• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

First rule of the Steam Holiday Sale 2011:
Do not craft your coal.
Second rule of the Steam Holiday Sale 2011:
Do NOT CRAFT your COAL.
Third rule of the Steam Holiday Sale 2011:
Wait for the daily deals.

It does from January 2nd, 2012 through March 1st, 2012.

I disagree with your 2nd rule. I and several of my friends have crafted shitty coupons from coal but we also crafted at least 1 game. For something that cost me nothing except a small time investment, it was worth crafting.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
You mean people don't want to trade dollars for coal? Or want more shitty coupons? Shocking.

It's more shocking people don't realize this and embarrass themselves by asking for *insert expensive game here* in exchange for some blue coupons or 3 coal.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
fuckyousteamt46qz.png

The -50% M:TG 2012 coupon was crafted. As equally useless as the rest of its peers.

What UI is this? I like it.

oh

welp

I guess I will just miss out on exactly three cheesemints. Space Marine, Game of Thrones, and Super Meat Boy. I don't own the first two games. (I regret not buying Space Marine, but I didn't have the funds at the time. Now I do. ;_;)

I disagree with your 2nd rule. I and several of my friends have crafted shitty coupons from coal but we also crafted at least 1 game. For something that cost me nothing except a small time investment, it was worth crafting.

Yeah, crafting coal definitely seems worth the risk considering how much smaller your chance is of actually winning the grand prize.

I have 74. Nobody wants it for the games I want. ):

The chance to get a good coupon or a game from crafting is like <20%. And the game you get is most likely a max 7 bucks game you don't want/need.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I just won Far Cry 2 GOTY. Not sure I'm going to keep it. I already have Stalker CS and Crysis pack which to me are similar styles of gameplay. Should I hang on to it or just trade it and play those I mentioned?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just won Far Cry 2 GOTY. Not sure I'm going to keep it. I already have Stalker CS and Crysis pack which to me are similar styles of gameplay. Should I hang on to it or just trade it and play those I mentioned?

It's not nearly as good as Stalker or Crysis, but I think it's worth playing. The environments are really pretty and much different than what you'll see in Stalker and Crysis. I'd trade you Half Life 2: episode 1 for it, but you probably already have that.

Neiteio

Wow, LA Noire for that price has to be worth it, right? The atmosphere, period piece detail, writing and facial animations alone should be worth it. Plus I'm a Heavy Rain fan and get somewhat of a similar vibe from what I've seen (though I know the gameplay is different).

Also thinking about GRID and Rochard -- any thoughts? Is GRID different from DIRT3, because I already have DIRT3 and don't want two similar racing games. And anything anyone can tell me about Rochard would be appreciated.

MRORANGE

Also thinking about GRID and Rochard -- any thoughts? Is GRID different from DIRT3, because I already have DIRT3 and don't want two similar racing games. And anything anyone can tell me about Rochard would be appreciated.

Grid is more track racing with sports cars rather than rally cars which DIRT is all about, it's a fantastic game and probably one of the best racing games of this generation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PixelVision. I'd link you to the SPUF thread, but the forums appear to be down.

Edit: And they're back. Links to the latest version can be found here.

Excellent. I just installed it and it looks nice. A little darker too which is good for my night gaming.

StuBurns

Banned
wtf people are winning Dota 2 and CS GO beta's!? How is this a just world.

I don't think any CS:GO vouchers were in the competition. I was in the beta before this started, I only go the Dota 2 one from the coal game.

and JaseC, I've not seen the Gun Game option anywhere. I've not really gone thru everything though, for example I've only seen Dust and Dust 2, but on the game hosting menu it says there are three maps.

It's fun, but it's does still feel very much like a beta, where as Dota 2 is just a game with a less than stunning hero count, otherwise it feels final to me. I'm sure the people deep into it might disagree with specific areas, but generally it's very polished. Again though, I've not played much of that either. Not performance reasons, it runs beautifully, but I need more of my friends to get in so I have people to play with really.

1-D_FTW

The chance to get a good coupon or a game from crafting is like <20%. And the game you get is most likely a max 7 bucks game you don't want/need.

And what do you think your odds of winning the wishlist or grand prize are? Those odds are horrible*. Only difference with crafting is: Crafting is a lot easier to win and your failures are shown with feedback instead of silence.

*I realize my position as Neogaf resident scrooge on odds was severely undercut when I won my Top 10 wishlist on Dec. 16th, but the point remains. The odds are horrible and you're better off buying a pick 4 lottery ticket because it's a lot easier to win that. Craft that shit. If you can't get something good from that, you really think you're lucky enough to win something astronomically more difficult?

duckroll

It's kind of lame to ignore someone's wishes if you ask me. I mean, they didn't make Super Meat Boy.

Who cares what they made or didn't make. It's a store contest. If I ran a store, and I decided to run a Christmas contest with the games I was selling, I can do whatever I want. It's not lame at all. You know what's lame? The Xmas maps for SMB. :p

Popeck

Rochard is a fun game with great music. Isn't there a demo up on Steam? Anyway, just listen to this.

Bah the gift grab achievements won't activate for me. Got them before their day, appears I have to download them again after deleting them. Poo.

Wazzim

Banned
€50.16 spent on

Scenario Pack - Ancient Wonders,
Civ and Scenario Pack - Korea
Grand Theft Auto III,
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City,
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas,
Grand Theft Auto,
Grand Theft Auto 2,
Grand Theft Auto IV,
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.
Tomb Raider: Legend,
Tomb Raider: Anniversary,
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light,
LCGOL CostumePack1,
Tomb Raider: Underworld.
X3: Terran Conflict,
X3: Albion Prelude.
Audiosurf
Hard Reset
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

PaulLFC

Couple of questions:

- What's Heroes V like? I could just get Dark Messiah, or I could get the pack for a couple of quid more with Heroes V and its expansions.

- How does L.A. Noire run? The recommended specs seem a little ridiculous (8 gigs of RAM?!) - I have 4gb, I assume it'd run alright on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom