• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not strictly Steam sale related, F.E.A.R. 3 is $7.83/£4.99 on GMG right now:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shooter/fear-3/

For comparison, it's $26.79 on Steam during the sale, and I think the lowest it went on a daily was $19.99.

Was probably mentioned before, but it never hurts to let new folks know :).

Just got DNF $0.99 from Amazon with their new year voucher :)

Great deals. Thanks guys.

I had a £1 copy of free Men at War lying around to knock off F.E.A.R. 3 to £3.99 and DNF for less than a buck as a reward for buying Renegade Ops for cheap is pretty good too.
This, $10 Serious Sam 3 from getgamesgo and £15 complete Saints Row 3 were the highlights of the sale for me.

Guys, can anyone help? Whenever I launch Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, the game runs the Microsoft VC Redist Package every time. This is the only game it's happening with, and I know it's been happening to others. Is there a way to fix it?

didamangi

Guys, can anyone help? Whenever I launch Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, the game runs the Microsoft VC Redist Package every time. This is the only game it's happening with, and I know it's been happening to others. Is there a way to fix it?

delete installscript.vdf in sf4ae folder (Steam\steamapps\common\)

goober

Blasts. I was just about to buy also. Oh well, maybe they'll get more stock.
The best time to do it (at least I think so) is when Amazon is transitioning between another set of daily deals. So as the price changes, you can apply it.

Some people here have been able to get civ 5 goty for 5 dollars.

cicero

Tried to order DNF from Amazon and everything went fine until I ordered it. Never showed up in my Digital Items list and never got a confirmation email. Been live chatting with someone for a while now, they don't see it listed either. Hopefully the promo code I used that I asked about is listed as being activated so that is some proof of my order and I can get some credit for it.

Probably a long shot but does anyone have a GTA classics pack left over in their inventory they are willing to part with for about the price it was available on the sale day (US$7.50). I know it's still available at gamersgate at that price but I'd much rather have it all in one place in steam.

cicero

My attempt at a subtle sidestep into having my Duke Nukem Forever order fulfilled has failed... I like to think it was a very clinical and polite chess match of the wills.

Ohhhhh, Amazon. ;_;

So, this sale, I bought:

Assassin's Creed II
Batman Arkham Asylum
GTA Complete pack
L.A. Noire
Mirror's Edge
Orcs Must Die
SPAZ

...of which the only games I haven't played, finished, and sold/traded console versions of were Orcs Must Die, SPAZ, and the GTA games before San Andreas. Still, oddly pleased with my haul.

Almost forgot to buy Civ IV Complete. Now I can see what the differences are between this and V. I already know I won't like the combat, square grids and stacks of doom sound so damned unappealing but I want to see how V was dumbed-down/streamlined/simplified compared to IV.

I've sunk over 200 hours into Civ V's single player, I shudder to think how much time I may sink into Civ IV, Beyond the Sword, Colonization and Warlords.

confused

Banned
Oh shit, my wages just came in and I caved on

Skyrim
Dead Rising OTR
Super Street Fighter 4 AE

another 63.5 Euros gone..........

kitzkozan

Finally time to jump on the steam bandwagon and I'm glad I did. :)

Got some games in the package I wanted to play for a while like:

Crysis Maximum edition
Civilization IV complete edition
The Witcher : Enhanced edition
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings digital premium edition
Total War: Shogun 2

Never expected to get the Witcher 2 deluxe package, but the price and timing was way too nice to pass up. These price are simply too good to pass up 0_0 ...

Will definitively check out the summer and holiday sales each year from now on. ;)

Dwayne

I have 21 coal. Please stop me from drunk crafting them for DOTA2 beta. I already have every other Valve coupon you can get and most of their game ones too.

I'd craft, the likelihood of winning the global comp is just too slim. If there's a remote chance you could craft DOTA2, go for it!

Flunkie

Banned
I'd craft, the likelihood of winning the global comp is just too slim. If there's a remote chance you could craft DOTA2, go for it!

This is why I crafted all of mine down. I'd like to think that my chances only go down marginally by crafting. If I get lucky I get lucky. Sure, I got a boatload of coupons and Trine 1, but I would never have known for sure if I would've got something better than nothing if I hadn't crafted.

Dunno if that all makes sense. Too tired.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yes, I'll join in the thank you parade here and offer my thanks to everyone who traded with and gifted to me, especially poor Petrie, who took a -50% Bethesda coupon and 7 coals for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and PAYDAY respectively, then crafted the coals and got...well, exactly what you'd expect.

Once again for the forlorn:

I+know+that+feel+bro.png

I'd give the poor fucker one back, but I redeemed them both :p Seriously, bro, I'm mega-poor, but if you ever need help with anything Steam-related, PM me.

And extra-special thanks to Pallette Swap, my official favourite Frenchman, for just giving me the Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution out of le bleu. Major kudos.

It was a great sale for me as far as games went, but wasn't without its problems. I felt that the cheev competition system they used in the Summer Sale was far superior to this previous one; even though the prizes were much smaller, I somewhat prefer the way it was run to the virtual crapshoot that the coal-and-coupons system became. At least you were guaranteed something mildly useful then, and you could choose what you wanted!

Of course, if the point of the C&C system was to get people to use Steam's trading function, then it succeeded beyond Valve's wildest hopes, no doubt. However, I don't really like having object lessons in basic capitalism shoved down my throat, especially if it leads to good people like Petrie losing out. i get the uncomfortable feeling that this whole thing was a pseudo-political living parable of sorts - and I didn't want to be taught.

Another problem is that the coupons only last till the beginning of March, making them virtually useless for the hard-pressed majority, who just won't have the money to be splashing out on games after an expensive holiday season (if they're sane, that is). Yeah, yeah, thisisneogafdude.gif, but I know that I'm only going to be using one of the many, many coupons I've accrued through this past sale, and I'll bet that there's many GAFfers who won't be using any at all. Seems sort of cheap, that's all.

Otherwise, the sale was rather cool, though I can't have been alone in being disappointed at some of the daily deals - especially those that could be found on sites like Amazon and GamersGate for much less, and for a longer period of time. Add to that the fact that there were two extremely good charity bundles just before the sale (HIB4 and the Indie Gala), and the Winter Sale felt somewhat deflated to me. Still, at least buying HIB4 before the sale came online allowed me to get more sale cheevs, so there is that XD

My personal highlights: Bulletstorm for $5, Deus Ex HR DLC for free, PAYDAY and Stranger's Wrath for virtually (and literally) nothing, Nation Red, Hard Reset, Rock Of Ages and Xotic for mere pennies, and finally getting my hands on Alice for cheap! Like I said, it was a really good sale for games.

Looking forward to the next sale. Let's just hope the Based Gods fine-tune their compo a bit next time, eh?

Artofwar420

Last purchase of the sale. This whole thing was fun; I actually played a lot of games that I enjoyed. Seems like the trading system is fully operational/known and I can't wait to see what Valve do with it next. It also showed that economic principles will find a way even in the darkest depths of the internet. Fascinating stuff, this whole coals/games/gambling business.

2094427-1.png

Good luck everyone.

dave_m123

Finally time to jump on the steam bandwagon and I'm glad I did. :)

Got some games in the package I wanted to play for a while like:

Crysis Maximum edition
Civilization IV complete edition
The Witcher : Enhanced edition
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings digital premium edition
Total War: Shogun 2

Never expected to get the Witcher 2 deluxe package, but the price and timing was way too nice to pass up. These price are simply too good to pass up 0_0 ...

Will definitively check out the summer and holiday sales each year from now on. ;)

Look at the publishers packs :) So many games in some of them for not much really lol Also keep an eye out for the mid week/weekend sales oh and daily sales. I know it never ends :( lol.

Dambrosi

Banned
Last purchase of the sale. This whole thing was fun; I actually played a lot of games that I enjoyed. Seems like the trading system is fully operational/known and I can't wait to see what Valve do with it next. It also showed that economic principles will find a way even in the darkest depths of the internet. Fascinating stuff, this whole coals/games/gambling business.

One thing's for sure - if crafting useless coupons from hard-won coals taught anyone that gambling is for fools, and helped to discourage such behaviour in the future, then the social experiment was worth it.

It's just that I didn't like the feeling of being a lab rat for Gabe's financial theories. Though I did take part, and even profited a little from it, so I probably shouldn't be saying that.

Shaneus

Anyone know if there's a way to look at a list of all the DLC available for games you own, in case any are on sale? Wouldn't mind snagging a few if they're discounted, but I have too many games to go through :(

Dinosur

One thing's for sure - if crafting useless coupons from hard-won coals taught anyone that gambling is for fools, and helped to discourage such behaviour in the future, then the social experiment was worth it.

Well, what's really worse? Gambling by crafting your coal or saving it for a 1 in 50 bajillion chance at a payday? Pretty much lose/lose either way, hehe.

Dingotech

I'm tempted to get Gatling Gears at 50% off, any opinions?

All the EA/Origin account garbage on the games info page has me spooked...

EDIT - Stuff it bought... along with Serious Sam Double Pack and Faerie Solitaire.

Thoraxes

Anyone know if there's a way to look at a list of all the DLC available for games you own, in case any are on sale? Wouldn't mind snagging a few if they're discounted, but I have too many games to go through :(
In your library, click the game you want DLC for, and on the right side, there's a button that says DLC.

Click that.

alright, this sale was pretty good after all, got everything i wanted and even some stuff i did NOT want lol like "Vegas - Make it Big" ... anyone want that? i give it away for free :)

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass. I looked at my purchase history to see what I already bought.

Every game needs to have an in-game option to see what dlc you have, like Dragon Age. It's really hard to remember all of them, I'm looking at you Dungeon Defenders.

Dinosur

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass. I looked at my purchase history to see what I already bought.

Every game needs to have an in-game option to see what dlc you have, like Dragon Age. It's really hard to remember all of them, I'm looking at you Dungeon Defenders.

Yeah, if it wasn't for these daily achievements, I never would have known stuff like Dungeon Defenders or Sanctum had free DLC.

TaroYamada

Right click on the game in your library "View Downloadable Content".

Shaneus

I still need to go to each individual dlc page to see if I got it or not. And some free stuff like Dungeon Defenders DLC that are not free anymore don't say anything.
Spot on. And given that it's mostly indie stuff that has unknown DLC it's usually only a buck when discounted so it becomes pretty much a no-brainer.

Lumine

I'm not expecting otherwise, but none of the coupons work yet, right? And I'm guessing they won't until the sale is over?

Well, what's really worse? Gambling by crafting your coal or saving it for a 1 in 50 bajillion chance at a payday? Pretty much lose/lose either way, hehe.

While crafting and saving for the prize draw are both pretty shitty, you had a third option of using coal as currency and trading it to "purchase" games. That's the option I took, and I was able to trade up from the couple of games I won and a few pieces of coal to a lot of games on my wishlist.

1-D_FTW

I'm tempted to get Gatling Gears at 50% off, any opinions?

All the EA/Origin account garbage on the games info page has me spooked...

EDIT - Stuff it bought... along with Serious Sam Double Pack and Faerie Solitaire.

I didn't realize that. Wishlist -1. Unless they run a daily deal some day at 75 percent off and my resistance is low that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom