• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Can they switch the SMB achievement before tomorrow? How is Steam gonna explain it? And what about the people who already have the Golden Gift achievement?

Steam has changed achievements before. Shouldn't be an issue. People who have the golden gift achievement have the other one as well.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Fuck these stupid coupons. 42 achievments and I got one measily game. Yeah I shouldn't complain about free stuff but when my mate gets 2 games with 6 achievments I am allowed to rage. At least give me Dota2 GABEEEEEE

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Fuck these stupid coupons. 42 achievments and I got one measily game. Yeah I shouldn't complain about free stuff but when my mate gets 2 games with 6 achievments I am allowed to rage. At least give me Dota2 GABEEEEEE

You should give me the free game then if you wanna rage. At least then you'd have something to rage about.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Can they switch the SMB achievement before tomorrow? How is Steam gonna explain it? And what about the people who already have the Golden Gift achievement?

If you've already got Golden Gift, then you've got The Kid's Xmas, so it wouldn't really matter (I mean, outside of the time you spent to get Golden Gift)

Blizzard

Banned
Today might be one of the most expensive days for me. Most days I wouldn't buy anything, or I would go to buy 3 games and find out I already owned them.

But today had the "I'll buy a lot of interesting-looking games as long as they're $2.50 or less" category, so I spent like $13. :O

Kuroyume

Banned
The Golden one is impossible (or close to it) without a controller.

Btw, is tomorrow the last set of achievements that will be revealed or are they doing a set on Jan 1 too?

Gav47

This has probably been mentioned before but one thing I've realised over the past week, with all this downloading of new games, is that Steam needs a more robust download manager. Having games refuse to stop or start downloading is so annoying and usually requires a restart to solve.
And why the hell can't I queue downloads, set bandwidth limits or setup a downloads schedule. If free/open source apps like uTorrent and SANnzbd can do why can't Steam (perhaps why won't they do it is the better question). Make it happen Gabe.

Blizzard

Banned
This has probably been mentioned before but one thing I've realised over the past week, with all this downloading of new games, is that Steam needs a more robust download manager. Having games refuse to stop or start downloading is so annoying and usually requires a restart to solve.
And why the hell can't I queue downloads, set bandwidth limits or setup a downloads schedule. If free/open source apps like uTorrent and SANnzbd can do why can't Steam (perhaps why won't they do it is the better question). Make it happen Gabe.
It took them what, 3 years to add the Ctrl-F find box to the web browser/client thingy? I feel like when there isn't much competition or incentive for them to improve it they don't change much. :p

Ryaaan14

Banned
What the hell man...does anyone ever have issues with Steam accepting their credit card?

It did this before, it says declined but I have a lot of money in there at the moment. Just got off the phone with my bank and there is no hold on the card or anything.

SHIT.

Caerith

I somehow got a coupon for -75% Aliens vs Predator, which defies expectations in being actually useful. Seeing the coupons everyone else is getting (and the other coupon I've gotten), I'm actually kinda glad most of my presents have been coal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This has probably been mentioned before but one thing I've realised over the past week, with all this downloading of new games, is that Steam needs a more robust download manager.

I totally agree.

I think they mentioned that this kind of stuff would come once they transitioned downloads over to the new content system. Before they used some proprietary system, now it seems to be pretty much standard HTTP stuff. They mentioned that they switched over in order to improve peering and work with CDN partners worldwide. I'm not sure if they committed to download schedules in specific, but I know this is an area of focus for them.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably been mentioned before but one thing I've realised over the past week, with all this downloading of new games, is that Steam needs a more robust download manager.

Listen to this man Valve!

Just got the Spacechem achievement and my prize was 50% off Spacechem, game is fun as hell though so I don't mind.

These really should have come with gabetrollface.jpg attached to them.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Alright so this is what I think I'm gunna get...

New Vegas w/ Strat Guide
Couriers Stash
Lonesome Road

Volcynika

I wanna recommend a game! Defy Gravity Extended.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/96100/

header_292x136.jpg

This was on XBL Indie Games and made the transition over to Steam. It came out at a cheap price and so I picked it up.

It's a sidescroller puzzler game where you're trying to navigate areas with your special gun that creates two types of gravity orbs. One repels you, and the other attracts you. The interesting part is that you have a limit as to how many of each gravity orb you can fire while you're in the air, you have to touch the ground to 'recharge' or some such. The puzzles start out pretty simple, and then the game goes bananas and throws some crazy stuff at you. A 360 controller is fully supported, you can use a custom soundtrack, and there's even a second quest mode which lets you think of new stuff because
you're only limited to one type of gravity orb.
I think it's an enjoyable puzzler, though I'm currently stuck at a level trying to figure out how to approach it. My brother got to the second quest, he says it's pretty crazy.

It's only $1.35 USD during the sale so the barrier of entry is pretty low. Hope someone else tries it out, not many people on my friends list have tried it (or maybe they did on XBLIG).

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Alright so this is what I think I'm gunna get...

New Vegas w/ Strat Guide
Couriers Stash
Lonesome Road

I would go with Old World Blues over Lonesome Road if you can only do one for now. OWB isn't just the best of the four DLCs, it's also the meatiest. Tons of content.

Fou-Lu

I'm wondering whether to get the New Vegas DLCs while they're cheap... Just got a free copy of New Vegas today. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll even be able to play through it after Skyrim. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I know I could never replay it after Skyrim. Sure the genres are different, but the gameplay is intensely similar.

Big-E

Crafted my first set of coal and got Storm: Frontline Nation. Metacritc is at 60 which doesn't tell me anything. Anyone have any idea what it is like?

ShaneB

I'm wondering whether to get the New Vegas DLCs while they're cheap... Just got a free copy of New Vegas today. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll even be able to play through it after Skyrim. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I know I could never replay it after Skyrim. Sure the genres are different, but the gameplay is intensely similar.

This is my situation as well. I only just started playing Fallout 3 and I'm loving it, and I figured I'd buy New Vegas at 5 bucks, but do I really need to get any of the dlc right now?

zlatko

Banned
I feel bad for anyone attempting the Super Meatboy achievement. It's 100% not worth your time. Level 2 and 4 are stupid fucking hard so why even bother? Oh yeah rage + a few hours of trial and error for a -10% off shit coupon I'll never use isn't my idea of a good time.

Really the worst achievement on the whole list this entire sale.

I played Skyrim pretty much vanilla, but I'm planning to run New Vegas on hardcore mode with a bunch of mods. The gameplay systems are similar, but I expect that making New Vegas much more survival-focused will be a significantly different experience.

If you're on the fence, though, you might as well hold out... I'm sure that DLC is going to be on sale again in the next few months.

Volcynika

I feel bad for anyone attempting the Super Meatboy achievement. It's 100% not worth your time. Level 2 and 4 are stupid fucking hard so why even bother? Oh yeah rage + a few hours of trial and error for a -10% off shit coupon I'll never use isn't my idea of a good time.

Really the worst achievement on the whole list this entire sale.

Considering Valve apparently used the wrong one, that's probably why it was a bit difficult. Team Meat Twitter already said they were supposed to use the one where you have to beat one of the levels.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom