• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My total damage so far: £34.82

Bought:
Bastion
Sonic Generations
Rock of Ages
Batman: AA GOTY
Audiosurf
Back to the Future Series
Defense Grid
Swords and Soldiers
Psychonauts
Orcs Must Die & DLC
E.Y.E
Binding of Issac
Puzzle Agent 1
Puzzle Agent 2

Won:
Devil May Cry 3 (Gifted)
Counter Strike Source (Gifted)
Saw
Oddworld Bundle
Journey/Dreamfall Bundle
Portal 2 x2

Received:
Renegade Ops
Flatout
Sequence

That's pretty good for 27 games overall.

And what do you think your odds of winning the wishlist or grand prize are? Those odds are horrible*. Only difference with crafting is: Crafting is a lot easier to win and your failures are shown with feedback instead of silence.

*I realize my position as Neogaf resident scrooge on odds was severely undercut when I won my Top 10 wishlist on Dec. 16th, but the point remains. The odds are horrible and you're better off buying a pick 4 lottery ticket because it's a lot easier to win that. Craft that shit. If you can't get something good from that, you really think you're lucky enough to win something astronomically more difficult?

This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him. EVERYONE
but me
CRAFT ALL YOUR COAL.

But, no, seriously. Think of all the people in the steam winter group. That's a lot. Assume they each have one coal. That's low-ballin' it considerably, obviously. I have 74. Granted, I've gone for every cheesemint I could, and am only missing three, and I made a few trades to get me this high. But even if everyone only had one coal, your odds would STILL be ridiculously low.

There's no point in keeping the coal. I will be crafting all mine tomorrow if no one wants to trade by then.

ElRenoRaven

Who cares what they made or didn't make. It's a store contest. If I ran a store, and I decided to run a Christmas contest with the games I was selling, I can do whatever I want. It's not lame at all. You know what's lame? The Xmas maps for SMB. :p

Gotta agree with duckroll on this. It's valves contest/giveaway. They get to decide what counts and don't. And the SMB maps really were bullshit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel a little bad for actually doing decent with the achievements. 8 coal, five coupons, and I got two actual games and two gift copies of games.

Sober

Grid is more track racing with sports cars rather than rally cars which DIRT is all about, it's a fantastic game and probably one of the best racing games of this generation.
GRID MP is dead though right? IIRC from the previous times it's been on sales.

Something is screwy about the vouchers today. I did 4 of today's achievements and got 2 coal, 33% and 25% off Valve. I already had 50% of Valve so I was disappointed. Then my girlfriend does some achievements and gets 50%, 2 33%, and 25% of Valve. That can't be just a weird coincidence.

Island

Thats crappy... was looking to combine todays sales with yesterdays so only one transaction would be done on my CC.

Looks like Deus Ex when up in price before the extended time ended. All the other sales from yesterday are still active just not Deus Ex.

Oh well.. not my loss...

MRORANGE

Still looking for an UK gaffer willing to gift me the GTA Complete Pack for £4.99 paid in advance via Paypal. Steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/talon2099 Add or PM me to arrange payment,

pm one of the guys listed in gifting in the OP:

aAZSp.png

this is a list of people who are willing to help out with cross-region gifting for bigger savings. If you want
to help out, just send me a pm here and I will add you to the list.

please make sure that any paypal transfers are marked as gifts, so the correct amount is given,
also watch out for paypal fees, this website will help you calculate them: http://thefeecalculator.com/

Region: North America

Xeno_Flux2113 (send paypal funds first)
graywolf323 (send paypal funds first)
wilflare (except EA games.)
Cloudius12
HP_Wuvcraft (no more than $14)
xelios (send paypal funds first)
Relax.MX (except EA games.)
FloppyDelux
Chavelo
I H8 Memes (send paypal funds first)

Region: Europe / Uk

confused
Gav47
UnluckyKate
Corto
Dambrosi (send paypal funds first)
Stop It (away 24th-27th)
Stupacabra

Region: Australia

3chopl0x
Planet_JASE

Region: South America

Kerrinck (Rockstar games)
SalsaShark

Sianos

Thats crappy... was looking to combine todays sales with yesterdays so only one transaction would be done on my CC.

Looks like Deus Ex when up in price before the extended time ended. All the other sales from yesterday are still active just not Deus Ex.

Oh well.. not my loss...

Amazon has (or had?) it for only 10 dollars, so check there.

Picked up The Hunted: Demon's Forge, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, Hoard, and double dipped on Trine today. I'm a little disappointed there wasn't any discount or sale for Anno 2070 at all. Maybe next time!

I still have about 3-6 achievements I need to get and then I'll post my results and all my pickups. I got a lot of things that I wanted on sale and had fun with the holiday objectives so it was pretty good sale for me overall.

So today is the last day of new deals, right? Tomorrow should be a repeat of the "best of games" from previous days?

If so, any UKers want to do a Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition bundle? If we chip in for a 4 pack, we can get the game at £9.37 each vs £12.49 for a single copy. Any UKers interested?

Jasoco

Banned
So BioShock has a native OS X version, but not on Steam? WTF? How does the Windows version run on a MacBook Air? Both games. They sure take up a lot of drive space.

I wish I could set specific games to install to different hard drives. I only have 128 internal, but would love to have larger games stored on an external drive but still let me run Steam and play the ones currently internal if I don't have my drive with me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think any CS:GO vouchers were in the competition. I was in the beta before this started, I only go the Dota 2 one from the coal game.

and JaseC, I've not seen the Gun Game option anywhere. I've not really gone thru everything though, for example I've only seen Dust and Dust 2, but on the game hosting menu it says there are three maps.

It's fun, but it's does still feel very much like a beta, where as Dota 2 is just a game with a less than stunning hero count, otherwise it feels final to me. I'm sure the people deep into it might disagree with specific areas, but generally it's very polished. Again though, I've not played much of that either. Not performance reasons, it runs beautifully, but I need more of my friends to get in so I have people to play with really.

Boo. :( I was hoping it'd be included.

Edit: Clarity.

kai3345

Banned
So including Purchases, Trades and Prizes, I leave this sale with:

Alice: Madness Returns
Audiosurf
Avadon
Bastion
Costume Quest
Dino D-Day
DOTA 2
Drakensang
Dredmor DLC
Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road
Greed Corp
Monday Night Combat
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Trine 2
Universe Sandbox

Pretty good haul if I do say so myself

Aside from Universe Sandbox, I've enjoyed pretty much everything

inky

I can't really complain about not getting games, I mean, games I've got from gits/crafting:

Orange Box - traded
Binding of Isaac - traded
Steel Storm - gifted
Day of Defeat Source - kept
Mount & Blade F&S - still got
Silent Hill - gifted
The Witcher EE - gifted
Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops - still got
Mata Hari - still got

It's just there's nothing in there I really wanted or I didn't have already. I would've changed all of that stuff for 1 good game, only 1. -.-'

fake edit: I'll post my haul later on...

Wow Rochard is pretty great at least from what I played in the demo. Had to buy it and the soundtrack really fun music. If it wasn't for this steam sale I probably would of never bought it either. I seem to recall a passing mention of it on a podcast one time a while back but it didn't stick with me. I really hope they get big numbers from this sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I estimate that I've spent at least $125 on what I've dubbed "coal games". The only one I haven't bought is Game of Thrones.

Is there a big enough difference between the Heroes of Might and Magic games and the King's Bounty games to make me want to buy Heroes of Might and Magic V?

I'm just asking because I've put hundreds of hours into the King's Bounty games, and I don't think I'd be able to handle basically the same game again.

So including Purchases, Trades and Prizes, I leave this sale with:

Alice: Madness Returns
Audiosurf
Avadon
Bastion
Costume Quest
Dino D-Day
DOTA 2
Drakensang
Dredmor DLC
Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road
Greed Corp