• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

maybe I shouldn't wait for a sale on Skyrim, I just realized that I can get a retail copy of it in my region way cheaper than the digital version is. I think I can get it for around $35-$40

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've got all but the Bunch of Heroes objective, only 4 gifts. I need my 5th one! (Got the Cargo one and nothing happened).

WHOEVER is missing gifts, all you have to do is either get another gift or open a game that has an inventory (Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 or Spiral Knights) and check the inventory in said game.

After you do that, your missing gifts (pieces of coal) will show up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How do you trade coupons? Is there a trade topic?

Yeah, but good luck. The Valve ones are basically worthless.

The only coupons I have that I think may be worth something is 50% off LA Nore, and 25% off the new Lord of the Rings game.

Volcynika

WHOEVER is missing gifts, all you have to do is either get another gift or open a game that has an inventory (Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 or Spiral Knights) and check the inventory in said game.

After you do that, your missing gifts (pieces of coal) will show up.

Hm. Will do so after work! I didn't see that posted earlier, just checked the past few pages, sorry if I missed it. :x

Darkhadou

Neo Member
^ Thanks, been ages since I played Spiral Knights but can I access the inventory from the get go or do I have to progress a bit before doing so?

Still not got my prize for the Orks Must Die 'Deck the Halls' achievement FFS =/

Same here and the trick of checking my TF2 inventory isn't fixing it. I figured I'd just wait until I got another and see if they all update together before worrying too much about it. There's still plenty of time.

Looks like people are already getting golden coupons (which you can use right now and add to the existing discounts). I found this on SPUF

330x192

Also, I've already heard of people abusing the coal system creating multiple accounts and getting coal or even games. One guy said he got Portal 2 for free on his 12th account :/ I sure hope Valve will notice and take action.

Looks like people are already getting golden coupons (which you can use right now and add to the existing discounts). I found this on SPUF

330x192

Also, I've already heard of people abusing the coal system creating multiple accounts and getting coal or even games. One guy said he got Portal 2 for free on his 12th account :/ I sure hope Valve will notice and take action.

I read on SPUF you needed 10 games to be able to sign up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I read on SPUF you needed 10 games to be able to sign up.

You need 1 game.

My bet, they ether are buying tons of Humble Bundle keys at $.01 each, or maybe getting Indie Galga keys (Give you 5 keys for $.01, but a pain to deal with), OR they got a ton of copies of Serious Sam DD for free from The Little Big Bunch from Get Games Go.

Likely the Humble Bundle one, since it is the most obvious.

So, we're about 20 hours in, and I still don't have an inventory! Come on Valve, what the hell are you doing?!

At this hour, likely sleeping.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Same here and the trick of checking my TF2 inventory isn't fixing it. I figured I'd just wait until I got another and see if they all update together before worrying too much about it. There's still plenty of time.

Yeah, none of the tricks are working for me either. Oh well.

TGMIII

If the accounts have games bound to them I doubt valve is going to do anything about it and to be honest if I even think for a second that they won't do anything for sure I'll be doing the same.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quick indie observations:

- American Conquest; bought it because it looked like an AoE2-era RTS about the conquest of the Americas. It is, but it's not a very good one. I only played the first Columbus mission. There are serious UI and game speed issues (game is very sluggish unless you set speed on max, then it's hyperactive). The core RTS model might be okay or it might not, but the UI issues are going to prevent me from diving any deeper. I'm not going to say not to buy it, but keep in mind what I just said.

- Fortix 2; awesome Qix clone with a fantasy theme. Absolutely recommend if you like Qix, Jezzball, etc.

ArjanN

Not sure why people are complaining about getting things they already own/don't want. The point is you're supposed to trade them. It's meant to get people to check out the trading/inventory system.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I've got a blue 50% off Valve game token and a lump of coal.

I've got all the Value games so happy to gift to someone.

The Blue coupons aren't good till after the sale. Hold onto it, wait for a Valve game to be the daily deal, and you will make some guy's day.

Not sure why people are complaining about getting things they already own/don't want. The point is you're supposed to trade them. It's meant to get people to check out the trading/inventory system.

Except nobody anywhere wants coupons. The games are cheaper now than they will be with coupons later.

If they were all golden coupons, sure.

But really TF2 hats would be more useful.

Doomshine

So, we're about 20 hours in, and I still don't have an inventory! Come on Valve, what the hell are you doing?!

Have you tried Spiral Knights? That fixed it for me. I played until I got to the camp and talked to everyone there, checked out my inventory and stuff like that.

Not sure what exactly fixed it, but when I checked my inventory in steam I had a Spiral Knights tab and the missing Steam tab.

ArjanN

Do you have to complete certain achievements before certain dates? Just did CSS, DoDS, and RO2 and planning to do Magicka, TF2, Dino Dday, Dungeon Defenders, etc. Note sure if I just wasted my time or not. Lol.

You can do them until the xmas event ends.

Is there a chance that maybe instead of coal or a gift it gives out items for TF2 or Spiral. Since I dont play either one it could have given me an item and I wouldn't know what is new.

coopolon

Thank god for demos! I almost bought Cargo based on some enthusiastic impressions in this thread, that would have been $5 poorly spent!

I really recommend anyone thinking about buying it try the demo.

Edit: Not to be a negative nancy, Orcs Must Die and Anomaly are both good games well worth their asking price!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, this should be in the OP likely. The rules have odds:

Gifts. For each Objective completed during the Holiday Sale Period, the entrant will have a one (1) in four (4) chance to receive a Gift from the Great Gift Pile. Completing one (1) Objective will produce one (1) chance to receive a Gift. If you complete an Objective and do not receive a Gift, you will receive a piece of Coal.

Though I think there is two types of gift, which the rules don't let on. The normal pool, for completing each objective, and the crafted kind, which I think is guaranteed a game.

coopolon

Oh, this should be in the OP likely. The rules have odds:

Gifts. For each Objective completed during the Holiday Sale Period, the entrant will have a one (1) in four (4) chance to receive a Gift from the Great Gift Pile. Completing one (1) Objective will produce one (1) chance to receive a Gift. If you complete an Objective and do not receive a Gift, you will receive a piece of Coal.

Though I think their is two types of gift, which the rules don't let on. The normal pool, for completing each objective, and the crafted kind, which I think is guaranteed a game.

What's the difference between normal and crafted? Edit: oh, crafted is making 7 coals into an item? No, someone got a coupon earlier in this thread from crafting 7 coals.

Stubo

Has anyone got Portal 2 as a gift from this promotion yet? That would tempt me into doing some of these achievements. I don't have much faith in winning anything via coal, pessimistic as that may sound :p

Oh, and if anyone wants my 25% off Valve games coupon for whatever reason, they're welcome to it (PM me).

pfkas

Got AAAAAAAA reckless disregard for gravity as a gift. Pretty pleased, was expecting to get something I already own.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just got it, after roughly 70 minutes. I was dealt two kings early on, but I went all in, resulting in everybody else folding.

Here is what I did:
If my hand had a king in it, Check/call. Do not do anything else, or they may fold. Just check and call.
If my hand didn't have a king it, fold and skip to next hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom