• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Who wants to give Kirby some Coal! I'll give you Coupons! Will trade Portal 1 for some coal.

He trolled Battle Filed 3.

The Horror

I think he did it when the person was posting all the parts of the uber topic

And he plays it quite vigorously ;p ily salsa

So crafting 7 pieces of coal gives you a good gift? Like no coupons or Half Life* or Portals? Then maybe you can only get those "Gift: Skyrim" things found in the inventory buy crafting using 7 coals. Off to get coals now then.
Come on, just because he got a game after crafting coal it doesn't mean that you could get a coupon (or a Valve game).

Do we know if achievements earned early unlock when they become dailies?
Yup, it's always like that in every Valve sale. I got my coal for my Orcs Must Die! achievement.

I could see my gifts and tried opening Spiral Knights, selling an item to a NPC and everything worked! Thanks for the tips guys.

Also coal and 33% valve discount :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ok so Orcs must Die might just be one of my top 10 games of 2011 :eek:

err 2011... it's 2011 corky.

Danj

Well, you can trade gifts you already have.

TRADING PORTAL 1 FOR COAL.

Something like that.

Someone? Also a 33% Valve coupon!

I have that exact combination of items, but who would want to trade even for a copy of Portal 1? Everyone already owns it. And as we've already figured out, the Valve coupons are worthless.

derFeef

Ok so Orcs must Die might just be one of my top 10 games of 2012 :eek:

It took me by surprise when I booted it up yesterday for the first time. It's incredibly well done and polished. Not to mention the gamplay is superb as well. Can't wait for what those guys do next. (AoE: Online is well done too)

Idk maybe I'm getting old but there's nothing in particular that I want this time around. Like there's no deal I'm waiting for or anything so I'm less worried about how much I'm going to spend this time. Whereas last time I was like "OMFG these 10 games are going to go on sale and I WILL HAVE TO BUY ALL OF THEM + MORE!!!" Hopefully my passiveness doesn't backfire and ends up costing me a lot more lols.
The backlog, the fact some of them may get cheaper and/or you own all the good deals aready are all contributors. Chirstmas isn't as exciting as when you were a kid.

Blocks that Matter is loads of fun for me. Buy it if you haven't already. It's only $1.25
This deal is making me regret buying a Humble Bundle. Yes, thats right. I bought the alphafund one only for that game and paid more. Oh well at least I got 2 other games I don't care about too.

Edit: Thinking about it, if I get one random game I'm mildly interested in I guess I'll be pretty happy. I just got cosmetic stuff from the last sale except for the DG DLC and was happy with that.
I think Valve are going with a "you don't get everything you want for christmas but the randomness is fun" except its never fun when it comes to the internet as you'll hear about someone who got better than you (or a troll for the lolz) and envy them. Personally, I'm expecting free Portal 2 after I've paid for it as life seems spitefuls like that. Well at least its useful unlike 50% off flight Control HD.

valve is trolling t_t
Valve is experimenting. They try new stuff in sales a market test. The test this time is coupons with the coal and games as a carrot. They can't wait to see if anyone will actually use them. To which I say they've much yet to learn; how compaines like Tesco manage coupons is personalised ones based off purchase history.

Wait, so Revenge of the Titans has FIVE christmas achievements?

http://steamtreasurehunt.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Objectives

I really doubt they are all giving christmas gifts.

Edit: I just realized they're all from the same level.
This makes it look like games with multiple achievements you'll have to earn them all for the present. *goes to Beat Hazard and gets ready to unplug ethenet cable...no, wait fi I do that the achievement won't sync, right?*

wilflare

thank you JJB for Fallout New Vegas <3
thank you MRORANGE for Bionic Commando: REARMED <3

btw anyone knows if the cheevos are limited to today?
thinking or not to get CARGO and the TwoTribes Pack for cheevos

thank you JJB for Fallout New Vegas <3
thank you MRORANGE for Bionic Commando: REARMED <3

btw anyone knows if the cheevos are limited to today?
thinking or not to get CARGO and the TwoTribes Pack for cheevos

I believe like the past events, you can get the achievements later.

Tomodachi

I had no coal 10 minutes ago, then I unlocked the EDGE achievement and now I have two. Does it mean I had one previously but it just didn't show or that you can get more than one piece of coal per achievement?

masterkajo

I had no coal 10 minutes ago, then I unlocked the EDGE achievement and now I have two. Does it mean I had one previously but it just didn't show or that you can get more than one piece of coal per achievement?

You already had it but it didn't show up. Apparently getting achievements fixes it now or loading up a game with and ingame inventory.

Tomodachi

You already had it but it didn't show up. Apparently getting achievements fixes it now or loading up a game with and ingame inventory.
Damn, I was hoping the latter :(
Thanks anyway (
so I got a lousy piece of coal for my 3.50€ spent on EDGE that I already had on PSP and iOS AND the time spent unlocking the achievement, you got me Gabe Q__Q
).

Almost there...

14/20 Christmas objectives completed.

Completed:
Jamestown
Orcs Must Die!
Super Meat Boy (1/2)
Trine
Frozen Synapse
Rock of Ages
Total War 2: Shogun
Killing Floor
Counter-Strike: Source
BIT.TRIP. RUNNER (3/3)
Team Fortress 2
Day of Defeat: Source

To go:
Costume Quest
Football Manager 2012
Left 4 Dead 2
The Binding of Isaac
Magicka

Kammie

It seems Amazon is price-matching most of the games that are on Sale on Steam.... almost every single game is the same price, daily deal or not. I wonder if the daily deal ones will remain at the same price for more than just one day... may be useful if someone misses something. You can also buy games not available in your region like this, by just using a U.S. billing address.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
My inventory finally started working. 1 Piece of coal and a 25% Valve voucher.

rossonero

Anybody having any problems with logging into Steam? I've been getting "Steam - Error, Could not connect to Steam network" for an hour now. Since I had my BSOD more precisely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The backlog, the fact some of them may get cheaper and/or you own all the good deals aready are all contributors. Chirstmas isn't as exciting as when you were a kid.

This deal is making me regret buying a Humble Bundle. Yes, thats right. I bought the alphafund one only for that game and paid more. Oh well at least I got 2 other games I don't care about too.

I think Valve are going with a "you don't get everything you want for christmas but the randomness is fun" except its never fun when it comes to the internet as you'll hear about someone who got better than you (or a troll for the lolz) and envy them. Personally, I'm expecting free Portal 2 after I've paid for it as life seems spitefuls like that. Well at least its useful unlike 50% off flight Control HD.

Valve is experimenting. They try new stuff in sales a market test. The test this time is coupons with the coal and games as a carrot. They can't wait to see if anyone will actually use them. To which I say they've much yet to learn; how compaines like Tesco manage coupons is personalised ones based off purchase history.

This makes it look like games with multiple achievements you'll have to earn them all for the present. *goes to Beat Hazard and gets ready to unplug ethenet cable...no, wait fi I do that the achievement won't sync, right?*
Check the Wiki on the things, there is a link to a program that lets you kill TCP/IP connections. Kill the one for the game, the music will stop, die once, you won't respawn (You simply won't when there is no music playing), walk away for 20 minutes. Take you your DS, read a book, watch TV. Because the game has to be left as the primary object on the screen for it to work. (If you have a second monitor, you can watch a video on one, and have the game on the other)

Oh my god... I never thought Dino D-Day would be that bad. I can't even find a server where people are playing the snowy level, there are only 2 servers with players right now :(

Does anyone want to get the achievement right now? I can't wait to uninstall that POS.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got more Coal, got a copy of Brink. Now I double wish I never paid $60 for it.

Hit me up in the trading topic if you want to actually trade something for it.

I love The Binding of Isaac, but this achievement is bullshit. Random bullshit = bullshit!
Think what earning it gets you as well. Useless coupon, game or coal all at random. I'd saythat and Poker Night fit the theme well.

It seems Amazon is price-matching most of the games that are on Sale on Steam.... almost every single game is the same price, daily deal or not. I wonder if the daily deal ones will remain at the same price for more than just one day... may be useful if someone misses something. You can also buy games not available in your region like this, by just using a U.S. billing address.
Could be handy. If they operate like Amazon UK as soon as rival switch their prices back Amazon will follow (sometimes when Amazon run out of stock the cheap price stays for longer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom