• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

Didn't work for me. Damn!

Have these tricks actually helped anyone with a completely broken and empty inventory (looking like this), or just those who have been missing some stuff but not all?

I have mostly been missing stuff, but my inventory did look like that at one point. Like I said, try Spiral Knights if you haven't. It's a fairly quick process.

Going to keep a running tally...

Day One:
Holiday Objectives: 4/6
Purchases: Puzzle Dimension, Edge, Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Gifts: Not showing up in my inventory yet. I'll try the inventory trick when I get home if it's still not working by then.

Total Expenditures: $11.97
Total Savings: TBD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here is what I did:
If my hand had a king in it, Check/call. Do not do anything else, or they may fold. Just check and call.
If my hand didn't have a king it, fold and skip to next hand.

Precisely my chosen method, after my faux pas. When I went all in, I assumed somebody would join me.

ArjanN

Has anyone got Portal 2 as a gift from this promotion yet? That would tempt me into doing some of these achievements. I don't have much faith in winning anything via coal, pessimistic as that may sound :p

Oh, and if anyone wants my 25% off Valve games coupon, they're welcome to it (PM me).

Do a bunch of achievements and then trade whatever you get for it for Portal 2 instead of just giving it away. :p

Except nobody anywhere wants coupons. The games are cheaper now than they will be with coupons later.

If they were all golden coupons, sure.

But really TF2 hats would be more useful.

Until the event is over and then everyone wants coupons.

Artofwar420

Oh, this should be in the OP likely. The rules have odds:

Gifts. For each Objective completed during the Holiday Sale Period, the entrant will have a one (1) in four (4) chance to receive a Gift from the Great Gift Pile. Completing one (1) Objective will produce one (1) chance to receive a Gift. If you complete an Objective and do not receive a Gift, you will receive a piece of Coal.

Though I think there is two types of gift, which the rules don't let on. The normal pool, for completing each objective, and the crafted kind, which I think is guaranteed a game.

I believe it's guaranteed not to be more coal, but not necessarily a game.

I own multiple accounts because of a TF2 Lan room I set up at a youth Centre.

I'm upto the 6th account and so far I've had:
  • 7 33%-50% of Vavle Codes
  • 3 Coal
  • 1 50% Brink
  • 1 HL2 and Lost Coast bundle
  • 1 50% Multiwinia
  • 1 50% Id Software

The 33% codes are useful I guess, could put the towards a new set of games.

coopolon

Until the event is over and then everyone wants coupons.

Want to trade for my 50% off Killing Floor coupon then (and all future coupons)? You can shore up on them and make a killing when everyone wants coupons to buy games at a higher price then they could right now.

Firebrand

Weirdness. I got gifted Orcs Must Die, put it in my inventory, then clicked the "Unpack gift" button but nothing seemed to be happening.

Now I have the game both in my games library as well as in my inventory as a giftable copy.

Gowans

Orcs must die is really tempting me, so cheap but I don't have any time to play it and normally keep my PC games for Multi.

Guess I'll wait till the last hour to make up my mind.

As for my 50% off Valve code, yeah I'll give that away in the new year as it's after the sale.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have so many Indie Bundle extra keys (at least one game from each indie bundle/indie royale). I wish I could add them to my Gift list and trade them easily.

Weirdness. I got gifted Orcs Must Die, put it in my inventory, then clicked the "Unpack gift" button but nothing seemed to be happening.

Now I have the game both in my games library as well as in my inventory as a giftable copy.

So what you're trying to say is you have a copy for yourself and me?

:p

I have so many Indie Bundle extra keys (at least one game from each indie bundle/indie royale). I wish I could add them to my Gift list and trade them easily.

Wait, can you gift extra copies of games you own in the indie bundles? Most bundles dont let you do that. If you can that makes those bundles WAY more attractive.

Edit: Nevermind. Thought you were talking about the Indie STEAM sales bundles.

Sonic Generation for 75% off plz.

not going to bother with the extra achievements if i don't own the game unless it's good. only have 2 achievements done so far. D:

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait, can you gift extra copies of games you own in the indie bundles? Most bundles dont let you do that.
No, I actually had the games the Indie bundle was giving. Like, all of them.

The Voxatron Indie Bundle, for instance, gives one single key that gives you Crayon Physics Deluxe, Aquaria and Dungeons of Dredmor. I already have all these games. So I have a valid unused key that I wish I could add to my Gift inventory.

THe Indie Royale Bundle, one of the keys was for Eets. I already have that game too. Same deal.

Darkhadou

Neo Member
I cheked my Arsenal/ Inventory in Spiral Knights and that fixed my Orks Must Die problem.

Got a ruddy lump of coal for it. Glad I got a lot of the games/ achievements already for the games that are coming up too =D

God bless you humble indie bundle.

Yanksfan

Sonic Generation for 75% off plz.

not going to bother with the extra achievements if i don't own the game unless it's good. only have 2 achievements done so far. D:

Same, I know I am not going to win anything, so I will shoot for them if I got the game, have the time and want an excuse to check it out. Otherwise, I could care less.

It worked last night for Orcs Must Die, I bought the game during the Turkey Day sale and had yet to boot it up. Booted it up, got the achievement in like 10 minutes and probably played for another 30 or so. Really enjoyed playing it and I will probably be going back to it tonight.

WHOEVER is missing gifts, all you have to do is either get another gift or open a game that has an inventory (Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 or Spiral Knights) and check the inventory in said game.

After you do that, your missing gifts (pieces of coal) will show up.

I started up spiral knights but I am unsure how to check my inventory in the game. I pressed shift-tab and then pressed achievements and then inventory but nothing shows up still.

Kammie

It seems I got Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Day of Defeat: Source as gifts. I was planning to buy Prince of Persia, so this is cool.

MRORANGE

your pretty much screwed if you got a Valve voucher:

Newkt.png

Derrick01

Banned
So I skipped the last 5 pages but all I have to do to get my third gift to show up is start up TF2 or Portal 2? My inventory shows up fine, but I'm missing either the gift for starting this event, or the gift for checking your inventory. I only have 2 out of 3 (orcs must die being the other)

So how does gifting work? I've never done it before. I was thinking of gifting a couple copies of Costume Quest.
When you buy something, it asks if you want it for yourself or to use as a gift. From there, you can either send it directly to someone's e-mail address or store it in your account as a Steam item. If you do that, you can still send it to someone's address at a later date, or send it directly to their Steam account, OR you can do a Steam trade and trade the gift copy to someone else as a Steam item.

Wanace

I'm looking for a strategy game to play. Hopefully some good ones will be on sale. Something 4x like Civ or MOO, or a war strategy game, or a World building game like Sim City.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm avoiding all this coal and coupon nonsense because it's too much trouble, I have a 33% off Valve coupon if anyone wants it, my Steam username is Sarpedon.

Have these achievements so far

And Yet It Moves
Atom Zombie Smasher
AudioSurf
Bastion
Bit.Trip Beat (2/2)
Bit.Trip Runner (3/3)
Frozen Synapse
Hoard
Jamestown
Orcs Must Die
Revenge of the Titans (1/5)
Sequence
Super Meat Boy (2/2)
Team Fortress 2

Games I have where I plan on getting them:

Cave Story+
Dino D Day
The other 4 in Revenge of the Titans
Sanctum
SpaceChem
The Binding of Isaac
Trine

Games I'll probably buy for achievements

AaaaaaAA!!! For the Awesome
Dungeon Defenders
Flight Control HD
Magicka
Poker Night
Psychonauts
Renegade Ops
Rock of Ages

Anyone have any other recommendations of games that are good and also have holiday cheevos?

MNC

Ugh, people creating accounts for coal :/ That's pretty lame. And it takes ridiculous amounts of time, wtf. Creating an account on a new email address, trading coal with yourself, etc... Rubbish.

How did you already get 7 pieces of coal?

I'm still missing one gift: I have 4 achievements, but only 3 gifts.

you can trade for them, or have multiple accounts

Ugh, people creating accounts for coal :/ That's pretty lame. And it takes ridiculous amounts of time, wtf. Creating an account on a new email address, trading coal with yourself, etc... Rubbish.

I believe you need at least own one purchased game to trade.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

You can actually just use the same email.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but don't they disallow accounts without paid games on them to give in trades with other users? Much like free TF2 account can't give items?

I'm looking for a strategy game to play. Hopefully some good ones will be on sale. Something 4x like Civ or MOO, or a war strategy game, or a World building game like Sim City.

I'm avoiding all this coal and coupon nonsense because it's too much trouble, I have a 33% off Valve coupon if anyone wants it, my Steam username is Sarpedon.

You might want to look into galactic civilizations 2. I love that game more than civ and its pretty close to MOO.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, my inventory finally started working! Yay!

However, my gifts are disappointing. One coupon for 25% off any Valve title and two coals. Do we know if coals definitely give games when converted, or can they also give worthless coupons?

Also, the games I got traded yesterday can't be unpacked. Clicking the button does nothing.

gdt

Okay, so got the Orcs Must Die winter cheevo, what do I do now? Never participated in any of the themed achievement things.

Tambini

Sorry if this has been asked already but, do we know if we can complete achievments from other days and still unlock the gift?

Darryl

Banned
However, my gifts are disappointing. One coupon for 25% off any Valve title and two coals. Do we know if coals definitely give games when converted, or can they also give worthless coupons?

you can get coupons. there's also gold coupons, which aren't entirely useless as they can be used during the sale.

Sorry if this has been asked already but, do we know if we can complete achievments from other days and still unlock the gift?

you can complete the achievement but i believe you won't get your gift until the day the achievement releases

Mr_eX

Orcs must die is really tempting me, so cheap but I don't have any time to play it and normally keep my PC games for Multi.

Guess I'll wait till the last hour to make up my mind.

As for my 50% off Valve code, yeah I'll give that away in the new year as it's after the sale.

I'm in the same boat as you. Orcs Must Die looks pretty great and it's so cheap but I have 50 billion other games to play and it isn't a must play for me. Really the only games I'm looking to get are Hard Reset and Alice Madness Returns.

I got AI Wars: Fleet Command along with my Valve coupon, if you want it it's yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom