• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

p3cSZ.png

30th December Daily Deals: image

I tried to get into Fallout:NV after the Thanksgiving sale but the inventory management system really turned me off to it. Granted, this was shortly after playing entirely through Badlands and falling in love with that game. Good pickup at $5 though!

C&C RA3 is incredibly good and a must buy. C&C4 is ok but nowhere near as fun, in fact I ran into a level that I had the most difficult time beating even on easy. Where you defend a town in the center and waves of enemies pour down on you. Looking online revealed it was a common problem of the difficulty being way out of whack etc. Still a good pick up but be warned!

anddo0

Heads up for those considering New Vegas: GotY edition due in February, pretty safe bet for the summer sale.

I won't be able to get around to it until then anyway, so I think I'm going to hold off.

The current deal plus all the dlc is a better value than the GOTY edition. I know it will go on sale summer/fall. But, I see no reason to wait if the person interested.

Ionic

I got that Meat Boy achievement for beating all the levels way back on December 16th, but now it says I didn't. Same for the Flight Control one. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to do these in advance. Now I have to decide whether I want to torture myself with the reverse Kid stage again.

I just noticed Might and Magic Heroes VI is included in the massive 40$ HoMM package...I'm tempted...so tempted. Wish they would shave off another 15 or so in a daily deal though, because I'm not really interested in HoMM5 or Dark Messiah.

yea dark messiah was eh....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Are there any savegames/solutions for SpaceChem out? I'll be damned if I can get that achievement by myself before the sale ends...

Its pretty easy, actually, you shouldn't need any guides to get that far.

This pretty much sums me up trying to play SpaceCem.

funny-science-news-experiments-memes-dog-science-fuzzy-logic.jpg

I never was good at chemistry in school.
Don't think about it as a chemistry game. Its not, and you don't need to know any chemistry to play it. Its a puzzle game, pure and simple.

Nabs

I got that Meat Boy achievement for beating all the levels way back on December 16th, but now it says I didn't. Same for the Flight Control one. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to do these in advance. Now I have to decide whether I want to torture myself with the reverse Kid stage again.

I did the flight control one a while back and it registered fine. I'd just wait it out.

Caerith

Was hoping there'd be a 2k strategy pack like Amazon had (Civ 4 complete, Civ 5 GOTY, Stronghold collection: $15 total), but oh well.

Gotta admit, this sale has been disappointing. I know Valve doesn't set the prices, but it's weird that Amazon has been getting such amazing deals and Steam hasn't.

plc268

Dammit. Wish Driver SF was a little cheaper.

I might get it anyway though. Is it a good PC port? If not, I'll just find a used copy for the 360 instead.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How fucking cool is that!? The Level Server in Meat boy doesn't even work! I can't access the Xmas levels.

AHAHAHA!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This pretty much sums me up trying to play SpaceCem.

funny-science-news-experiments-memes-dog-science-fuzzy-logic.jpg

I never was good at chemistry in school.

Read this while playing the first level, for ANYONE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND SPACECHEM:

So you dont know what SpaceChem is about? Trust us, your fellow Gaffers, on this recommendation and grab the Demo. I'll teach you how to play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most basic premise is that you got a molecule as Input to the left side, and need to transform it so you can output it like you can see on the right.

In the first level, called "Of Pancakes and Spaceships" you got "O=O" as an Input and "O=O" as the output. How convenient! You dont even need to transform it, just find a way to transport it to the right side. We'll get to transforming later, also ignore the blue line at the bottom for now.

So whats left is the red "Start" and a circle around it. The Start indicated where that circle, called Waldo, is going to start. Big deal. However it doesnt do much, since you didnt gave it any orders yet. To solve this basic levels you need to know the 4 most basic structure with which you can program orders to Waldo:

Arrows: Those change the line Waldo is running on. Play around with giving Waldo different directions.

IN ALPHA:
The playing field is divided into 4 parts. A,B, Psi und W. A and B are on the left side, meaning those are the fields, where you will receive input. Psi and W are on the right, meaning you need to output there. If you put the IN ALPHA in the way of the red Waldo, you will get your INPUT into the ALPHA section of the playing field.

GRAB/DROB:
Now, if you only have the input done, your Waldo doesnt do much about the molecule that just appeared. Change the arrows so that Waldo is able to touch the Molecule that will appear, and put a GRAB/DROP there. This way he'll take the molecule and carry it with him. If you want to put it down, simply use another "GRAB/DROP" in the output zone.

OUT PSI: After you dropped the molecule in the output zone, you still need to tell the game that the output is ready. Looking through your tools, you'll see that the red Waldo got a tool for that. If you put it somewhere, the game will try to output all the molecules and atoms that you prepared in the corresponding output zone.

Now just make your Waldo running the same line again, and you are good to go :) Also take notice that you need to have the whole molecule inside the Output zone and not just a part of it.

Short:
Input Alpha, Grab, Drop, Output Psi

Congrats you solved the first level!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other tools, which werent used in this level but are still available are easily explained:

Rotate Molecule: Try it out yourself, put it on the Waldo line after it grabbed the "O=O", this will be used later to make your arrangements of atoms fitting to the molecule you want to produce

Sync: If the red and the blue Waldo both have a sync in their way, they'll stop at their respective sync, waiting for the other Waldo to reach theirs. This way you can easily make both lines run parallel if you need them to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else worth mentioning is the act of "Transforming" or Bonding/Unbonding, how its called in this game.

Imagine the "O=O" you got as input, but instead of having "O=O" as Output, you are required to output simply "O". For this you'll get in levels where you need them "Bonders". These are gray shades in the background that you can move around. You'll notice what I mean.

If you let your Waldo carry the "O=O" molecule to 2 Bonders, you can "unbond" them with the tool "Bond -" if both atoms are each over a Bonder. That would give you "O-O" for the moment. Since you'll need "O" however, either let it run through the bonders again, or make a second set up of bonders somewhere else. You'll figure this out on your own :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, hope that helps for starters!
Conveniently linked at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29010388&postcount=166 for future reference.

Scipius

Unless they won't get to it until the summer anyway.

Just putting the info out there, folks.

I normally wait for the GOTY version of any Bethesda game, as everyone should, but there's really no reason not to pick up FO:NV and the DLC now (or at the Autumn Sale, when it was 75% off as well). The GOTY version will start at full price and likely will not be discounted more than it is now for at least a year.

FO:NV being Steamworks means that the only additional thing the GOTY version will give you is a DVD case and a plastic disc for you to look at in case Steam is down . That's it.

Acidote

I was going to buy Dark Athena, but then...

Notice: After activating the game for a third time TAGES will start a 30-day timer. After 30 days you will get that activation back up to 3 total activations.

lol no

Anyone know if any of the Fallout: New Vegas DLC is worth getting? Thinking of finally pulling the trigger on a purchase but I've not really kept up to date with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom