• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

I just beat Batman AC and I'm close to finish Saints Row the Third, which game do you guys recommend I play next, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex and L.A. Noire?

Deus Ex is the correct answer. My second favorite game this year (still 2011 for me).

Sober

Let's not get carried away. Amazon beat Steam on Dungeon Defenders, Civ V, Renegade Ops a d a few others, but there were till amazing Steam deals. Lots of great indie Ames for $2 or less and LA Noire Complete Edition for $12 is great.

And that's only the Alies. There are literally thousands of games on the Steam sale compared to Amazons handful a day.
It's time to revive the thread of "not dailies but still fucking worth it" list of games because tomorrow is the last day and probably repeats of top sellers.

Speaking of the top sellers list today, are the dailies really THAT BAD or is it just broken? Because it hasn't changed much from yesterday.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know if it's just because I have weird tastes in games, or because I always arrive late to the party, but Bit Trip Runner is outstanding.

Probably the most intuitive and well designed game I've come across in some time.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah does anyone have a list of all the last-gen console games that were either released first on the PC, or which received PC ports?

Bebpo

Banned
lol, Steam is really out of games to give away. 1 prize after winning Half Life 1, I win Counter Strike Source. ^^;

Javaman

Total haul for me was

Objectives:50

Drops:Magicka and Halflife 1
13 worthless coupons
7 unused coal

Crafted:28 coal for another 4 useless coupons

I liked the deals as usual, but maaan, this contest was full of FAIL.

Sober

And already people are mad in that thread already. I guess the concept did work around the event, just not accounting for people exploiting the system like that. I'm sure the next Summer event will be more like last years and whatever they learned from this year's because I did like the scavenger hunt/do achievements for stuff thing, but I think the gift pile is too easy to exploit vs. the summer camp thing.

What I hope to see is still achievements for tokens to redeem on DLC and coupons (cheaper) or full games (expensive, limited pool or even a pool that changes every day) - or even golden coupons as a middle tier cost - and entries into the grand prize for keeping any remaining tokens instead.

Jasoco

Banned
Still haven't decided whether I want the BioShock games or not. Not sure how they'll run in Windows on my 2011 MacBook Air.

Holy shit the responses in that thread are priceless.

"Time to get back to my University work, life is more important than wasting my hard-earned money and precious time with such greedy and money-oriented business' who give absolutely no priority nor have any concerns whatsoever over their loyal customers"

Haha oh wow.

People man. Tell me about another company that gives games away to thousands of people for two weeks straight. "Fukkin scum man".

1282954647552.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

"Time to get back to my University work, life is more important than wasting my hard-earned money and precious time with such greedy and money-oriented business' who give absolutely no priority nor have any concerns whatsoever over their loyal customers"

Fuck you and your lousy coupons, Valve!!

My favorite complaints are the ones of people claiming they spent hundreds of dollars to try their luck at crafting or entering the contest when they could have spent that money to just buy what they wanted straight out.

And already people are mad in that thread already. I guess the concept did work around the event, just not accounting for people exploiting the system like that. I'm sure the next Summer event will be more like last years and whatever they learned from this year's because I did like the scavenger hunt/do achievements for stuff thing, but I think the gift pile is too easy to exploit vs. the summer camp thing.

What I hope to see is still achievements for tokens to redeem on DLC and coupons (cheaper) or full games (expensive, limited pool or even a pool that changes every day) - or even golden coupons as a middle tier cost - and entries into the grand prize for keeping any remaining tokens instead.

This is all new to me and I think it was brilliant. There were a ton of games on sale and not crap sales like we see on Origin either. The hunt for Achievements was done a lot better than I see on Xbox Live and PSN where you actually get rewards, even if most are lousy coupons or coal. I did 26 so far and have gotten two free games out of it (Left4Dead GOTY and Frozen Synapse). I crafted twice and got two coupons and the rest was coal and more coupons.

The only thing I found redundant that could be improved on were the coupons because they do seem pretty useless, especially when the sales are better than what the coupons provide. I did buy a few games that I now wish I hadn't but at these prices I can't complain.

Haha oh wow.

People man. Tell me about another company that gives games away to thousands of people for two weeks straight. "Fukkin scum man".

1282954647552.gif

Lol, like that video caption. He's one of my favourite actors too.

Sober

I think the ultimate mistake was making the tokens (coal) 1) only a % drop instead of guaranteed and 2) making them tradeable.

I understand the theme of the holiday sale was gifting but what they should've done, and would've been harder to exploit, is to just have the tokens redeem for giftable copies of games (which is what I thought they were going to do, or make gift-only copies cheaper to buy).

If they want to keep a separate token redemption store for forever alones/spare tokens then they could've also just put smaller bind-to-account things like DLC and smaller indie games on that and then made giftable copies of games available if you had say, 15 or so tokens instead (or proportional to price, so something like PvZ would be like 5 and skyrim would be like 25 for example). If you want to redeem tokens for a game you want it should be even more expensive (like 40-60% more tokens). That would encourage gifting and such.

That or also make golden coupons (limited quantities shown) also redeemable so they would carry more worth as part of trades. And possibly spawn regular coupons only as a % when you get a token from an achievement.

If coal wasn't tradeable we wouldn't be having this problem I feel; everything else is just a result of that.

Oh, and possibly holiday-themed achievements; since mostly only indie games can afford to do this, it makes getting tokens relatively cheap. Not that they should stop, but they should mix in more 10-25$ titles to just "scavenger hunt" regular achievements from - that would limit the amount people are willing to spend to collect tokens or that would provide more return if someone is willing to spend a couple more bucks on a game to get a token from when they might later redeem them for a more expensive game.

wilflare

back online to help for regional gifting
PM me your steam email and link of the game you wish to purchase

hmm. guess i should keep my 60coals then

Kuroyume

Banned
If coal wasn't tradeable we wouldn't be having this problem I feel; everything else is just a result of that.

If coal weren't tradeable I wouldn't have ended up with E.Y.E, Frozen Synapse, Half-Life 2, and Terraria. I would have ended up with just L4D, coal, and a few shitty coupons.

I think what messed up with this promotion was people abusing it with multiple accounts. Also, many of those coupons shouldn't exist anyway when you could simply get those games cheaper during the promotion instead of after it. 10% off Valve? Really?

vazel

Banned
Valve has to know a lot of the coupons are shit. They can't give you something good everytime you win/craft something.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Guys. Guys. Guys.

Guys.

You know what this means?

Half Life 3's release date is March 2nd.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Sober

If coal weren't tradeable I wouldn't have ended up with E.Y.E, Frozen Synapse, Half-Life 2, and Terraria. I would have ended up with just L4D, coal, and a few shitty coupons.

I think what messed up with this promotion was people abusing it with multiple accounts. Also, many of those coupons shouldn't exist anyway when you could simply get those games cheaper during the promotion instead of after it. 10% off Valve? Really?
Fair enough, but I can't think of a way to make tokens tradeable without eliminating the "free" achievements (Steam-related or F2P game related).

That or make it so tokens redeem for a giftable copy of a game on a friend's wishlist so it comes out to about the same effect.

Exuro

Fair enough, but I can't think of a way to make tokens tradeable without eliminating the "free" achievements (Steam-related or F2P game related).

That or make it so tokens redeem for a giftable copy of a game on a friend's wishlist so it comes out to about the same effect.
How about requiring an account to purchase something to access the ability to trade? The issue was making tons of accounts just to get the freebee achievements right?

Volcynika

How about requiring an account to purchase something to access the ability to trade? The issue was making tons of accounts just to get the freebee achievements right?

I think they do require a game on there, though not a direct Steam purchase.

So in came the Humble Bundle abuse.

Darryl

Banned

How exactly was this promotion "messed up"? It's one of the most brilliant promotions I've ever seen. I didn't even use the Steam platform before this, and now I'm hooked as a consumer! Bought tons of stuff I would've never otherwise bought.

Fou-Lu

Playing the Dark Messiah demo and this game is amazing. Perfect combat system. And fuck do I love kicking my enemies off cliffs.

RoboShmup

Banned
Well, looks like all my coal is going into the drawing then. Kinda feel good about it. Not that I think I have a chance of winning, but it feels like more of a victory than having an inventory full of shitty coupons.

pilonv1

I think they should have notified people earlier that there were only Valve coupons left. I wouldn't have crafted mine then.

Scythian

Playing the Dark Messiah demo and this game is amazing. Perfect combat system. And fuck do I love kicking my enemies off cliffs.

Reading this made me interested again in this game, could anyone who has finished it share some impressions?
If I like The Elder Scrolls games, will I like Dark Messiah?

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a trick to the Flight Control HD achievement? So I landed 5 helicopters. OK but wait they have to be in a row. Well that's frustrating, okay I landed 5 in a row, got the 3-in-a-row achievement...but not 5 in a row.

I checked YouTube, okay so they all have to be on the same pad? I did that too, still no achievement. :|

*edit* Ugh, and now it's running the VC redist install every single time I launch it. Maybe there's a way to fix that?

Sober

Is there a trick to the Flight Control HD achievement? So I landed 5 helicopters. OK but wait they have to be in a row. Well that's frustrating, okay I landed 5 in a row, got the 3-in-a-row achievement...but not 5 in a row.

I checked YouTube, okay so they all have to be on the same pad? I did that too, still no achievement. :|
No, they don't have to be on the same pad. Are other planes landing when you are landing the helicopters? I got 3-in-a-row first too, so I dunno there because I had a crash and had to retry anyway. Just make sure when they all show up have all the other planes circle while the helis land.

Also, stupid question but you are on the right map right? :\

fake edit: I didn't catch your edit and can't be arsed to copy it, but try just deleting the vcredist_x86.exe file in common\flight_control_hd\VC_Redist\, I had a similar problem with Bit.Trip.Runner for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom