• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

I'm not expecting otherwise, but none of the coupons work yet, right? And I'm guessing they won't until the sale is over?

Tried one earlier but no the coupons don't seem to be active yet. Shame as they do say they are valid from 2nd Jan so I figured there'd be a small loophole window but I guess Valve thought of that already :p

TGMIII

Coal gets taken from your account in 5 hours, I'm assuming they'll activate the coupons along with this, so obviously you won't be able to apply it to current deals. Valve better give me protection from all the people wanting the amazing 25% off valve coupons I have.

biocat

It's been an awesome sale everyone.

Could anyone in the US do me a favor and help me get the remaining two Shogun 2 DLCs I don't have: Hattori Clan Pack, and Blood Pack?

Message me! :)

(EDIT) got it! Thanks, Wilflare!

MNC

I'm still not sure what to do with my last 7 euros. I've got a 50% hard reset coupon so I can buy the game at the same price as this sale whenever, and bulletstorm demo wasn't too much fun tbh. Lost planet 2 I know is fun but I'd need 3 other players to have the maximum amount of fun...

Does anybody perhaps have new vegas vanilla lying about or something that I can buy off of them? Any other pointers to games?

I'm still not sure what to do with my last 7 euros. I've got a 50% hard reset coupon so I can buy the game at the same price as this sale whenever, and bulletstorm demo wasn't too much fun tbh. Lost planet 2 I know is fun but I'd need 3 other players to have the maximum amount of fun...

Does anybody perhaps have new vegas vanilla lying about or something that I can buy off of them? Any other pointers to games?

The demo of Bulletstorm is pretty bad so you know, although I didn't like the game much.

froliq

Got 7 coal. What to do? :(

I don't believe in these prizes. I never win! But on the other side it's this huge chance on a worthless valve coupon.

Benedict

It's been an awesome sale everyone.

Could anyone in the US do me a favor and help me get the remaining two Shogun 2 DLCs I don't have: Hattori Clan Pack, and Blood Pack?

Message me! :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/biocat

Are you sure they are cheaper in the US compared to where you live?
They are cheaper for me in the EU than if I got somebody to buy it for me from the US. At least when it was a daily deal. www.steamprices.com

Hattori:
EUR € 0.86
USD $ 1.24 » EUR € 0.96 (+11.63%)

Blood pack is a bit cheaper in US, but not by much

derFeef

Everyone told you to buy Bulletstorm yesterday already! ;)
And the demo of that game is pretty bad, sadly.

biocat

Are you sure they are cheaper in the US compared to where you live?
They are cheaper for me in the EU than if I got somebody to buy it for me from the US. At least when it was a daily deal. www.steamprices.com

Hattori:
EUR € 0.86
USD $ 1.24 » EUR € 0.96 (+11.63%)

Blood pack is a bit cheaper in US, but not by much

You're right. I didn't really check because they're so cheap anyways. It's not available in Japan and I just thought Paypal would be easier using accounts from the same country.

my year end steam haul:

Magicka Complete Pack (Nov 2011) -$6.50
Bioshock 2 - $5
Sequence - Gift
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum - $10
Humble Indie Bundle 4 BTA
Humble Indie Bundle 4 - $6
Bastion - $5
Limbo - $5
Portal 2 - $10

Total cost: $47.50
Total steam worth: $1251.03

great haul this year despite a lackluster sale lineup

So Karma Cow gifted me Bad Rats

earlier in the thread, someone mentioned it was like an urban legend, nobody had actually played it, but they knew people who played it. Well... I've played it. As much as I could tolerate before the game kind of got pretty repetitive and stale.

Pros:
-Game is very cheap/probably free
-Good music
-Puzzles are alright, but they get stale fast

Cons:
- Gore for the sake of gore. It becomes pointless when you drop a soccer ball onto a rat and it explodes into meat hunks like this is Quake or something. This is in a game that has a childlike appearence
- No Anti-Aliasing without forcing it. Yep... and a grand total of 3 resolution options.
- Racist... yep, they couldn't make a game in 2009 (lol what) without making a jab at Muslims. The "bomber" rat is dressed up in Muslim attire and gets on his knees and prays every few seconds.
- The graphics are terrible, but this is a low budget indie game, so I don't know if I can critique that. The animations are robotic and when thew characters die they just disappear and gibs are left in their place.
- The cat is cute and makes cute noises but the point of the game is to kill him. The mice seem like villains in appearance and voice and yet you're helping them.
- Much to my surprise the game has Steam achievements!

Makes me really wonder how this got approved for Steam, while lots of other indies struggle.

Anyway, have some screenshots
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ballad/screenshot/614972449757777713/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ballad/screenshot/614972449757779757/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ballad/screenshot/614972449757781340/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ballad/screenshot/614972449757792991/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ballad/screenshot/614972449757795592/?tab=public

Thanks Karma Cow for gifting this to me so I could experience the awfulness.

...although it did have a shimmer of a good idea. TIM was one of my first video games, so this game sort of gets a little nostalgia from me. It's too bad the items aren't as interesting to look at, and none of them are very clear on their purpose (still not sure how the bomber could actually be used in a puzzle, he causes the ball to explode straight up and it just comes right back down). But it seems they really like the bomber rat, because they give him to you in pretty much every puzzle in "easy" mode.

I'll probably go back and play some more, just to see how far this game goes. Seems like 50+ puzzles, and I'm on puzzle 4... so this'll be fun.

Angry Fork

Is Deus Ex Missing Link just more of the same? I loved the game but I felt satisfied at the end of it and am not necessarily itching for more. Does the DLC provide a feel that you can't get in the main game?

grendelrt

Is Deus Ex Missing Link just more of the same? I loved the game but I felt satisfied at the end of it and am not necessarily itching for more. Does the DLC provide a feel that you can't get in the main game?

I just started it and think the environment is cool, for 5 bucks I think its worth it.

Chaos

Great Sale This Year

My Haul

Psychonauts
Orcs Must Die!
Dungeons of Dredmor Pack with Realm of the Diggle Gods
Dungeon Defenders
Medieval II: Total War Complete Pack
CIV V GOTY
Witcher Enhanced Edition
X Superbox

Total Spend
£10.22

dani_dc

Coal gets taken from your account in 5 hours, I'm assuming they'll activate the coupons along with this, so obviously you won't be able to apply it to current deals. Valve better give me protection from all the people wanting the amazing 25% off valve coupons I have.

I'm hoping that the coupons activate at 6pm GMT, usually they take a few minutes to update all the prices so maybe there will be a small window of opportunity to use the coupons.

Saint's Row: The Third - $33
RAGE - $15
Puzzle Agent - $1.25
Flight Control HD - $1.25
L.A. Noire - $13
The Binding of Isaac - $1.25
Bastion - $5

Total: $69.75

Also won, A.R.E.S. and Gemini Rue from the Steam Holiday Gifts thing.

Biggest surprise is probably RAGE, I liked that game a lot more than I thought I would based on the critiques. Really fun shooter and the character animations in towns are awesome.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank you to the fellow gaffer who very kindly gifted me Serious Sam 3. I really wanted to play that game and now I will in a matter of a couple of hours. Best present I received this holiday :) Can't wait to do some co op.

RAGE - $15
Puzzle Agent - $1.25
L.A. Noire - $13
Bastion - $5
Damn son, excellent pick ups and nice and frugal habits. But GATDAM, why did you have to spend 33 on Steam when it was on sale multiple times for 20 or a little less!??!?

One thing's for sure - if crafting useless coupons from hard-won coals taught anyone that gambling is for fools, and helped to discourage such behaviour in the future, then the social experiment was worth it.

It's just that I didn't like the feeling of being a lab rat for Gabe's financial theories. Though I did take part, and even profited a little from it, so I probably shouldn't be saying that.

Crafting got me some nice games. Don't know whats wrong with it. Most coals were easy to get too.

TGMIII

I'm hoping that the coupons activate at 6pm GMT, usually they take a few minutes to update all the prices so maybe there will be a small window of opportunity to use the coupons.

I seriously doubt it. I'll assume that they'll take the deals down and fix the prices, then and only then they'll activate the coupons for all of 2 people to actually make use of. Again I hope I'm wrong and we can get something out of these coupons but I'm not holding my breath.

LiquidMetal14

RAGE - $15
Puzzle Agent - $1.25
L.A. Noire - $13
Bastion - $5

Total: $69.75

Also won, A.R.E.S. and Gemini Rue from the Steam Holiday Gifts thing.

Biggest surprise is probably RAGE, I liked that game a lot more than I thought I would based on the critiques. Really fun shooter and the character animations in towns are awesome.

It's on sale right now again too

Saints Row the Third PC £9.99

really an amazing price for an amazing game.

DISCLAIMER

Not rubbing salt in wound!

Mihos

Gold Member
I am hoping who ever wins the grand prize is a real person with a single account that only has like 1 or 2 pieces of coal.

That would make me all warm inside for some reason.

dani_dc

I seriously doubt it. I'll assume that they'll take the deals down and fix the prices, then and only then they'll activate the coupons for all of 2 people to actually make use of. Again I hope I'm wrong and we can get something out of these coupons but I'm not holding my breath.

Of course, that's my expectation as well, as I said it's just something I'm hoping for so I can actually give use to some of the coupons I have.

LiquidMetal14

I am hoping who ever wins the grand prize is a real person with a single account that only has like 1 or 2 pieces of coal.

That would make me all warm inside for some reason.

It would for me too. I had 28 and crafted 3 times for coupons. Only then did I get really bitter after reading that they had run out since it gave me no chance at all vs the hoarders. I sit with 5 right now. I hope to get something but I am not holding my breath.

dani_dc

Honestly, I'd rather not win. Looking at a game list of like 3000 would overwhelm the shit out of me and I'd never play anything.

My "Unlikely to play soon" list would grow on size by a lot.

With that said I'm hoping a couple of my friends that have fewer steam games win the Grand prize as they would actually get quite a few games they want but can't afford.

joesmokey

Total Damage:

Bastion - 5.09
Bioshock - 4.99
BIT.TRIP.BEAT - 2.49
Dungeon Defenders - 3.74
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY - 4.99
Hard Reset - 4.99
Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga - 9.99
Orcs Must Die! - 3.74

Total Cost: $40.02

Crazy that I got everything for only $40, I thought my total tally was going to be a lot higher. Only really broke the bank with Divinity II.

Giard

I'm having a problem with Steam...
I changed my language to French to see what it would look like (I'm French). I noticed that 4 of my games downloaded updates suddenly, and fearing it would be the French versions of the games, I switched back to English. However, the updates are still there. I've paused them for now.

How can I cancel them??? I want to keep the English versions...

Honestly, I'd rather not win. Looking at a game list of like 3000 would overwhelm the shit out of me and I'd never play anything.

I want the win but I don't even activate my Humble Bundle keys because each bundle has a few games I don't want and I don't want them on my Steam!

Mihos

Gold Member
Total Damage:

Bastion - 5.09
Bioshock - 4.99
BIT.TRIP.BEAT - 2.49
Dungeon Defenders - 3.74
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY - 4.99
Hard Reset - 4.99
Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga - 9.99
Orcs Must Die! - 3.74

Total Cost: $40.02

Crazy that I got everything for only $40, I thought my total tally was going to be a lot higher. Only really broke the bank with Divinity II.

I really liked Divinity 2. I think you did alright!

The Bulletstorm demo isn't a fair reflection on the game.

FireFly

Not really. It's like the main game, but tougher, in the sense that you don't get a whole lot of praxis points to spend, and have to think more about how to use the tools you do have to overcome obstacles.

In the original you could just max out everything, so you could take any path you wanted. Here, for example you might not choose the smash through walls augmentation, and miss many hidden paths, or you might not take CASIE, and miss out on extra information at the end. It's a very economical experience; no hub world, no real side quests, not much change of scenery.

But I think it's very well done.

amdnv

I agree, it would be really annoying. I don't even buy bundles because I don't want to own a bunch of games I have no interest in.

I do have a game category that says "Zero Interest", but I wish I could just delete these games off of my Steam instead. If I own something physical, I always have the option of throwing it away. Why do I not have this option for digital goods? I DO NOT WANT THEM.

Damn son, excellent pick ups and nice and frugal habits. But GATDAM, why did you have to spend 33 on Steam when it was on sale multiple times for 20 or a little less!??!?
LiquidMetal14 said:
It's on sale right now again too

Saints Row the Third PC £9.99
For one, I live in the US, Amazon.co.uk doesn't ship video games to the US - at least not to me.

Amazon said:
Important Message
Saints Row The Third (PC DVD) cannot be shipped to the selected address.

Not to mention that's actually about $16 USD and would never qualify for free shipping so at least $20+ I also have to pay taxes on shipped orders since I live in NYC. Plus I was off work last week during a company furlough, if I would of had to wait until now there's no way I would of been able to play this great game. All that being said, I didn't actually pay for that one, it was a gifted to me by my Dad on Steam like a week ago - just thought I'd list it since it was something from the sale I got.

LiquidMetal14

For one, I live in the US, Amazon.co.uk doesn't ship video games to the US - at least not to New York City.

Not to mention that's about $16 USD and would never qualify for free shipping so at least $20. Plus I was off work last week during a company furlough, if I would of had to wait until now there's no way I would of been able to play this great game. All that being said, I didn't actually pay for that one, it was a gifted to me by my Dad on Steam like a week ago - just thought I'd list it since it was something from the sale I got.

True. I did get mine in the GMG sale for 20 though :)

Thoughts on AC Brotherhood for $13.59? Worth getting or waiting?

Without even playing it, it's seems easily worth 20. And for it to be a newer title makes it a better deal too. I would bite on that easily if I had the cash.

Odd, I thought the coupons still counted on already reduced games.

I have a 50% off LA Noire coupon valid from the 2nd Jan to 1st March but it's not showing up when I go to buy the game it's valid on. :(

Too good to be true I guess.

Odd, I thought the coupons still counted on already reduced games.

I have a 50% off LA Noire coupon valid from the 2nd Jan to 1st March but it's not showing up when I go to buy the game it's valid on. :(

Too good to be true I guess.
My best guess is that the coupons will be active whenever the sale ends, most like in a little less than 2 hours.
They should still stack on regular sales so there should be some interesting combos to do by the end of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom