• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, which M&M game should I get? What's the general consensus?

Gmdxe.jpg

inky

Someone in the Trade thread just asked for the entire Bethesda Holiday Collection.

My God.

It's full of stars.

Hey man, he's got a golden coupon. I'd give like, every game on Steam for one!

There have been a couple of guys with golden coupons asking for $10-$20 games. I mean, do they understand what they are asking for? LOL

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I did some gifting, but I only bought a couple games for myself during this sale. I made the rookie mistake of buying a bunch of new games throughout the holiday season, and because of that I haven't felt the need to pad my library much.

Purchases for myself: Modern Warfare 3 ($35). Bought it from Amazon, that's a pretty expensive purchase but considering how Activision prices the series, that's as cheap as it'll get for a long time. The only other game I bought for myself was Prototype ($7.50). I've played a few hours, it seems pretty fun, I like that you can wall run up skyscrapers.

Gifted to me: Jamestown (coal trade), From Dust (Thanks Corto), DXHR: the missing link (Thanks Shintoki!), Hard Reset (Thanks SmokyDave), Puzzle Agent 2 (Thanks Wilfare), BC: Rearmed (Thanks MRORANGE) and E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy (Fuck...I can't remember who gifted me this. Sorry).

If it wasn't for the kindness of several GAFFers, I wouldn't have got much out of this sale. Thanks guys!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Really wishing I had seen that LA Noire PC thread before purchasing. Chances are I'll wait to see if they patch in better performance before I install it.

JaseC

The peanut version is apparently sold out... Any other suggestions?

They all end up the same colour in the end. I did buy Dark Messiah earlier, though, and from what I've read it falls within "Not bad, but not great" territory. Plus, it's cheap as chips.

Edit: Also, it's a (relatively old) Source game, so it'll run just fine on anything that isn't a calculator.

cicero

And what do you think your odds of winning the wishlist or grand prize are? Those odds are horrible*. Only difference with crafting is: Crafting is a lot easier to win and your failures are shown with feedback instead of silence.

*I realize my position as Neogaf resident scrooge on odds was severely undercut when I won my Top 10 wishlist on Dec. 16th, but the point remains. The odds are horrible and you're better off buying a pick 4 lottery ticket because it's a lot easier to win that. Craft that shit. If you can't get something good from that, you really think you're lucky enough to win something astronomically more difficult?
It's like a Vanderbuilt heir throwing rocks with investment portfolio management advice attached at the peons from their vast estate on top of a hill overlooking the slums.

Artofwar420

Totally, Pixelvision is the first Steam skin that didn't feel like a novelty and I didn't delete after a day or two. It's freaking slick.

Minsc

Gold Member
So, which M&M game should I get? What's the general consensus?

Tribes of the East + Clash of Heroes for the best bang for the buck from those choices (you could pick up everything but VI and still be under the cost of VI alone). If you like TotE's campaign after 2-3 levels you may want to put it on hold and pick up the earlier games too (TotE is the 2nd expansion), starting there. VI just seems very overpriced next to V, at 10x the price. It's buggier and lacking right now. That's not to say it's not enjoyable, people here love it, but there's a lot more work to be done on VI. The best thing is to pick up Clash of Heroes from Steam and HoM&M III off GOG if you haven't played it yet, as III > *. I haven't played Dark Messiah yet, mainly because it is not a strategy game and it didn't review favorably, but will at some point.

Zimbardo

so today is the last day of daily deals right?

or is that tomorrow? or is tomorrow a recap of top sellers like they did with other sales?

Gileadxv

Banned
All of my achievements were either coal or coupons, and all my coal crafting coupons. The only game I received was HL2 on the first day of the sale (it was waiting in my inventory when the contest began). However, I can't complain, I was able to pick up some really great games at amazing prices. Overall, a terrific sale between both Steam and Amazon (and a special mention to GetGamesGo.com for their amazing sale on Serious Sam 3!)!

cicero

My total damage so far: £34.82

Won:
Devil May Cry 3 (Gifted)
Counter Strike Source (Gifted)
Saw
Oddworld Bundle
Journey/Dreamfall Bundle
Portal 2 x2

It is the completely disparate experience I have with you and other multiple game winners that is quite annoying. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to someone winning multiple titles and others, like myself, who get 30+ achievements, craft all their coals, and never win a thing.

Give me the Steam Summer Camp "camp activities" any day of the week over this crap. At least I had something concrete that I could work towards with achievements and then could win, giving me some sense of satisfaction. Even getting Bad Rats would be SOMETHING.

JaseC

Serious Sam 3 is amazing. In fact, it's the best FPS this year, and I'd put it behind Episode Two as the best such game this generation.

I haven't finished it, though, which is why it's not listed in my GoTY vote post.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What I bought for myself, Yes I continue to spoil myself.
-Saints Row III + DLC: 23$
-Dues Ex Missing Link: 3$
-Swords and Soldiers: 2.50$
-Dead Island: 13$
-Hard Reset: 5$
-EYE: 2.50$
-Rock of Ages: 2.50$
-Alien vs Predator 2010: 3$
-Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory(I didn't want to install Starforce this time on my new PC)
-Prince of Persia 2008: I really do love the title regardless of shallow mechanics
-Traded 6$ in games, was only 4.75 but I threw in a bit extra for Hunted:Demon Forged.

Gifted the following
-Bulletstorm:5$
-Deus Ex Missing Link(4x):25$
-Dungeons Dark Lord: 10$
-Half Life 2:Free
-Humble Indie Bundles 1,2,3,4: Only paid an additional 2$ for 4.
-Deus Ex human Revolution:10$
-Alice:Return to Madness: 7.50$
-And one other thing I'm forgetting

Traded for
-Darksiders:Coal
-Day of Defeat:Source: Coal
-Zeno Clash:Limbo
-The Void: Coal, and he kind of just didn't want the game it seemed at all.

<3<3<3Got <3<3<3

-Bulletstorm:Xelios loves me 5$ more + he gave me an extra copy of Witcher:EE. No more retail for me.
-Puzzle Agent+Psychonauts: Wilfare. Though Puzzle agent made me feel really guilty.

I like getting things, even though I'm a bitch about accepting it. Lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to boot up Skyrim and I'm getting the following message:

"The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

What the fuck is this shit?

Is tomorrow a new set of deals or the recap? When do we stop waiting on daily deals?

I don't think I've ever seen you post anything but questions.

The answer is, tomorrow is most likely going to be sales recaps, if every other sale has been an indication. That does not preclude Valve doing something different this sale.

Trying to boot up Skyrim and I'm getting the following message:

"The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

What the fuck is this shit?

Try validating your local files. Right click on the game in your library, properties, local files, verify integrity of local cache.

Derrick01

Banned
wtf is this shit? Norton keeps trying to tell me the la noire exe is a trojan and removing it. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

Xzior

It doesn't help your case if you go around quoting everyone that commented on it (and that second quote was an edit, even) and then whining that you were not serious.

I promise I won't quote anyone regarding that anymore (no I'm not joking this time). But I thought the sheer idiocy of asking for bundles worth a damn lot of money to be enough to make it obivous that it was a joke. Hell I even threw in a LOL in the mix, but apparently the internet is dumber than that.

Yes that second qoute was an edit since I didn't see that one before I made the post and I though, well ok I'll qoute that to. Sorry about that, please enlighten me on proper internet forum quoting etiquette, clearly I'm lacking the fundamental skills in this serious matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom