• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I just woke up and I think I'm done with achievements. I'll make ones I like and that is all. I got my FEAR pack, so that is ok.

zlatko

Banned
Considering Valve apparently used the wrong one, that's probably why it was a bit difficult. Team Meat Twitter already said they were supposed to use the one where you have to beat one of the levels.

:p

Ah okay. No chance they can patch it up before the end of tomorrow?

Beating all 5 of those in one sitting is just torture and not something I plan to do.

dLMN8R

Is anyone thinking last day (Jan. 2) will be the best Steam sales day? Yes?

Of course not. Every event like this they just rehash the most popular deal from the previous days of the sale.

So, well, "best" meaning they're the sales that were most successful for them, but not "best" for customers since most people who wanted those games probably already bought them.

zlatko

Banned
Booted up Sequence to try it, and ... well this game sucks to be honest.

Even after trying to calibrate controls, it's just not accurate enough and consistent enough when I'm hitting buttons or directions.

I even set the game to easy to see if it would be more lenient, but that isn't the case. Dialog was a bit eye roll worthy as well, so there's another achievement I'll pass on for today.

Volcynika

Even after trying to calibrate controls, it's just not accurate enough and consistent enough when I'm hitting buttons or directions.

I even set the game to easy to see if it would be more lenient, but that isn't the case. Dialog was a bit eye roll worthy as well, so there's another achievement I'll pass on for today.

Feep am cry.

Sarcasm

lol game runs fine for me! Maybe its your end.

Also you can literally skip tutorial and get cheevo in 5 minutes.

Am I allowed to say "FU" to Valve for giving me nothing but coals and coupons?

I was feeling a little bummed out too. Got plenty of coal and crafted twice and got 2 coupons. Just did the Team Fortress 2 Achievement and lo' and behold I got Left4Dead GOTY. Feelin' pretty good now.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

It has to be something on your end. I had no issue with the timing and what little I've played so far has been nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Fou-Lu

When I first played Sequence the controls felt a little off to me, but when I started listening to the music as much as watching the arrows it suddenly clicked. *shrug*

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ok GAF, need someone's help at this point. Steam will absolutely not accept my debit card info (it has worked all week), plenty of funds available, bank says no holds in place. I submitted a support ticket to Steam, but I'll be damned if it'll get answered by the time today's daily deals expire.

Will Steam honor the discount from the items in my cart if the problem processing the payment is on their end?

This shit had to happen on the one day I needed a ton of dailies.

I bought FO3 a few days ago, haven't even had time to start it yet. Should I also get NV?

I also got Oblivion a few weeks ago...should be enough open world RPG for a decade or so

You probably had the same problem I did. I suck at rhythm games.

oipic

Help please, Steam-GAF, I've never used Gamersgate before - would their Shogun 2 activate on Steam? It's only $7.50 there at the moment, as opposed to the 'sale' price of $45 on the Australian store.

I also have a poster on SPUF offering to trade it to me for my copy of Dirt 3, but still not sure which way to go.

(thanks to all for the RTS advice earlier - Shogun 2 takes my fancy, haven't played a Total War game since, like, the first one).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought FO3 a few days ago, haven't even had time to start it yet. Should I also get NV?

I also got Oblivion a few weeks ago...should be enough open world RPG for a decade or so

You should have waited on FO3 and Oblivion and spent that money on New Vegas instead. Bad move.

Chavelo

You should have waited on FO3 and Oblivion and spent that money on New Vegas instead. Bad move.

Here's a better question:

I got FO3, Oblivion AND New Vegas (only one I played is Skyrim).

Which one should I touch after that, huh? HUH? /chestbumps Snuggler

Xzior

I got a problem with Paypal, I can't make payments with the card I added. Yes it's verified with the stupid code. I'm not really keen on spending more money than necessary and therefore I'm wondering if any UK gaffer is about to buy for £39,99 or £18,99?

If so I could buy the games you want for £39,99 or £18,99, if possible due to the price difference between the UK and EU store, and you buy what I want. And then we just do a trade of goods and both be happy.

Talyn

It's probably a long shot by now but I'm still looking for a UK gaffer willing to gift me a copy of the GTA Complete Pack in exchange for £4.99 gifted via PayPal. (Payment sent in advance, of course.) Just add me on Steam and let me know where to send the money.

So any chance they fix the achievement for Super Meat Boy?

They said on their twitter that the holiday achievement was supposed to be the one where you complete one winter level, not 5 in a row. I did one but there is no way Im going to sit there and try to do 5 in a row. I just dont have the reflexes for it.

NBtoaster

Is Fallout 3 that different from New Vegas? I thought NV was a sequel or something :p

By a different dev. The gameplay is very similar, the main differences are in the world, quest and story designs.

Fallout 3 is better IMO. Your opinion will differ depending on what you look for in a rpg.

Fallout 3 has the Bethesda 'story' (read: retarded gibberish that makes 0 sense). New Vegas has an actual story.

And on the other hand, Fallout 3 has those traditional Bethesda bugs. New Vegas has that traditional Obsidian "doesnt work at all half of the time".

Edit: I would agree that NV does have a very solid story but I would put it around the same level as FO3. Not tons better like some would.

I should also note that I havent played it since release so for all I know the crippling bugs it had may have been fixed.

Sober

So any chance they fix the achievement for Super Meat Boy?

They said on their twitter that the holiday achievement was supposed to be the one where you complete one winter level, not 5 in a row. I did one but there is no way Im going to sit there and try to do 5 in a row. I just dont have the reflexes for it.
You can cheese the third level. It's up to Valve/Steam to fix it on time.

Is Fallout 3 that different from New Vegas? I thought NV was a sequel or something :p
NV was developed by Obsidian who (aside from their reputation for "BUGGY GAMES AMG PANIC" from the general public) have many of the original members who did the first two Fallout games. FNV plays much more like an RPG.

If you've played FO3 then the gameplay is the same (FPS + RPG + VATS) but less about being a god by the first 10 levels:

-perk rates were cut down (1 per 2 levels instead of 1 per level, also removed a lot of perks that gave you 15+ skill points per rank)
-they merged certain weapon skills to make more sense
-there is a proper crafting system (god bless the modders but the FO3 crafting mods are jank central/headache to navigate)
-weapons are rebalanced, so progression isn't shitty dart gun -> pistol -> shotgun -> plasma gun; you can specialize in regular guns or energy weapons (or both)
-you have to specialize at times since they tweaked skill point gains (i.e. you can't have 100 in every skill at level 30 like FO3)
-stimpacks are expensive (100 caps in FNV vs the ~20 in FO3)
-you can run into deathclaws if you go the wrong way from the starting area
-better written characters, story, world - actually ties to FO1 and FO2 instead of FO3 being off on it's own

yeb

I actually managed to get the Golden Gift achievement and got cheated. Made it through all 5 levels, saw the achievement pop up, backed out through the menus and exited the game... and Steam didn't recognize the achievement. I was so glad to be done with it that I couldn't even rage.

oipic

You can cheese the third level.

I am completely useless when it comes to SMB - I can't get anywhere near completing even that 'Sweater' level, for some reason. Bah, life's too short for that sort of frustration
but that blasted coal is a temptress

Like I said, I got one of the levels and the "The Kid's Xmas" achievement. Now its a matter of whether or not they change the incorrect achievement.

I guess it really doesnt matter in the long run. Its just going to be another coal anyway lol.

mojiimbo

That guy had 300 accounts and used Humble Bundle keys to legitimize them. I don't think there's any reason for regular users or even people with an extra account or two to worry.

OniShiro

Banned
Spent 30 minutes trying to get the Bit.Trip.Runner achievement and got Rock of Ages.

I'm happy after a bunch of ususeless coupons and Vegas make it big which I didn't care about finally got something good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom