomb Raider Anniversary? I know most people recommend it over the other TR games, but let's forget those even exist. Is TRA a game worth getting, without comparing it to anything else?
It's difficult to really give impressions outside of the context of the series, or the fact it's a remake of a game of some importance.

It's a pulpy action adventure game with a focus on simple puzzle solving and spacial awareness with some combat, mostly inoffensive but also unrewarding. It has an excellent sense of scope and place.

I think it's a great game, I do believe I'd think it was if it wasn't a remake of Tomb Raider 1.

KScorp

The Etheral Shards one, it has new map, new weapons, and increases the Level cap. And if your really into the game u can get the collection.

The new one, which is not on sale, is worth it. The others aren't really, as the host can have the DLC and those who don't have it can still play it.

The character pack is a bit of a rip. It's only reskins with very little difference (minor ability changes). The holiday stuff was free if you activated it around the release (xmas still is). The eternia stuff can be gotten in a combo pack (the 4 expansions for $8 or so. I don't knnow if it's on sale right now) It's well worth the money since it adds a lot of new content. Most of it is veeery late game stuff though. I'm 120+ hrs in and can't beat the second round on the first map on nightmare. Bottom line is skip the characters (unless you really like the game), and get the rest if it's onsale.

Thanks everyone. I'll get the Lost Eternia complete pack if I have a lot of fun with the game.

Not Steam holiday related per se but amazon has the dead space series (1&2) both for $10 while at steam it's $25.

Are both games off amazon redeem on steam ? and if not, what sort of DRM are we looking at here ?

Man, this achievement hunting game is more popular than the one in the summer. The Winter group is near 1.2 million subscribers. Summer group has less than 500,000. I think it never made it pass 700,000.

This is really tempting me to not save up on the coal and go ahead and craft it all. The odds of one coal winning out of 1.2 million is less than .01%, and that is if you are only going for getting the top five items on your wishlist.

Javaman

120 hours in Dungeon Defenders?? What's taking you that much time, is there a lot of grinding for later story levels or are you going for high scores or something?

The story stuff was pretty easy to get through, but the hard and insane challenges and achievements are taking a lot longer. It hasn't felt like a grind yet, but I'm sure nightmare mode definitely will.

So which of the Tomb Raider games is worth getting? I've pretty much only played the originals on PS1 and thought they were pretty fun aside from the tank controls

Man, this achievement hunting game is more popular than the one in the summer. The Winter group is near 1.2 million subscribers. Summer group has less than 500,000. I think it never made it pass 700,000.

This is really tempting me to not save up on the coal and go ahead and craft it all. The odds of one coal winning out of 1.2 million is less than .01%, and that is if you are only going for getting the top five items on your wishlist.
I'm balancing the low, low odds of winning the grand prize with the odds of me getting really, really angry when I craft a 10% coupon.

At least I've won one game out of this (Stranger's Wrath), even if I already have it. And a couple of the coupons aren't total garbage (then there's the 10% Codemasters coupon...).

atomsk

Party Pooper
I turned off cloud saves, started the bonus round and saved the game, exited, then put into C:\Users\username\.revenge_of_the_titans_1.80. I did not have any save files though, this would probably erase your savefiles if you have already started the campaign or something.

They already erased my completed save game when they added Cloud Support, so I didn't feel bad about doing this at all.

manhack

25 Coal - TIME TO CRAFT! :)

1. -50% The Ball (owned)
2. -50 Solar2 (owned)
3. -60% Hearts of Iron III (currently Daily Deal -75% -PWNED)

at least I still have 4 coal...

Right guys? :)

Right? :|

Right? :(

;_;

I'm also pretty sure that January 1st deals will be the best of repeats. This is mainly due to the fact that the Winter achievements stop on December 31st. So no new achievements means no new deals.

I'm also pretty sure that January 1st deals will be the best of repeats. This mainly due to the fact that the Winter achievements stop on December 31st. So no new achievements means no new deals.

I'm so wishing Portal 2 goes up as a repeat come Jan 1st. Only one I regret not getting when it went as a daily. Any guesses as to which games have the most chance of showing up again on recap day?

I'm so wishing Portal 2 goes up as a repeat come Jan 1st. Only one I regret not getting when it went as a daily. Any guesses as to which games have the most chance of showing up again on recap day?

They usually do it by which sold the most monetarily. Only one I would say that will definitely be there is Skyrim.

Ledsen

I have a 50% off Portal 2, I'll do a long shot and ask if you want to trade it for any of the Tomb Raider games?

edit: oh maybe that comes to the same amount it was discounted already, never mind...

edit2: I'll just give it to you if you give me your Steam id.

edit3: lol you won't be able to use it until jan 2nd... nevermind again :)

gabbo

So, I may have missed it posted earlier, but I thought I'd simply ask again:
What's the word on AssCreed2 and Dead Space 2's DRM situation?
DS2 seems to have the EA activation limit/EA Account from the Steam page; did AssCreed2 get its always online nonsense patched out, as its not listed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom