• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterkajo

This steam gifts thing is pretty awesome. I did the Orcs Must Die and Anomaly achievments and got Altitude and AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity.

The other 2 gifts i got were a coal and 25% off one valve title (i wonder if it stacks with the 50% off already. And if a valve game goes 75% off can i get it for free?)

Haha... just like my little sister (she is learning to calculate with percentages in school right now): "But but... 75% + 25% is 100%"

But seriously, probably you can only use one coupon per purchase. But if a game would be 75% off and you can use a 25% off coupon you would get it pretty much free anyway.

ASilva

Neo Member
Yup, I've also tried to trade with someone and it worked! Sorry for the false warning :(

EDIT: ASilva, is not that easy. You'd only get 25% off the already deducted price.

For example, if a game costs 100$ and is 75% off, it'd cost 25$. Using the coupon would only reduce the 25% price, making it cost 25-25*0.25 = 18.75

Yea that makes more sense
Still a good deal, too bad i have almost evey Valve title i would want already.

StuBurns

Banned
I have a question about the gift achievements, maybe it's covered in the OP but I can't see it if it is. It says you can do them early, and you get the gifts when the day comes, but can you do them in retrospect too?

Artofwar420

I have a question about the gift achievements, maybe it's covered in the OP but I can't see it if it is. It says you can do them early, and you get the gifts when the day comes, but can you do them in retrospect too?

Yep, all those things are correct. Come tomorrow you can still do the 19th's achievements and get prizes.

Also, been playing Cargo! and that game is bananers fun. I'll defenitely keep playing.

masterkajo

Stupid question: A friend of mine got a game he already has and wanted !@#$%^&* to have it (I also own it though but he said I can have it). But it appears I can't get it gifted (because I already own it?). Only thing would be trading, I guess. True?

Flunkie

Banned
This steam gifts thing is pretty awesome. I did the Orcs Must Die and Anomaly achievments and got Altitude and AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity.

The other 2 gifts i got were a coal and 25% off one valve title (i wonder if it stacks with the 50% off already. And if a valve game goes 75% off can i get it for free?)

dat luck

XDDX

For people that still have nothing in their inventory, you can download Spiral knights and play it for a bit and the free stuff should show up. it worked for me. Much smaller download than Portal 2 and TF2.

Murkas

So I got the 50% off any Valve game but it says I get something just for looking at the first gift I got, I don't see the something anywhere.

Can any one explain?

jsrv

..So the Gundemonium collection games are going for 1.99 USD each now. Is it safe to assume these will probably not be part of the daily deals?

Nelo Ice

Banned
..So the Gundemonium collection games are going for 1.99 USD each now. Is it safe to assume these will probably not be part of the daily deals?

NFYmG.png

No matter how cheap theres no reason not to wait unless u don't care about the $$ savings and want to play it right now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It is never safe. That's why the golden rule of Steam sales is golden. I would even wait on Capcom games.

So the more coal you have, the better for the grand prize?
Yes. Although you have such a ridiculously small chance of winning that there really isn't a difference if you have ten or one. So just make sure you have at least one for the contest (for fun like a power ball ticket).

mrgone

They've got some winter achievements so it's still a possibilty, but I think there were summer ticket achievements for games that didn't have a daily deal either. The Gundemonium collection's only $5 and has all of them, too. I'm waiting until the bitter end :)

Vilifier

Neo Member
I got 25% off a valve game and two lumps of coal. So far I have completed Christmas achievements for 15 different games, so plenty more opportunities to win as and when they become the daily objectives.

Wish me luck :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would somebody mind helping me out with Singularity? It's not on the Aussie Steam store and my go-to helpers are away/offline.

Edit: Chriswok is on the case. :)

I was finally able to fix my inventory, so now all three tabs show. Essentially, all I needed to do was go into Team Fortress 2 and check on my items in there, and I also opened up the Mann Co. store, just in case.

I went back to my inventory in Steam, and now I can see what present I got earlier. Turns out I got a lump of coal and a coupon for 25% off any one Valve title (Valid 1/2/2012-3/1/2012). Really, considering the discounts in the current sale (50%-75%), the only way these coupons could be worth it is if they stack.

hylje

I was finally able to fix my inventory, so now all three tabs show. Essentially, all I needed to do was go into Team Fortress 2 and check on my items in there, and I also opened up the Mann Co. store, just in case.

I went back to my inventory in Steam, and now I can see what present I got earlier. Turns out I got a lump of coal and a coupon for 25% off any one Valve title.

Came to post this. Also my portal 2 items are being shown again.

DerelicteMB

Neo Member
So I got 33% off of any valve game. So I click on applicable games and Portal 2 is on the list. It's already 75% off and I don't own it yet. I add it to my cart, click purchase for myself, and when I get to the last page it doesn't even give me the option to use my coupon.
What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: never mind. just figured it out. It doesn't activate till Jan 2nd. :-/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I got 33% off of any valve game. So I click on applicable games and Portal 2 is on the list. It's already 75% off and I don't own it yet. I add it to my cart, click purchase for myself, and when I get to the last page it doesn't even give me the option to use my coupon.
What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: never mind. just figured it out. It doesn't activate till Jan 2nd. :-/

Yes, and only works until March 1st.

Edit: And ONLY on games released before Jan 2nd.

What am I doing wrong?

If your coupon is like mine, then it's only good after the sale is over (1/2/2012-3/1/2012). As I said before, these coupons could be worth it when compared to the current sale is if they could be stacked.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just found the coupon terms. Only one coupon per item.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275

So really, the only way these coupons could be worth it compared to the current discounts is if there's a post-holiday-sale sale on these games.

Omiee

i cant acces steam at work, so i was wondering could someone tell me the prices in euro;s for the publishers deals.

im interested in the valve codemasters and the 2k complete pack

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Btw, are the gifts now working for everyone? Still didnt get my gifts from the achievements.

Toma

Login on tf2 and switch around items in your backpack.

I mean... what? Seriously? No other option? Installing 10gb just to switch around items is a bit weird, but if I really need to do that. ._.

Toma

Well, you can also do it with Portal 2.

Which I'd need to buy first and THEN install whatever how much gb for the possibility of switching items I dont have. Oh man :( I wish it would already work with Dota. :/

But thanks for the answer! Pretty bad how Valve messed up this sale, especially considering the factors leading to everyone wasting huuuuuge amounts of bandwidth. Dunno if you were awake during the sale start, but Steam was not accessible for 3-4 hours straight.

Which I'd need to buy first and THEN install whatever how much gb for the possibility of switching items I dont have. Oh man :( I wish it would already work with Dota. :/

But thanks for the answer! Pretty bad how Valve messed up this sale, especially considering the factors leading to everyone wasting huuuuuge amounts of bandwidth. Dunno if you were awake during the sale start, but Steam was not accessible for 3-4 hours straight.
You can also do it with Spiral Knights, which is also free ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom