• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Thanks for the tip about TF2 fixing the inventory, I now have a lump of coal as well as a useless 33% off Valve voucher. Is there anywhere I can trade the voucher for something that doesn't suck? Like another lump of coal for example?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm wondering, the next daily deals starts in 6 hours and 20 minutes, but when I'm looking at Orcs Must Die or some other daily deal, it says that the deal lasts another 10 hours and 20 minutes.

Do we get a 4 hour window for previous day sales?

Never happened before. Wouldnt be surprised if thats buggy.

Guanoape

Neo Member
Picked up Portal 2 and Orcs Must Die!; still on the fence about Just Cause 2. I also got a 25% off Valve coupon and a lump of coal. My brother got a free copy of Day of Defeat: Source, so he can gift that to me!

MRORANGE

thread has got the SalsaShark Seal of Approval :lol

fhfSq.png

p.s. thanks :D
Thanks Mr. Orange for the gift earlier. :)
Cheers for the gift, MRORANGE. <3
Just caught this, you're very generous. I had it on my now deceased Xbox 360, it's a great game and I'll definitely be playing it. Thanks.
seconded. :)

i just redeemed it and had an option to put in my inventory, so obviously picked that, figuring it could unstick my inventory and i could finally view it, nope. will redeeem it when i can, if it shows up!

thanks MRORANGE. <3

no problem! hope you enjoy it :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I could see why you would complain about only getting Valve coupons, but if there are others then I think it's totally fine. The time restriction is a bit annoying - but coal has the same problem.

Well coal gets you a chance to win a great prize in the end, however abysmal small that chance is. But Valve coupons are really of no use.

(Not to mention you can turn coal into gifts)

I am not damning the achievement hunt per se, but giving out useless gifts is just.. weird. And doesn't do Valve a favor really.

Edit: They should have just called the Valve coupons blanks really, instead of gifts. Or just a message "You didnt win this time, but maybe next!". I wouldnt complain.

Ledsen

Picked up Portal 2 and Orcs Must Die!; still on the fence about Just Cause 2. I also got a 25% off Valve coupon and a lump of coal. My brother got a free copy of Day of Defeat: Source, so he can gift that to me!

Get just cause 2. Get it now. You inner child will weep if you don't.

Doomshine

Spiral Knights is also F2P and not as big as TF2. Might want to try that instead.

But have a chance to win big or make 7 coals into a gift... the question here is can you get a coupon doing it this way? Because I much rather have 7 entries in the big giveaway than another coupon!!

Good point, I'll give it a go.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Who wants to give Kirby some Coal! I'll give you Coupons! Will trade Portal 1 for some coal.

Wow pretty long ban. He must have done something serious :O

He trolled Battle Filed 3.

The Horror

I think he did it when the person was posting all the parts of the uber topic

Tenck

Who wants to give Kirby some Coal! I'll give you Coupons! Will trade Portal 1 for some coal.

He trolled Battle Filed 3.

The Horror

I think he did it when the person was posting all the parts of the uber topic

Explains it all. Thanks for the heads up.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just to clarify, I can go back to earlier objectives and still get the gifts right? I mean say a couple of days from now go back and do the objectives from the 19th or 20th etc ?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Try closing steam and starting it up again. Anther thing that is supposed to help is to try doing something like opening your TF2 back pack in game.

Tenck

Just to clarify, I can go back to earlier objectives and still get the gifts right? I mean say a couple of days from now go back and do the objectives from the 19th or 20th etc ?

I'm 99% sure we were able to do that during the summer sale.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, you can get them for the full length of the sale.

You know, I think valve is using this as a way to stress test their inventory system. It is likely getting pretty low marks.

All you guys complaining about Valve coupons are forgetting one very important thing:

Half Life 3.

You just got 50% off HL3 when it comes out. Or Left 4 Dead 3. Or whatever big game Valve releases next year. There will definitely be some big Valve game and you now get it for half price on launch day.

Tenck

Another lump of coal (4)... yay?

Coal is awesome. I already got 4 pieces.

All you guys complaining about Valve coupons are forgetting one very important thing:

Half Life 3.

You just got 50% off HL3 when it comes out. Or Left 4 Dead 3. Or whatever big game Valve releases next year. There will definitely be some big Valve game and you now get it for half price on launch day.

Can only use them till March of next year. Doubt HL3 and L4D3 will be released by then.

Zzoram

Half Life 3.

Coupons only work for games released BEFORE January 2nd, 2012

Half Life 3.

Or more realistically dota2.

Coupons only work for games released BEFORE January 2nd, 2012

ooooh.....

Half Life 3.

You missed out on one very important thing too. They expire on March 1st. So unless Valve announces and subsequently releases it within 3 months that's kind of pointless. :p

Half Life 3.

You are forgetting that it is valid until march, on only the titles that are available already.

Well, not forgetting, just not noticing.

Unless Half Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 has already gotten a stealth Steam release.

EDIT: Well beaten, but it should be clear for him now.

Euphor!a

Banned
How are people getting multiple pieces of coal without trading? I event description makes it sound like any person can only get 1.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, crafted 7 pieces of Coal, and I got...

wellthatsagame.png

Not bad, not bad.

You missed out on one very important thing too. They expire on March 1st. So unless Valve announces and subsequently releases it within 3 months that's kind of pointless. :p

You miss the other important part, no valid on games released after January 2nd.

You are forgetting that it is valid until march, on only the titles that are available already.

Well, not forgetting, just not noticing.

Unless Half Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 has already gotten a stealth Steam release.

EDIT: Well beaten, but it should be clear for him now.

Ok, never mind. The valve coupons suck. At least there is a chance portal 2 could become cheaper by march and I could gift it.

masterkajo

Ok, crafted 7 pieces of Coal, and I got...

wellthatsagame.png

Not bad, not bad.

You miss the other important part, no valid on games released after January 2nd.

So crafting 7 pieces of coal gives you a good gift? Like no coupons or Half Life* or Portals? Then maybe you can only get those "Gift: Skyrim" things found in the inventory buy crafting using 7 coals. Off to get coals now then.

Tenck

So crafting 7 pieces of coal gives you a good gift? Like no coupons or Half Life* or Portals? Then maybe you can only get those "Gift: Skyrim" things found in the inventory buy crafting using 7 coals. Off to get coals now then.

Pretty sure you can still get coupons when crafting the coal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

They can give games, no clue on the odds of getting a game over a coupon. If we are lucky, you can only get a game from 7 things of coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom