• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone on my steam friend list who didn't get a gift of bionic commando rearmed, give me a heads up so I can sort it out:

http://i.imgur.com/rIb7q.png[/IMG]

I have missed one person it seems, damn new inventory :(

Just caught this, you're very generous. I had it on my now deceased Xbox 360, it's a great game and I'll definitely be playing it. Thanks.

gblues

Banned
I got the Valve Complete 2011 Pack! Already have most of the big games, but free copies of Left 4 Dead 1&2 and Portal 2 = WINNING!

Except the follow-up gift was a 50% off any Valve-published game.. which I now own. :\

Exuro

Are we suppose to get an item for every achievement thing we do? I did the freebie and one achievement and only got the valve coupon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
10+ hours and counting, and I still don't have an inventory. It would be funny if they had somehow lost my inventory data. They'd have to gift me every game on Steam, because how would they know what I actually had in there?

TaroYamada

Just making sure, but we are supposed to get two gifts with that initial inventory check achievement right?

So far I only have a 33% coupon, but it seems like other people got a coupon and a game or at least 2 coupons.

Same boat as you, just got a blue 33% off a Valve title coupon. Never got anything else, my friend is having the same issue.

Zzoram

Same boat as you, just got a blue 33% off a Valve title coupon. Never got anything else, my friend is having the same issue.

Some people already had a spare copy of a Valve game that they forgot they owned, and it was moved to their Steam Inventory.

That's why I have Half-Life 2. I bought Half-Life 2 GOTY years ago then bought The Orange Box, so I got a second copy of Half-Life 2 that I never gave away and now it's in my Steam Inventory.

NBtoaster

In Australia at least, if you want an Arkham City discount you can buy the Warner Brothers pack, which includes Arkham City (+DLC) and is cheaper than the actual game (-$25 here). And you get every FEAR, Lego and the New LOTR game.

coopolon

I'm not really that hyped for this giveaway system. At least in the Summer sale despite most of the stuff being pretty worthless, I liked it because there were a few items I definitely wanted to get and just worked towards them. And a few things were awesome like Defense Grid DLC.

But with this, it's so random, and you're likely to get crap no one wants. Like I just got a 50% off Killing Floor. The game is 50% off right now. It will probably go cheaper on a daily. If someone wanted Killing Floor, why would they wait until after the sale to get it?

I read above someone got the Valve Complete Pack. That's pretty awesome, but since it's random, it's not much of an incentive (for me at least.)

I'm probably still going to participate (just for games I own or already wanted to buy) because it gives me motivation to try games I've never touched like Anomaly: Warzone Earth today. But I hope either the system gets better or they never repeat it.

Edit: Thinking about it, if I get one random game I'm mildly interested in I guess I'll be pretty happy. I just got cosmetic stuff from the last sale except for the DG DLC and was happy with that.

elektrixx

Banned
In Australia at least, if you want an Arkham City discount you can buy the Warner Brothers pack, which includes Arkham City (+DLC) and is cheaper than the actual game (-$25 here). And you get every FEAR, Lego and the New LOTR game.

A bit cheaper in the UK as well.

Are there any issues with getting publisher packs gifted from another region?

Mimir

I think missing items might actually be coal. I'm missing two items, and a friend is missing one. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting coal yet.

GAAH where is my steam inventory...I have a spiral knights inventory but nothing else

Its been like that for me TF2, and Spiral Knights and nothing else since the sale started for me. I think THose of us that haven't gotten anything or missing a few (it says I have 2 but yeah...) are getting coal. We were apparently bad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't get why this is so hard. The inventory isn't new, the "get rewards for achievements" thing isn't new, why is putting them together such a clusterfuck?

Chesskid1

Banned
Just caught this, you're very generous. I had it on my now deceased Xbox 360, it's a great game and I'll definitely be playing it. Thanks.

seconded. :)

i just redeemed it and had an option to put in my inventory, so obviously picked that, figuring it could unstick my inventory and i could finally view it, nope. will redeeem it when i can, if it shows up!

thanks MRORANGE. <3

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I never expected the inventory issues to take this long to sort out. Hope something's not terribly wrong.

I'm kind of starting to hope they've messed up and completely lost my (and others') inventory data. They'd have to gift us all sorts of stuff to make up for that. Who's to say I didn't have 100 games I was gonna gift to people for Christmas there?

Nah, I'm not really hoping that's the case, but it would be sort of funny.

Sblargh

Banned
I know it's not a daily (yet, hopefully), but has anyone played Tropico IV? Is it different from Tropico III in any significant way?
Another one, this related to today's deal: Fable franchise for $20. Yay or nay? (I'm the kind of cliche people who like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and a bit of The Witcher)

gdt

Hmm, I seem to have 6 TF2 items in my inventory. I've never even played TF2, and my brother only played 7ish hours.

Turfster

Hmm, I seem to have 6 TF2 items in my inventory. I've never even played TF2, and my brother only played 7ish hours.

You probably got a few with other games you bought on steam (I have about 10 of those). He might have picked up stuff in game too in 7 hours. I think I got about 10 items in about as many hours.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I know it's not a daily (yet, hopefully), but has anyone played Tropico IV? Is it different from Tropico III in any significant way?
Another one, this related to today's deal: Fable franchise for $20. Yay or nay? (I'm the kind of cliche people who like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and a bit of The Witcher)

Tropico IV is different in subtle ways from Tropico III. If you're looking for a full revamp, this isn't it. Most of the visual content is taken straight from Tropico III, and if you enjoy that game and are looking for a major step up this isn't it.

However, it does have a bit of fun with the faction system - you can now take missions from each faction in order to curry favor from each of them, as well as get some subtle rewards. Additionally there's the concept of a council which can both provide beneifts and detriments to your existing setup. Really, it's a refinement of what was there with Tropico III. If you're hungry for what is effectively a really great expansion pack it might be worth picking up at rock-bottom Steam prices. If you're looking for a complete reinvention of the series, you'll need to wait until Tropico V.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I got a coupon for 50% off The Wonderful End of the World...which is currently 75% off :(
What if they reduce the price by 50% in Jan/Feb then you get 50% off of that? It'll be the same price as the current deal! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom