• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRZ

Got the following gift:

Audiosurf full game
50% Valve x 2
50% gemini rue
50% nuclear dawn
50% 1,2,3 Kick It
33% Kalypso media
50% Bit Trip Runner
50% GTA4 complete
50% Chantelise

Someone interested in trade?

Artofwar420

I am officially out of money in my Steam wallet. I sincerely hope there are no new deals tomorrow. Unless they're like 1 dollar, I really don't want to go over my budget of $70.

(It goes so far during these sales!! It's almost infinite money.)

bs000

Is there an easy way to manage your categories? Or at least, delete them all pretty fast?

They're stored in Program Files\Steam\userdata\somenumber\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf so if you delete that it should delete your categories. You might have to turn off Steam Cloud first. I claim no responsibility for anything that might go wrong :p

Failing that, I found that simply logging into Steam on a different computer nukes all my categories every time >_>

1-D_FTW

People grumbling about game X not being a DD. Or game Y being beaten by Amazon this sale. This is why you buy the games you want when they're featured at well established floors.

Bought DA:U for either 5 or 6 dollars on Steam previously. And it's why I bought Alice for 7.50 and Bulletstorm for 4.99 the instant they went live. If a game is on your radar, and it's at a well established floor, buy now and stash in your backlog. Especially if it's EA and you want the game on Steam (since you don't know if it's going to get pulled/be featured as a DD again).

Looking on the trading thread... some people...

He also had a ton of coal. He just better not make a thread bitching about Steam if he gets banned for his farming.

Javaman

Is there a trick to the Flight Control HD achievement? So I landed 5 helicopters. OK but wait they have to be in a row. Well that's frustrating, okay I landed 5 in a row, got the 3-in-a-row achievement...but not 5 in a row.

I checked YouTube, okay so they all have to be on the same pad? I did that too, still no achievement. :|

*edit* Ugh, and now it's running the VC redist install every single time I launch it. Maybe there's a way to fix that?
Whenever a chopper shows up on the screen, make it go in a circle (just scribble a tight, long one out) and keep them in a holding pattern near the heli pad until you have 5. It took me about 8 frusterating tries.

Aselith

609FD4F35F6950382457FD5A8F2E6F27551907FA

derFeef

I've enjoyed SPAZ so far. Probably wouldn't have touched it if it hadn't been for the Steam Sale/Achievement hunting - so well played Steam.

Yeah, it pushed the right buttons for me. Space, shooting, leveling, quests, loot.

Also caved in and bought LA Noire. Is tomorrow end of all sales like the publisher catalogues also? Or is today the last possibility to get something cheaper.

Danj

Thinking about getting Magicka, but how is the SP campaign?

I've only played it for a little bit so far, but my impressions are a) the graphics are nice b) the control scheme is a little weird c) there's a fair amount of humour in it and d) everyone talks in foreign (sounds like some Scandinavian language) so you'll need to make sure to keep the subtitles on.

Have I missed something on Magicka? Ended up getting the Vietnam and Cthulu DLC but starting a New Game or whatever all I can see is an option for Cthulu or the standard game?

I'm utterly bored out of my mind. I finished Saints Row The Third yesterday and everything seems so dull now.

I want to play something mindless and vapid with maybe a bit of humour. If I don't have it I'll be willing to buy it.

Any suggestions?

I just finished it (I basically marathoned the second half of the game all of New Year's Eve) and goddamn what a game.

I don't think I have it in me to ever play another game. ):

Minsc

Gold Member
Heroes VI is too expensive so I bougth the Heroes V pack. I know VI is much better but I hope I have fun with V.

VI has a ways to go though, waiting on it makes sense as it will become cheaper and better. There's no reason to rush in to VI if you're new to Heroes, as VI still has many bugs and shortcomings. This is the true advice for a newcomer:

The question I would ask him is, did he get the Heroes of Might & Magic III Complete Edition? The GOG 50% off sale last until Monday..
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition

Personally, I would go for that 1000x over this
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5861060878/m/3141070459/p/1

Lain

Thanks to you guys, I added Dragon Age 1 & 2 (from that amazon.com deal) to the pile.
Will I be able to activate that as a steam game later, or do i have to settle on adding it as a non steam game?

You can give me the coal. :D

If you are doing it for valve games, I can give you a 50% coupon or perhaps a game. But I'll take my very little amount of chance and will keep it for the drawing. But those chances are probably pretty low so that's why I'm calling the coal almost useless.

Or I can still trade it for games, but most people probably aren't interested anymore after telling them it's now only for Valve games.

Grizza

Thanks to you guys, I added Dragon Age 1 & 2 (from that amazon.com deal) to the pile.
Will I be able to activate that as a steam game later, or do i have to settle on adding it as a non steam game?

It will probably be at least another two years before Origin fails and EA has to embrace Steam. You're out of luck for now.

That is really shitty of Valve to not make it transparent that the gift pile doesn't have unlimited gifts. All those people who hoarded coal to craft at the end really got screwed... :(

MNC

I've saved like 7-8 bucks, hopefully one of the good cheapies (Hard Reset, Bullet Storm) will come back so I can buy them :D

masterkajo

You really thought they had unlimited gifts? Really?

Yeah, I mean its not like they have to produce anything. All they give you is the game to download and that apparently can be done an infinite number of times. But apparently they only had a specific number of 3rd party games that they were allowed to give away.

Aaron

I don't care that all I got were worthless coupons for games that were always on sale for less than the % off. I ended up buying a lot of games super cheap, and nearly all of them were better than I expected. I can't think of one dud that I never want to play again, though I avoided the impulse of buying cheap games purely for achievements.

kennah

Yeah, I mean its not like they have to produce anything. All they give you is the game to download and that apparently can be done an infinite number of times. But apparently they only had a specific number of 3rd party games that they were allowed to give away.

They do have to produce something. The activation keys. Which are provided from the publishers. There's no way that the publishers would allow them to give away unlimited copies of their games. Just because it's digital doesn't mean it's a limitless resource.

It's the same way that games ran out of copies available during previous sales. Not enough keys were generated/allocated for the sale.

Turfster

Because all game publishers love giving away games for free. Yeah. Uh-huh. Makes sense.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Okay, what the fuck? Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is absolutely hysterical. The wackiness in this game alone was worth the two and a half dollars, but the rest of this is actually pretty damn good. Combat is very satisfying, which I did not expect at all. Even looks pretty respectable for a - gasp! - ye olde 2006 game. I love you, Source.

But yeah, someone at Bethesda needs to patch in a dedicated kick button and some exaggerated animations to Skyrim, 'cause man, that is straight up comedy. I was chuckling hard when I booted a guy off the stairs at the very beginning. A foot to the back and he just went flying.

i concur, glad it was on sale <3

Serious Sam 3 is seriously (hurr) making me rethink my top games of the year, and just about everyone is sleeping on it. Naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom