• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Anyone know what the deal is with the costume quest achievement? apparently all you have to do is change your computer clock to the 25th and play it but that didn't work. I even turned the internet off just in case the internet detected it and auto fixed but it still didn't work.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I got it with one of the Indie Bundles, and I aree that it's a horrible game. It's kind of interesting, and the core concept of random Zelda isn't bad, but it's so slow and stiff that I find it annoying to play, and I really don't care for the story or graphics much in general. I was slightly queasy the entire time I played.

It's more of a casual-friendly Roguelike than a randomized Zelda game. It's got more in common with Dwarf Fortress and Nethack in the whole "losing is fun" vein than it does with the tightly balanced nature of a Zelda title.

And the queasiness is largely intentional. The game uses the grotesqueries of the physical form to impart a sense of ill-ease among its players and convey at part of its message about religious doctrine. It's actually quite effective, and I adore McMillan ahd Himsl for doing more in a low budget flash game than most AAA studio have managed to achieve in the past few years.

scitek

Anyone on my steam friend list who didn't get a gift of bionic commando rearmed, give me a heads up so I can sort it out:

rIb7q.png

I have missed one person it seems, damn new inventory :(

You're not on my friends list.

The Team of Heroes one or whatever that game is called seems pretty darn hard. I got to wave 4 by myself. Wave 20?!?! Yikes.

Im going for the Cargo one now. Did I buy this game just to get the achievement? DONT YOU JUDGE ME!

And yes, a thread dedicated to these would be grand.

Bebpo

Banned
Anomaly's is pretty easy. Just get to a point where presents start dropping (halfway through Mission 2, or probably anywhere in 3 or 4), and start grabbing them. If your units get blown up because you're too busy grabbing presents, just pause and hit "Restart at Checkpoint" - it keeps the count of how many you've grabbed. Took me like 5 minutes to get a big "SANTA LIKES YOU" and get the achievement.

...which unlocked a 50% off coupon for a game I already had. Sigh.

Cargo's is really easy.

Bunch of Heroes one is both glitched and a pain in the ass, definite no-go on that one.

Ok, so just need to know about EDGE and a description of how to get Cargo & BoH ones (if they're not self-explanatory) and there's enough for a day 1 thread OP.

Bebpo

Banned
Im going for the Cargo one now. Did I buy this game just to get the achievement? DONT YOU JUDGE ME!

No, you bought a game for a chance to win an even more $$$ game! And enjoy a fun game while doing so :) It's like the lottery except more expensive and more interactive!

SmithnCo

The Team of Heroes one or whatever that game is called seems pretty darn hard. I got to wave 4 by myself. Wave 20?!?! Yikes.

The Bunch of Heroes one seems impossible to do yourself, and I barely managed to do it online with four people, must have taken at least 30 minutes to an hour. The achievement didn't pop, either.

Downloaded Orcs Must Die! and it completed but wont launch. Am I borked and have to redownload @ 300KB/s?

Went into properties and validated the cache files (didnt know this existed) and it found 7 files that were corrupted. AWESOME FEATURE!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the odds of Skyrim and Arkham City getting daily deals?

Even though it is F2P is Spiral Knights a fun game?
It's practically dead at this point because the monetisation strategy is pretty lame. You need to use Energy to do anything, even enter a dungeon, and you only get 100 Gas Energy a day which recharges but can't be stockpiled. If you want to get anywhere you need to buy Crystal Energy which is permanent.

Shame because it's like classic Zelda with loot.

p.s. thanks Mabz :D

It's practically dead at this point because the monetisation strategy is pretty lame. You need to use Energy to do anything, even enter a dungeon, and you only get 100 Gas Energy a day which recharges but can't be stockpiled. If you want to get anywhere you need to buy Crystal Energy which is permanent.

Shame because it's like classic Zelda with loot.

p.s. thanks Mabz :D

I also think that tf2 hat cross promotion hurt them alot more than helped.

Jomjom

Banned
Just making sure, but we are supposed to get two gifts with that initial inventory check achievement right?

So far I only have a 33% coupon, but it seems like other people got a coupon and a game or at least 2 coupons.

inky

^ I though those gifts were the ones you can win through presents (?)

What's the odds of Skyrim and Arkham City getting daily deals?

Batman's got a pretty good chance but Skyrim is in the top 5 still, so I don't really see it being discounted at all. =/

Zzoram

Lame I got a 25% off coupon for Valve games, only for games already released. I have all the Valve games I want already.

Anyone want to trade for this?

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone know how to make a game do a clean install process? like installing direct x and all that stuff? That bunch of heroes game fucked some things up when it installed. Bit.Trip Runner won't play now.

Turfster

Does anyone know how to make a game do a clean install process? like installing direct x and all that stuff? That bunch of heroes game fucked some things up when it installed. Bit.Trip Runner won't play now.

Verifying the cache usually redownloads the exe and resets the installers.

Mimir

What are the RPG elements in Arx Fatalis like? I've been thinking about getting it, but I want to know how deep the RPG elements are.
If you've ever played the Ultima Underworld games, it's pretty similar. It's definitely an action RPG, but the RPG elements are fairly strong.

Dead Rising 2 is 50% off, along with Alice.

PLEASE BE DAILY DEALS SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE. Dead Rising 2 is NEVER 50% off, always 33%. I'm taking this as a sign that everything will turn out okay :D

D:

Capcom, pleeeease.

I pray to Cthulhu for The Last Remnant as well. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

Derrick01

Banned
Verifying the cache usually redownloads the exe and resets the installers.

Nope I tried that and it didn't download anything and I also deleted that blob file in steam. When I try to play it it does that installing microsoft vc package but when it's done nothing happens and my downloads resume.

Dead Rising 2 is 50% off, along with Alice.

PLEASE BE DAILY DEALS SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE. Dead Rising 2 is NEVER 50% off, always 33%. I'm taking this as a sign that everything will turn out okay :D

D:

Capcom, pleeeease.

I pray to Cthulhu for The Last Remnant as well. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

They're called crapcom for a reason.

Turfster

Nope I tried that and it didn't download anything and I also deleted that blob file in steam. When I try to play it it does that installing microsoft vc package but when it's done nothing happens and my downloads resume.

You can go into <steamdir>\steamapps\common\bit.trip runner\Dependencies and run the installers yourself.

Tenck

Willing to trade Counter Strike Source for coal :p

Valve gave me it, but I have no need for it since I have it already.

Derrick01

Banned
You can go into <steamdir>\steamapps\common\bit.trip runner\Dependencies and run the installers yourself.

Ah I think I know what it was. When I downloaded bunch of heroes it made me install OpenAL and when I was done with that game I deleted that as well. I didn't know bit.trip used it too though, I don't remember it showing up.

Willing to trade Counter Strike Source for coal :p

Valve gave me it, but I have no need for it since I have it already.

Can I have it for discount codes? I'll give you all the coal I get or have (as I don't know how to check)

:)

In case Mabz or anyone else wants this art for the OP or whatever, here it is for today's deals: http://media.steampowered.com/steam.../cc5c892134789f50b3062e1eaa31435126561050.jpg
Courtesy of the official Holiday Sales Community Group: http://steamcommunity.com/games/holidaysalecommunitygroup

Much higher res here: http://media.steampowered.com/apps/hs/SteamMonday19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom