• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowestdregs

Neo Member
I think this is fairly accurate. I never saw a game drop after about halfway through the sale; just coupons and coal. It just simply never occurred to me that they "ran out;" I just thought my luck had run out. :)

Same here, I thought my lucky run had finished. At one stage I'd won 6 games and 4 coupons. I'm now up to 6 games and 19 coupons.

Xena

... so, when the achievements for that day popped up, I clicked the facebook achievement to link it, however it asked for my password (which I didn't remember at the time), so I just closed the window and was going to do it later when I got my pass book. Well, I logged in on my Steam and the achievement "has been unlocked", but I never had gone again back to it in order to sign up though my facebook. The facebook, however, has it's password saved when I go visit the site on my browser.

Does anyone know what happened here? Did it unlock because in the end it recognized later from my browsing on Chrome? Also, how do I check on Steam where this facebook info shows, to make sure it's mine?

kennah

Contributing to the cheap games pile:

Civilization III Complete is $2.49. Runs great on older computers and can still suck your life away with no issues. Great entry to the genre (it was my first one)

allansm

Okay, seriously, this Dark Messiah game is gold. Best $2.50 I've spent in who knows how long. I kicked a guy right into a bonfire and he instantly lit up. Kicked another guy's face into some spikes too, Bulletstorm would be proud. Everything has these wacky physics applied, which just makes it all so hilarious, and there's so much you can pick up and throw about (or kick). Why, yes, I do believe I'd like to chuck a bottle at some guard's head and then watch him fumble around in agony. This is just great. Comedy!

I have the game but I'm not able to play it. After playing for just a few minutes it becomes a slideshow and there's no way to fix that besides restarting the game every few minutes. I searched the steam forums and it seems there is no fix available.

dani_dc

Perhaps the guys in the GAF trading thread are very lucky and have honestly won 100+ coal, games and coupons. I don't know.

I haven't seen many people on GAF trading with 100+ coals, most of them have a fair number of coals and coupons, I assume most of the games are extra copies from past sales and events.

I have $1.70 left in my Steam Wallet. I'll probably grab one or two cheap TF2 hats (I'm part of the problem, I know x_x).

You could always try to pick up some cheap games instead.
Going to pick this one up later today.

With that said nothing wrong with picking a couple of cheap TF2 hats.

Hope they ban everyone who farmed gifts and ruined the experience for everyone else.

Be careful about how much blame you spread.

As I've said before: a lot of hardcore TF2 traders already had numerous Steam accounts that were "in good standing" with Valve (meaning they had spent real money on Steam and had been active for 90 days after that purchase). These accounts have existed ever since the TF2 item drop system started. And according to the Valve terms of service, these accounts cannot be treated any differently than your main account.

What makes this so difficult for Valve to deal with is that they have allowed these alt accounts to exist for months, and in many case, for years. They have allowed players to use them to earn TF2 items for free, because in many ways these farmers actually propel an economy which urges players to buy keys and other items in the TF2 Store.

Then this contest rolls around. They can't ban these accounts all of a sudden; the backlash from their TF2 cash cow would be phenomenal. And so we now see their response: the rules for the contest only prohibit using "scripts, macros, or other automated means" to generate entries. So if someone manually logged into numerous accounts in good standing, completed objectives, and manually traded coal back to their main account, they were not in violation of any rules.

I'll agree that Valve handled this poorly. But it's not as simple as it sounds.

ShaneB

Okay, seriously, this Dark Messiah game is gold. Best $2.50 I've spent in who knows how long. I kicked a guy right into a bonfire and he instantly lit up. Kicked another guy's face into some spikes too, Bulletstorm would be proud. Everything has these wacky physics applied, which just makes it all so hilarious, and there's so much you can pick up and throw about (or kick). Why, yes, I do believe I'd like to chuck a bottle at some guard's head and then watch him fumble around in agony. This is just great. Comedy!

After seeing positive reviews in this thread, your post solidified my purchase! Sounds fantastic! For 2.50 it's a can't miss, sounds like a tonne of fun.

After seeing positive reviews in this thread, your post solidified my purchase! Sounds fantastic! For 2.50 it's a can't miss, sounds like a tonne of fun.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is quite fun. I can't in good conscience recommend it since it's published by Ubisoft and those guys are among the most consumer-hostile PC publishers around. Of course, DMoMM was published back before they were total douchefaces, so maybe that's the right message to send.

How ever you feel on the matter, just be aware of where your money is going.

As I've said before: a lot of hardcore TF2 traders already had numerous Steam accounts that were "in good standing" with Valve (meaning they had spent real money on Steam and had been active for 90 days after that purchase). These accounts have existed ever since the TF2 item drop system started. And according to the Valve terms of service, these accounts cannot be treated any differently than your main account.

What makes this so difficult for Valve to deal with is that they have allowed these alt accounts to exist for months, and in many case, for years. They have allowed players to use them to earn TF2 items for free, because in many ways these farmers actually propel an economy which urges players to buy keys and other items in the TF2 Store.

Then this contest rolls around. They can't ban these accounts all of a sudden; the backlash from their TF2 cash cow would be phenomenal. And so we now see their response: the rules for the contest only prohibit using "scripts, macros, or other automated means" to generate entries. So if someone manually logged into numerous accounts in good standing, completed objectives, and manually traded coal back to their main account, they were not in violation of any rules.

Hmm, hadn't thought about the TF2 farm accounts. Ah, well that would potentially explain some things. Apologies.

ShaneB

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is quite fun. I can't in good conscience recommend it since it's published by Ubisoft and those guys are among the most consumer-hostile PC publishers around. Of course, DMoMM was published back before they were total douchefaces, so maybe that's the right message to send.

How ever you feel on the matter, just be aware of where your money is going.

Fair enough, I'd be more worried if it was full price, but I mean it's 2.50!

Also... now I can't play anything. "Scanning for Steam Games updates..", is just stalling.

edit: fixed, deleted clientregistry.blob.

Lyonaz

It's absolutely worth it for 2.50, freezing people and kicking them into pieces is fun. It even has environmental hazards, spikes, bonfires, wooden supports with barrels on them that you can use in battle.

Sye d'Burns

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Get the Heroes Pack.

Dark Messiah Might and Magic™
Released Oct 25, 2006
-75% $9.99
$2.49

Heroes of Might and Magic® V
Released May 13, 2008
-75% $9.99
$2.49

Heroes of Might and Magic® V: Hammers of Fate
Released Oct 10, 2008
-75% $9.99
$2.49

Heroes of Might and Magic® V: Tribes of the East
Released Oct 10, 2008
-75% $9.99
$2.49

2.49 for Dark Messiah or $4.99 for the whole lot.

So which non daily deals has the biggest actual price drop, and not just the biggest percentage off? It doesn´t really matter to me if a game costs 1€ instead of 4-5€, but if they are 4€ instead of 30-40€, then it´s a different thing.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

I personally have 10 TF2 idle accounts that I used to get coal and coupons. I won Dota 2 and Portal 2 off those accounts and gave them to friends as Christmas presents. I do feel bad essentially robbing people out of coupons and games. If I get banned, I will be upset, but I can only blame myself.

I didn't know about this gift farming shit. That is pretty insane and incredibly sad. I'm pretty sure most of the people that did that shit were financially well off enough to have bought the games they really wanted anyway.

And let me get this straight. There were 5 achievements per day, so the maximum amount of coupons or games someone could have had at the end of the sale is how much? I forgot how many days there were. And that basically means anyone who has an amount way over that, was a farming piece of shit, correct?

Deadbeat

Banned
It is a really fun game. It makes no sense whatsoever why the screwed over the 360 port.
I didn't know about this gift farming shit. That is pretty insane and incredibly sad. I'm pretty sure most of the people that did that shit were financially well off enough to have bought the games they really wanted anyway.
They should just make it that you cant trade anything unless you have a certain game value on your account. Unless you have say $60 worth of games you cant trade coal/coupons/gifts. You can send/receive gifts but nothing more.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hmm, hadn't thought about the TF2 farm accounts. Ah, well that would potentially explain some things. Apologies.

Not really. You are comparing having two accounts to play a game(Still have to manually farm and so forth), no real different than many MMO players. The only thing being won here are digital items, which can be sold for cash, but have no monetary worth on their own.

And people exploiting a charity/indie deal for a giveaway. Similar to people who create tons of fake Email address than get pissy when they take away everything.

I personally have 10 TF2 idle accounts that I used to get coal and coupons. I won Dota 2 and Portal 2 off those accounts and gave them to friends as Christmas presents. I do feel bad essentially robbing people out of coupons and games. If I get banned, I will be upset, but I can only blame myself.
The fact that you haven't been banned probably indicates you won't be.

Darryl

Banned

And let me get this straight. There were 5 achievements per day, so the maximum amount of coupons or games someone could have had at the end of the sale is how much? I forgot how many days there were. And that basically means anyone who has an amount way over that, was a farming piece of shit, correct?

I don't see what is 'insane and incredibly sad' about using multiple accounts to get gifts. Getting free stuff can be a thrill. You aren't stealing from the poor.

I believe there are 78 achievements you can get gifts for?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

6 per day * 13 days = 78 total achievements, but the problem is they heavily encourage trading so it would be perfectly reasonable for someone to trade one coupon for tons of coal or certainly one game for tons of coal.

well you could also trade....

That means that you could end up having some extra coupon / coal / games

So there's no point in going back to try for some of the other achievements now? (other than for an extra chance at the grand prize)? Good to know!

I never got anything other than coal the whole time, even at the start.

Darryl

Banned
So there's no point in going back to try for some of the other achievements now? (other than for an extra chance at the grand prize)? Good to know!

I never got anything other than coal the whole time, even at the start.

try for an extra copy at portal 2? you can still trade it for things you want

6 per day * 13 days = 78 total achievements, but the problem is they heavily encourage trading so it would be perfectly reasonable for someone to trade one coupon for tons of coal or certainly one game for tons of coal.
Fair enough. I've seen some examples where people had 30 full games though and I find it hard to believe they traded those for coal. So yea you're right the number doesn't mean everything, but still could give an indication of who did what.

I didn't have most of the games that had achievements and didn't even try to get any that I did have, so I don't feel robbed personally. I just think it's sad that a lot of people spent time and effort into getting achievements and coal and ended up with just coupons because the actual game pile was depleted, in part because of intensive farming by so many people.

Darryl

Banned
Fair enough. I've seen some examples where people had 30 full games though and I find it hard to believe they traded those for coal. So yea you're right the number doesn't mean everything, but still could give an indication of who did what.

I didn't have most of the games that had achievements and didn't even try to get any that I did have, so I don't feel robbed personally. I just think it's sad that a lot of people spent time and effort into getting achievements and coal and ended up with just coupons because the actual game pile was depleted, in part because of intensive farming by so many people.

the game pile isn't depleted, you can still get Valve games

LQX

Perhaps the guys in the GAF trading thread are very lucky and have honestly won 100+ coal, games and coupons. I don't know.

I was wondering why so many had so much coal. Didn't stop to think they were farming. Sucks for those that were saving them for the last day though.

chixdiggit

It should also be noted that there were a fair number of people collecting coal. I had a couple of instances where people bought games with their own money to trade me for my coal. So it could totally be possible that people have high amounts of coal without cheating the system.

Fair enough. I've seen some examples where people had 30 full games though and I find it hard to believe they traded those for coal.
Right. Most of those are bought for the purpose of trading/gifting to friends. You can absolutely buy games for your inventory, and you'll not that a lot of the games in those 30+ accounts aren't even winnable through this contest.

There are 35 million Steam users (says Wikipedia) its silly to place complete blame on fabled farmers.

Javaman

I'm at work now so can't do the figuring myself, but how many "freebie" achievements were there? I wouldn't count the free to play cheese that was time consuming. Maybe 7 or so? How about if we add the humble games that had cheesemints? I'm just trying to get an idea how bad this farming really was. Wet finger in the air is telling me about one freebie craft per account.

legacyzero

Banned
fucking ubisoft
55556666.png

dani_dc

I'm at work now so can't do the figuring myself, but how many "freebie" achievements were there? I wouldn't count the free to play cheese that was time consuming. Maybe 7 or so? How about if we add the humble games that had cheesemints? I'm just trying to get an idea how bad this farming really was. Wet finger in the air is telling me about one freebie craft per account.

7 free ones and a free gift per account, so 8 per account if they didn't do any of the F2P games.

I just did the Revenge of the Titans achievement, HOLY CRAP.

I think I lucked out at the end, my buildings were going up in flames one by one but a fully decked out Disruptor and Laser survived and two Berserk powers managed to save my hide at the end to take care of the final insane wave and the final Ultrayeti. It was about my fifth attempt, took about an hour plus from when I started this morning.

My pretty much desolate final moments (the entire upper-left area was filled about two minutes prior to this):

BC7o5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom