• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What reason do we have to log into TF2 and swap around items? What gifts are glitched?

The ones you didnt get from the achievements.

Fast thread is moving fast. Geez.

It sure is tame now. 12 hours ago it was crazy.

Edit: Page 55 had 50 posts in a bit over an hour, Page 5 had 50 posts in 5 minutes.

Zzoram

The ones you didnt get from the achievements.

But I thought all the achievements are active but we don't get gifts until they are highlighted as a daily activity.

Are you talking about those achievements? Or the ones currently highlighted today? Or the one freebie?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But I thought all the achievements are active but we don't get gifts until they are highlighted as a daily activity.

Are you talking about those achievements? Or the ones currently highlighted today? Or the one freebie?

The achievements from today. I did four of them and didnt get any gift so far. And there is a freebie? You mean other than the first gift everyone was getting?

When I went to bed, people were discussing Bunch of Heroes might become a freebie since the achievement is bugged.

I can also confirm that if you're having issues, Spiral Knights will show your missing items in your inventory.

Thanks to the guy with the Travis Touchdown avatar earlier for mentioning it. 2 coals for me (had gotten Counter-Strike: Source as a gift, but was missing one).

masterkajo

The achievements from today. I did four of them and didnt get any gift so far. And there is a freebie? You mean other than the first gift everyone was getting?

I too had problems at first. But after logging in to TF2 (Portal2 or Spiral Knights) it worked. Can see all now. A bit inpractical, but at least it works. And all items I didn't see (saw 2 and had 2 missing) turned out to be coal. Just a heads up.

scitek

Some people's freebies didn't show up in their inventory. In order to get them to show, you have to open a game with a backpack, OR apparently just get another achievement from that day, as I just got the Orcs Must Die achievement and my stuff showed up. 50% off Puzzle Chronicles and 33% off a Valve game.

Toma

I too had problems at first. But after logging in to TF2 (Portal2 or Spiral Knights) it worked. Can see all now. A bit inpractical, but at least it works. And all items I didn't see (saw 2 and had 2 missing) turned out to be coal. Just a heads up.

Yeah, everything I read today seems to be in the direction of missing gifts=coals.

Meh. I'll see in a minute.

got max payne 1 & 2 and orcs must die
considering fable1, but dont think will ever play it (beat it years ago)

got 25% voucher and 2 coals.

Toma

I'd rather they not give out useless Valve coupons and give more coal.

Nooo, I want the biggest collection of useless Valve coupons in the world!

Edit:
Eck, got the Valve coupon AFTER I picked up Portal 2. Still a damn fine deal though.

You cant use the coupons in this sale anyway, only valid from Jan 2nd to Mach 1st, and only on games released before an 2nd.

Ha! Got you, Zzoram!

Zzoram

Eck, got the Valve coupon AFTER I picked up Portal 2. Still a damn fine deal though.

Valve coupons aren't usable until the Holiday Sale is over, and they won't give you more off than the daily deals anyways. That's why they're useless.

The only exception is the exceedingly rare golden coupons that stack with other sales.

Toma

So, spiral knights. Where is the inventory?

la_briola

I got a 33% discount for any valve published game. If I now want to buy portal 2, which is already -75%, can I use the coupon? Do those discounts stack?

Toma

I got a 33% discount for any valve published game. If I now want to buy portal 2, which is already -75%, can I use the coupon? Do those discounts stack?

See 2 and 3 posts above you.

Zzoram

No, the coupons are useless because they're for after the Holiday Sale ends, and won't be as good as the daily deals for the Holiday sale. It says so in the coupon description.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I got 50% off assassins creed brotherhood, Lame.

Orc must die does seem fun, Will add that to my backlog of shit to actually play instead of just buying and saying i own it.

Toma

Well ya, that is true I suppose. Too bad they don't let us trade coupons in for coal.

Yeah, that would work. But I guess we are supposed to hang on them and gift them away to any friend that doesnt use Steam yet. But why anyone should start using Steam AFTER the holiday is a mystery to me.

Obviously we should all get the whole Steam catalogue gifted to make us happy.

... Obviously you seem to like the coupons. Want to trade? I'd be satisfied with any small game really, or a coupon with % on a game thats not on sale. :) Hook me up!

Edit:
To clarify, I really loved last years achievement hunt. There was nothing wrong with earning a bit every day to get a DLC for free of a game you liked. You only needed to play for the amount of time you saw fit for the stuff you wanted. That was super neat. This year however, its random coupon codes with which you cant even do ANYTHING. I am not complaining about not getting super awesome stuff, but if I am getting something "gifted" already.. even socks from my grandmother would be way more appreciated than a 33% Valve off coupon. Who is seriously going to use that? I'd tell any friend to wait for a sale anyway to start with Steam.

To clarify, I really loved last years achievement hunt. There was nothing wrong with earning a bit every day to get a DLC for free of a game you liked. You only needed to play for the amount of time you saw fit for the stuff you wanted. That was super neat. This year however, its random coupon codes with which you cant even do ANYTHING. I am not complaining about not getting super awesome stuff, but if I am getting something "gifted" already.. even socks from my grandmother would be way more appreciated than a 33% Valve off coupon. Who is seriously going to use that? I'd tell any friend to wait for a sale anyway to start with Steam.

hahaha a rather damning review! I agree somewhat.

Toma

So, Bunch of heroes worth buying?

No. Super bugged, achievement doesnt even activate. And game has been abandoned by developers.

hahaha a rather damning review! I agree somewhat.

I dont even get how people can defend these coupons. I mean in pure, rational and sober sincerity: What would anyone use these Valve 33% (or even down to 10%) coupon codes for? I was thinking to gift it to a friend who hasnt started with Steam yet, but if I'd consider that I'd just hook him up during sale time with more than 33% off of Valve games.

And this sounds like the definition of "useless" to me, doesnt it?

masterkajo

Yeah, that would work. But I guess we are supposed to hang on them and gift them away to any friend that doesnt use Steam yet. But why anyone should start using Steam AFTER the holiday is a mystery to !@#$%^&*.

... Obviously you seem to like the coupons. Want to trade? I'd be satisfied with any small game really, or a coupon with % on a game thats not on sale. :) Hook !@#$%^&* up!

Edit:
To clarify, I really loved last years achievement hunt. There was nothing wrong with earning a bit every day to get a DLC for free of a game you liked. You only needed to play for the amount of time you saw fit for the stuff you wanted. That was super neat. This year however, its random coupon codes with which you cant even do ANYTHING. I am not complaining about not getting super awesome stuff, but if I am getting something "gifted" already.. even socks from my grandmother would be !@#$%^&* more appreciated than a 33% Valve off coupon. Who is seriously going to use that? I'd tell any friend to wait for a sale anyway to start with Steam.

Yeah! I too much rather had that we get a coal each time like with the tickets in the summer sale and then trade in 3 or more coals for games or DLC. If you don't trade it in you have a greater chance at winning at the end but by trading it in you receive something for sure.
Gaben, keep your coupons!

You are supposed to get two items right? I only got one. The one you get for viewing your inventory does not appear

Check TF2, Portal2 or Spiral Knights inventory in game. After that your items should appear in your steam inventory.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
No. Super bugged, achievement doesnt even activate. And game has been abandoned by developers.

Thanks, will steer clear. But the achievement being bugged wouldn't be that much of a concern for me if the game itself was good, too bad they seem to have abandoned the game though.

I dont even get how people can defend these coupons. I mean in pure rational sincerity: What would you use these Valve 33% (or even down to 10%) coupon codes for? I was thinking to gift it to a friend who hasnt started with Steam yet, but if I'd consider that I'd just hook him up during sale time with more than 33% off of Valve games.

Its the limited time frame on it that annoys me. Can only use after the sale (fair enough otherwise you'd get insane discounts), but can't be used on games released after the sale has finished, and has to be used before March?

ER... ok.

Ah, should have checked this out before buying the four pack yesterday. CAUGHT IN THE MOMENT, DAMMIT!

Toma

Are we sure there are only Valve coupons?

I am not complaining about other coupons. I'd gladly take any of them over the Valve coupons. I am only complaining about those.

But yeah, there are others. I'd even take coal instead.

Doomshine

So to get my steam tab to show in the inventory I'm going to have to reinstall TF2? I don't even have Portal 2 and still have that tab.

...that's going to take forever.

Wortany

I'm wondering, the next daily deals starts in 6 hours and 20 minutes, but when I'm looking at Orcs Must Die or some other daily deal, it says that the deal lasts another 10 hours and 20 minutes.

Do we get a 4 hour window for previous day sales?

derFeef

I am not complaining about other coupons. I'd gladly take any of them over the Valve coupons. I am only complaining about those.

But yeah, there are others. I'd even take coal instead.

I could see why you would complain about only getting Valve coupons, but if there are others then I think it's totally fine. The time restriction is a bit annoying - but coal has the same problem.

masterkajo

So to get my steam tab to show in the inventory I'm going to have to reinstall TF2? I don't even have Portal 2 and still have that tab.

...that's going to take forever.

Spiral Knights is also F2P and not as big as TF2. Might want to try that instead.

I could see why you would complain about only getting Valve coupons, but if there are others then I think it's totally fine. The time restriction is a bit annoying - but coal has the same problem.

But have a chance to win big or make 7 coals into a gift... the question here is can you get a coupon doing it this way? Because I much rather have 7 entries in the big giveaway than another coupon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom