• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

wtf is this shit? Norton keeps trying to tell me the la noire exe is a trojan and removing it. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

Many people would tell you that Norton is actually correct, but in a figurative rather than literal manner.

The M.O.B

Serious Sam 3 is amazing. In fact, it's the best FPS this year, and I'd put it behind Episode Two as the best such game this generation.

I haven't finished it, though, which is why it's not listed in my GoTY vote post.

Tis pretty amazing, different from past SS games but manages to have the Best FPS gameplay this year easily.

Also, add me to the list of people getting Valve coupons almost exclusively now.

Guess all the games ran out, would be better just saving your coal to win the GRAND PRIZE!

1) not confirmed whether or not they stack
2) I OWN ALL VALVE GAMES ALREADY. This coupon doesn't work for releases after Jan 2.

FUCK

I know, I was being sarcastic, which is admittedly being unhelpful and unsympathetic but then I pretty much just did the same thing as you and am in the same boat. These coupons wouldn't be such ass if they weren't restricted to games released BEFORE January 2nd and didn't expire so quickly.

I don't think I've ever seen you post anything but questions.

The answer is, tomorrow is most likely going to be sales recaps, if every other sale has been an indication. That does not preclude Valve doing something different this sale.

Try validating your local files. Right click on the game in your library, properties, local files, verify integrity of local cache.

Well i am new and this is my first year to Steam and PC.

I promise I won't quote anyone regarding that anymore (no I'm not joking this time). But I thought the sheer idiocy of asking for bundles worth a damn lot of money to be enough to make it obivous that it was a joke. Hell I even threw in a LOL in the mix, but apparently the internet is dumber than that.

Yes that second qoute was an edit since I didn't see that one before I made the post and I though, well ok I'll qoute that to. Sorry about that, please enlighten me on proper internet forum quoting etiquette, clearly I'm lacking the fundamental skills in this serious matter.

Dont worry about it man people get worked up over dumb stuff. You obviously werent trying to fuck anyone over.

Its silly.

Derrick01

Banned
Many people would tell you that Norton is actually correct, but in a figurative rather than literal manner.

lol yeah I get that, it's not popular here and from the little I played on PS3 it did kinda suck but for this price I figured why not.

But it should be safe right? Can't imagine steam would be downloading viruses to my computer. Malwarebytes isn't picking anything up so I'm guessing it's just Norton being weird.

Volcynika

Of course. But you're not 100% it's going to be new and not a recap. Are you. The fact there's no mention of achievements tomorrow makes me think it's recap day.

I didn't say anything about new or recap. Though people keep asking if there will be deals at all tomorrow. :p

(I don't care if it's new or repeats. honestly!)

It's a quite fun game, but I had to disable the music. Ugh.

I don't remember hearing any music, did the Treasure mode for the objective.

1-D_FTW

Tis pretty amazing, different from past SS games but manages to have the Best FPS gameplay this year easily.

Also, add me to the list of people getting Valve coupons almost exclusively now.

Guess all the games ran out, would be better just saving your coal to win the GRAND PRIZE!

That's the one reason to not craft. It really does seem nobody is getting anything else. Got 3 coal and a Valve coupon. Then crafted my remaining 7 coal into another Valve coupon. If nobody is getting anything else, it really is a waste (no matter how bad the lottery odds are).

But it should be safe right? Can't imagine steam would be downloading viruses to my computer. Malwarebytes isn't picking anything up so I'm guessing it's just Norton being weird.

I'm sure it's just a false-positive from Norton. It's not that uncommon. AV scanners sometimes flag our company's software as malware from time to time.

Card Boy

Banned
My math could be wrong but that 39.99 Heroes pack is a rip off. It doesn't even include the Clash of Heroes I am the Boss DLC.

Get this

vdzqD.png

+ Heroes 6 + Clash of Heroes + DLC = $38.96 (and this way it includes the I am the boss DLC)

Hellish

Is there anything not found in the GTA Complete pack that is found in GTA IV: Complete Edition?

In other words are there any bonuses in the complete edition that aren't in the invidual games in complete pack? or any reason to get complete edition over complete pack?

It is the completely disparate experience I have with you and other multiple game winners that is quite annoying. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to someone winning multiple titles and others, like myself, who get 30+ achievements, craft all their coals, and never win a thing.

Give me the Steam Summer Camp "camp activities" any day of the week over this crap. At least I had something concrete that I could work towards with achievements and then could win, giving me some sense of satisfaction. Even getting Bad Rats would be SOMETHING.
I concur, despite getting Flatout (pointless; I own the sequel) and Amnesia (former crafting, latter daily achievement). Probability (or getting lucky) is nowhere near as fun as earning the stuff. Though the problem I had with Summer was I ended up completing more objectives than there were gifts I wanted (which would be more of a problem if you kept on top of your DLC).

I also didn't like the "fake" achievements thrown in as red herrings. I played Bit.Trip Runner for nothing (no I didn't get to level 3-7 or whatever the last one was).

Derrick01

Banned
I'm sure it's just a false-positive from Norton. It's not that uncommon. AV scanners sometimes flag our company's software as malware from time to time.

Yeah I did some googling and even rockstar noted that norton was having issues with the game and that they were looking into it.

Of course that was on November 8th or so and here we are nearly 2 months later....

PaulLFC

ShopTo are selling Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £6.85 (standard) or £9.85 (augmented edition). They are download codes which they email you as soon as you order. I pre-ordered Football Manager 2012 this way from them and the code was in my account the day before release.

Can't link as they were banned a long while ago when their payment provider got hacked. They fixed that (moved to a different payment provider and started offering Paypal) and have been fine for a long time. I've ordered many times since from them without problems, as have many people in the Cheap Arse Gaffer thread.

Yeah, much preferred the Summer Camp sale. You could see the rewards and decide which ones you wanted to buy. This 'random' gift factor was terrible. 57 achievements unlocked and all I've won is coal and vouchers (and vouchers from coal I crafted). Yet, you see people (who I assume have abused humble bundle) with inventories full of games... man. I'm jealous and bitter, and I don't really feel totally in love with Steam right now.

mxgt

Banned
Total of £9.97 spent

Dead Space 2
Hard Reset
Jamestown

I'm actually quite astonished at my self control from mass spending. I spent over £100 in the summer sale and haven't played 90% of it, so I learned my lesson.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Total damages:

Puzzle Agent 2
Puzzle Agent
Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ)
Sequence
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Humble Indie Bundle 4 Extra Bonus
X3 Terran War - X3TC and X3AP Bundle
Atom Zombie Smasher
Renegade Ops + DLC Retail
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
The Polynomial
Torchlight
Defense Grid: The Awakening DLC: You Monster!
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Psychonauts
Orcs Must Die!
Trine
Portal 2

To a grand total of: $47.97

A little more than I wanted to spend but overall, not bad at all.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
$49.19 for 25 games. Stayed within my budget of $50 and got some stuff I really wanted. Now to fix my gaming PC so I can actually play the games I bought!

Fou-Lu

I've spent $350 on steam during this winter sale... That is including Christmas gifts at least...

About half of that was on myself...

Volcynika

Hm, what be my haul/damage so far...

Purchases for me

AI War Bundle
Guardians of Graxia
Defense Grid: The Awakening DLC: You Monster!
Sherlock Holmes Collection
Defcon
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem
Avadon
Skydrift
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy - Four Pack
Fate of the World
Wings of Prey
Jamestown Gunpower DLC + Soundtrack
Nuclear Dawn
Dungeon Defenders Turkey Hunt DLC + Lost Eternia Shards Complete DLC
Day of Defeat: Source
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Puzzle Agent 2
Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC
Xotic
Demolition, Inc.
Alice: Madness Returns
HOARD + DLC
Bunch of Heroes 4-pack
Cargo! Quest for Gravity

Gifts Sent to Others

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (x2)
Chantelise
Orcs Must Die (x2)
Orcs Must Die DLC
Space Channel 5 Pt. 2
Syberia
Syberia 2
Nuclear Dawn
The Cursed Crusade
Trine 2 (x2)
BulletStorm (x2)
Defy Gravity
Dead Island
Alice: Madness Returns

Gifts Sent to Me

Hard Reset
Bulletstorm
Sideway
F.E.A.R. 3
Hunted: The Demon Forge
Solar 2
Star Wars: Republic Commando
AAAAA! For the Awesome
Satazius
Rochard
Earth Defense Force: Armageddon

Total Spent: $247.50

Still got some gifts to send out too!

Fou-Lu

Aw man I am really on the fence about LA Noire. I find the facial stuff a bit creppy und uncanny, but I LOVE the setting.

If you love the setting than buy it. The game captures it PERFECTLY.

One of my GOTYs even if it is a little glitchy and unpolished. Then again, I'm one of the few people that really liked it, so... *shrug*

I wonder what happened with that guy that I convinced to buy Fable 3? I still stand by it being a good game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuck I can't believe crafting is now pointless. I intended to craft everything on the final day after I had gotten all the coals i could from achievements.

But if it's just all valve coupons and the coupons don't stack .. There's really no point.

I can only imagine the coals will actually vanish from your inventory after the sale ends, So you either get pointless valve coupons or nothing? :/

cicero

Whatever happened to the Gundemonium collection? I never saw it pop up as a deal during this Holiday sale but all three of the games had achievements listed on the Great Gift Pile achievement sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom