• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not a daily (yet, hopefully), but has anyone played Tropico IV? Is it different from Tropico III in any significant way?
Another one, this related to today's deal: Fable franchise for $20. Yay or nay? (I'm the kind of cliche people who like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and a bit of The Witcher)
I really like the fable series, they take themselves less seriously than most games in the genre. Most of GAF hated 3 but I enjoyed the PC version. It has some weird, high level design decisions but the moment to moment interaction is a fun romp through a fairytale world.

is fable 3 even worth it at the discounted price? I kind of want to jump on it but i totally got bored of fable 2 after about 5 hours or so...

upandaway

Whoa. I didn't do anything yet and I already have a game (Aliens vs Predator) and a coupon. It's like they're just giving it away.

You can do stuff with it like trade for another game right? Dunno what I should do yet.

I think I won metro 2033. Does anyone want to trade for it?

EDIT: If I gifted this game will it show up in my inventory? I gifted the game that I bought for my dad and dont want to trade it lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Has anyone's gifts completely disappeared? I bought a copy of killing floor a few days ago, but it's not there at all.:/ including the other gift I was suppose to get for my achievement.

Turfster

My prize for getting the orcs must die achievement is apparently... *drumroll*
the disappearance of my portal 2 tab in my inventory. Thanks Valve!

Decado

Is Orcs Must Die! just as good/better on the PC than XBLA (any technical issues)? Would prefer to play on comfy couch, but I have enough console games and the price...the price...

Mairu

My steam inventory doesn't seem to want to show up. I only see the TF2 items & Spiral Knights stuff, not the steam tab at all

Darryl

Banned
I noticed some people were wondering why they haven't received gifts. I found this:

Gifts. For each Objective completed during the Holiday Sale Period, the entrant will have a one (1) in four (4) chance to receive a Gift from the Great Gift Pile. Completing one (1) Objective will produce one (1) chance to receive a Gift. If you complete an Objective and do not receive a Gift, you will receive a piece of Coal.

Maybe they just haven't added coal to peoples accounts, because no one seems to have those. I would imagine 3/4 odds to receive coal would produce more goal that we've been hearing about.

Is everyone supposed to receive two gifts? According to the wording in this objective, it seems that everyone gets one gift automatically, then another for checking the inventory.
Check your inventory - you've got a gift! - A Mobius Achievement: simply go to your Steam Inventory and see what you got, then we give you something else just for looking for that.
But in my inventory, there is still only one gift (50% off Valve games coupon).

Vamphuntr

I noticed some people were wondering why they haven't received gifts. I found this:

>Gifts. For each Objective completed during the Holiday Sale Period, the entrant will have a one (1) in four (4) chance to receive a Gift from the Great Gift Pile. Completing one (1) Objective will produce one (1) chance to receive a Gift. If you complete an Objective and do not receive a Gift, you will receive a piece of Coal.

So there's a chance many people might not even get gifts.

The coal or coupons show up in the inventory too so they should have something.

Is everyone supposed to receive two gifts? According to the wording in this objective, it seems that everyone gets one gift automatically, then another for checking the inventory.

But in my inventory, there is still only one gift (50% off Valve games coupon).

Same with me, pretty sure supposed to get 2.

Tenck

So tried to do the Bunch of Heroes achievement, and no luck, even though we survived the 21st wave, one more than expected, we got nothing :/

Alts

Wow. Seems that Steam believes that I have now completed none of the objectives, and nothing I do can get the "GET STARTED" prompt to go away.

Sblargh

Banned
Tropico IV is different in subtle ways from Tropico III. If you're looking for a full revamp, this isn't it. Most of the visual content is taken straight from Tropico III, and if you enjoy that game and are looking for a major step up this isn't it.

However, it does have a bit of fun with the faction system - you can now take missions from each faction in order to curry favor from each of them, as well as get some subtle rewards. Additionally there's the concept of a council which can both provide beneifts and detriments to your existing setup. Really, it's a refinement of what was there with Tropico III. If you're hungry for what is effectively a really great expansion pack it might be worth picking up at rock-bottom Steam prices. If you're looking for a complete reinvention of the series, you'll need to wait until Tropico V.

I am actually a huge fan of Tropico III, so this isn't bad news, I'm just wondering because they do look a lot alike, seems that even if I like Tropico III, I'll be buying kind of the same game (or an expansion pack a la Civilization that change a thing here and there).
I'll definetly buy it if goes daily, but I'm feeling it won't, so I'm having this internal debate now so I know what to do on the last day.

I really like the fable series, they take themselves less seriously than most games in the genre. Most of GAF hated 3 but I enjoyed the PC version. It has some weird, high level design decisions but the moment to moment interaction is a fun romp through a fairytale world.

Sounds good. I'm thinking of picking up just the first one (I don't have trouble with older games, I'm going through Morrowind for the first time right now). Is it good? (otoh, at $2.50, I should just stop being cheap and just take it already).

Damn, steam got even more fucked up for me.

When I go to The Great Gift Pile it has that "Get Started" button that I've already pressed, and when I press it again it just pops the window back up and I can't do anything.

Damn, steam got even more fucked up for me.

When I go to The Great Gift Pile it has that "Get Started" button that I've already pressed, and when I press it again it just pops the window back up and I can't do anything.

One step forward, and one step back...

I can now access the great pile page, but I still only have the first gift they give you even though I did two of the current achievements.

Ifrit

How much is BC:Rearmed? I remember seeing my brother play it Xbox. Looked cool.

Is one of the best downloadable games I've ever had the pleasure of playing and a perfect example of how to remake of a classic

And it's fucking 3 bucks! What a steal, holy shit. The game was worthy at the original $10

BUY IT, NOW!!!

KarmaCow

Made the mistake of restarting my computer and now I can't login. :(

How's Orcs Must Die! I want to get it just to do the achievement but would be nice for a good game as well

Highly recommend, though I wish there were more levels. At ~$5 with all the DLC it's a must buy.

How's Orcs Must Die! I want to get it just to do the achievement but would be nice for a good game as well

Fantastic game. Very fun mix of tower defense (which I usually don't like) and action.

Single player only is a bit disappointing, but it has leaderboards which can be addictive if you have friends that play it.

EVERYBODY FUCKING BUY ORCS MUST DIE. YES, IT'S A FUCKING AMAZING GAME THAT DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE IGNORED PAST THE DAMN ACHIEVEMENT. GET IT NOW. FUCK.

Artofwar420

Does anyone else have more achievements than prizes? I'm hoping the system is still catching up and my prizes are not lost forever.

Does anyone else have more achievements than prizes? I'm hoping the system is still catching up and my prizes are not lost forever.
It's only counting the ones for today. Did you miss that Achievements are tied to days? If you already have them, they'll be unlocked when the day they're on comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom