• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelithe

So is the Steam version of the GTA Complete Pack (specifically for GTA IV) ok for those fancy mods?

The steam version has the latest patch (1.0.7.0 I believe) and ENBSeries requires 1.0.4.0 (well, anything v1.2 and older). There are newer releases of ENB that work for 1.0.7.0 but they have reduced graphical effects. They have released newer versions so I may be wrong, but as of v1.2 of ENBSeries, you'll need 1.0.4.0.

You can still revert the steam version to 1.0.4.0, but then you're essentially stripping the DRM (GFWL) and you'll have to run it without Steam. But I have tested this myself and I have a Steamless version downgraded to 1.0.40 with ENBSeries 1.2.

mrgone

Wow, I just noticed that they went with The Golden Gift for Super Meat Boy instead of The Kid's First Christmas. That's kind of a dick move. Low blow.

dLMN8R

I tried the SpaceChem demo months ago and I just couldn't understand what the tutorial was trying to get me to do. Tried the demo again today though and I fully got it right away - very cool game, and purchased :)

dLMN8R

Wow, I just noticed that they went with The Golden Gift for Super Meat Boy instead of The Kid's First Christmas. That's kind of a dick move. Low blow.

How is that either? That compiled list of achievements on the wiki isn't some official document, it's random guesses by fans for what they think will be included in the holiday sale.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm kind of glad I forgot about The Missing Link for Human Revolution, it's so damn good but I just did not want to spend $15 on it. I'm really struggling with not having any augs yet but it's a good struggle. The game's making me actually choose how to handle different situations outside of my comfort zone.

krYlon

Yeah, I guess.

Well I'll be more delicate then...if you love logic and/or programming, you will love SpaceChem.

I think if you love puzzle games then you should love SpaceChem, as all puzzle games are based on logic.

The only stumbling block is that the tutorial can be quite unhelpful and expects you to experiment and figure out a lot of stuff yourself.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think if you love puzzle games then you should love SpaceChem, as all puzzle games are based on logic.

I should think so.

Programmers, especially, should love it. It's basically a graphical programmer for creating molecular structures. It's even object oriented!

krYlon

I should think so.

Programmers, especially, should love it. It's basically a graphical programmer for creating molecular structures. It's even object oriented!

It reminds me of the node-based digital compositing program Nuke.

But more fun and with less bugs.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

I think the only problem with that line of thinking is often people hear "puzzle game" and think "I like Tetris!" It's a sit-and-think kind of logic puzzle that I just love but it can really turn some people off.

I'd suggest anybody interested try the demo (not the best demo but it'll give an idea) first.

EDIT: Oh and I just love the soundtrack.

krYlon

I think the only problem with that line of thinking is often people hear "puzzle game" and think "I like Tetris!" It's a sit-and-think kind of logic puzzle that I just love but it can really turn some people off.

I'd suggest anybody interested try the demo (not the best demo but it'll give an idea) first.

Yeah I guess people like different types of puzzle games.

I just really think the main reason people might be put off by it is the bad tutorial and maybe the simple presentation.

And yes the soundtrack is terrific

mrgone

How is that either? That compiled list of achievements on the wiki isn't some official document, it's random guesses by fans for what they think will be included in the holiday sale.

I was just commenting on how they added two achievements to the game for christmas, then used the un-fucking-believably difficult one for the Pile over the other. It's kind of twisted

oipic

C&C being on sale today has me thinking: I need a new RTS in my life, but I'm a bit out of touch with anything released in the past few years.

I take it from comments that Red Alert 3 is the pick of these, but how does it stack up against SupCom1/2 (which has caught my eye as well)? Is there anything else available on Steam that is a must-have instead in the RTS genre, given I'm likely to be playing offline and solo?

Cheers guys.

EDIT: oh, and if you're on the fence, buy SpaceChem and spend some time with it; enjoy fiddling about with it, and revel in the challenge and the journey of it all - the satisfaction you'll feel is almost unique in gaming, I reckon.

Fitz

C&C being on sale today has me thinking: I need a new RTS in my life, but I'm a bit out of touch with anything released in the past few years.

I take it from comments that Red Alert 3 is the pick of these, but how does it stack up against SupCom1/2 (which has caught my eye as well)? Is there anything else available on Steam that is a must-have instead in the RTS genre, given I'm likely to be playing offline and solo?

Cheers guys.

Anno 2070 and Shogun 2 are both amazing, Dawn of War 2 is also fantastic and worth checking out.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: oh, and if you're on the fence, buy SpaceChem and spend some time with it; enjoy fiddling about with it, and revel in the challenge and the journey of it all - the satisfaction you'll feel is almost unique in gaming, I reckon.

The Dawn of War II games are a good place to start.
edit: Oh yeah, Total War too. And Sins of a Solar Empire is a great hybrid 4x/RTS game if you're into that sort of thing.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
I think I recall reading somewhere that the Audiosurf achievement requires a black background. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it worked for me.

Artofwar420

Cheers guys.

A few years ago I was introduced to the first Dawn of War RTS games, they're pretty awesome still and I remember they had a fun story; this game started diverging from the traditional RTS mechanics, but you still had involved base and upgrade trees. The DOWII games are a bit more streamlined in the sense that base building is mostly non-existant, so you're managing even more focused squad units. A liking of the Warhammer 40K universe is not required, but if you do like it, then you'll have a blast.

Company of Heroes has probably one of the best campaigns of recent RTS games, gameplay is a mix between of DOW II and the first Dawn of War. Tactical, focused, polished RTS goodness. Those Relic people know their RTS games. (Space Marine turned out awesome too!)

Link Man

Banned
Thinking about getting Fallout: New Vegas, but I wanted to ask if it's a buggy mess. If so, are there any patches I should know about, or are the latest patches included in the steam version? $5 is a great price, but the game's only a year old, so I'm a bit wary.

Firestorm

Thinking about getting Fallout: New Vegas, but I wanted to ask if it's a buggy mess. If so, are there any patches I should know about, or are the latest patches included in the steam version? $5 is a great price, but the game's only a year old, so I'm a bit wary.

It's a Steamworks title. All patches are delivered via Steam so it's definitely up to date.

Diebuster

The Steam version is the only version of the game so any patches get downloaded automatically (if they're not already included in the initial download).

I'm nearing 200 hours of playtime and I haven't really run into any bugs worth mentioning. I do get crashes though usually only after hours of play. So it's not perfect, but it's nothing to fear either.

Excellent game by the way, well worth the $5.

BY2K

Membero Americo
SuperMeatBoy Team Meat
haha so turns out steam is using the wrong achievement for the holiday achievement.. The achievement you are going for is "the kids xmas"

SuperMeatBoy Team Meat
I guess since we submitted 2 new achievements in the last update the got mixed up. just emailed steam about this. when it rains it pours

Wooooooooow.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm thinking of picking up New Vegas for my winter break. Wondering if I should buy the prima strat guide package as well.

How does that work digitally? and is it any good? I did like having a guide for F3, but besides that I don't have any other reason to purchase it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can they switch the SMB achievement before tomorrow? How is Steam gonna explain it? And what about the people who already have the Golden Gift achievement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom