• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tambini

you can complete the achievement but i believe you won't get your gift until the day the achievement releases

Okay, do we know if its the other way round aswell? so if I completed orcs must die achievement tommorow, it would give me something?

KarmaCow

Okay, so got the Orcs Must Die winter cheevo, what do I do now? Never participated in any of the themed achievement things.

This is sorta new to everyone, but check your inventory (the mail icon on the top of the steam interface thing->View Inventory) and you should have received another lump of coal/coupon/game.

Sorry if this has been asked already but, do we know if we can complete achievments from other days and still unlock the gift?

I unlocked the Orcs Must Die achievement 2 days before the sale even started and got the gift today.

EDIT: bah beatean

Okay, do we know if its the other way round aswell? so if I completed orcs must die achievement tommorow, it would give me something?

If it's like the summer sale, probably. I'm going to say yes but I'm not sure. It would be pretty shitty if it wasn't the case.

MNC

Renegade Ops people who bought it on Steam. Check your DLC tab.

capture9yksg.png

We get free DLC? Cool.

StAidan

Well, I only own one of yesterday's games (Orcs Must Die), so I'm up to a 25% Valve coupon and 2 lumps of coal. Here's hoping for today!

Even if I don't win anything cool, this is a pretty ingenious promotion and it's fun to participate anyway.

Blarg. I'm never going to log into Steam on my laptop without backing up my categories again. It seems like 60% of the time I lose all of my sorting. What a colossal pain in the ass. It wouldn't even be as bad if games could be sorted more than one at a time. When are they going to fix that?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My inventory is still messed up, and I did the TF2 backup thing mentioned earlier in the thread. Hmmm.

It took a while after I did that for my inventory to start working, it didn't happen right away (I actually don't know if it had anything to do with that or if it just decided to start working). And I still can't unpack any gifts.

Garou

Booted up Poker Night and this is the first hand I got:

This actually unlocked the Three Kings achievement, probably a bug, so Full Houses involving Kings should be sufficient.
The other two cards were Heart 5 and 10.

Strongbad was stupid enough to go all-in one me

I believe you need at least own one purchased game to trade.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but don't they disallow accounts without paid games on them to give in trades with other users? Much like free TF2 account can't give items?
Correct. It says in the rules. Of course I assume redeeming a Steam key os Humble Bundle or Indiegala take care of those.

But to be honest part of me wants to see it crazily farmed to show how flawed random chance is (all you get is people doing the only way to beat chance; the buy every number lottery ticket=always win approach) though at the same time if Valve starts to ban people over it things will get crazy.

Prophane33

I wonder how long into the sale it's going to be before people start offering things for coal.

I'm sure some people near the last day will need just one or two more pieces to get something.

It took a while after I did that for my inventory to start working, it didn't happen right away (I actually don't know if it had anything to do with that or if it just decided to start working). And I still can't unpack any gifts.

I'm on my phone and don't even have access to the internet on my computer right now so I can't even start tf2 :(

Have games that are already 75% off w/o the Daily Deal ever go on Daily Deal?

It's happened before. But if it's a game that's like under five dollars now and you're going to play it today, go for it. The most you'll save is a dollar or two. But if it's something that's just going to sit in your list for days or weeks
(or months or years),
might as well wait until the last day of the sale just to be sure.

TGMIII

Please guys tell me I'm not the only one who can't see the stuff in his inventory.

I have the same issue and it's been like this since 7PM yesterday (3PM where I am now). Apparently logging into TF2 or Spiral knights will fix it so I'll try that once I'm home.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Looks like people are already getting golden coupons (which you can use right now and add to the existing discounts). I found this on SPUF

330x192

Also, I've already heard of people abusing the coal system creating multiple accounts and getting coal or even games. One guy said he got Portal 2 for free on his 12th account :/ I sure hope Valve will notice and take action.

I got Portal 2 on one of my TF2 smurfs and gave it to my friend.

Strange I never got a free gift, I got one for looking at an empty inventory and one for Orcs Must Die

The inventory shouldn't have been empty. Although it was pretty glitchy yesterday. I know that people looked and saw nothing and then looked later and their gift was there.

I got Super Meat Boy (which I already have)

I've only completed one objective (the one to look in the inventory). I don't have the other games.

Do you guys see Skyrim going for less than 54 U.S. and is the retail version Steamworks?

Also you guys own me an opinion of Death Island. What's a most get price and how fun is it compared to say Left 4 Dead. :)

TGMIII

Do you guys see Skyrim going for less than 54 U.S. and is the retail version Steamworks?

Also you guys own me an opinion of Death Island. What's a most get price and how fun is it compared to say Left 4 Dead. :)

All retail versions of Skyrim are steamworks.

I found dead island to be amazingly boring, it's not really comparable to L4D other than the fact that it has zombies in it and you kill them.

Bumhead

Banned
All retail versions of Skyrim are steamworks.

I found dead island to be amazingly boring, it's not really comparable to L4D other than the fact that it has zombies in it and you kill them.

You've been massively miss-sold if you bought Dead Island on the recommendation that its like Left 4 Dead..

ArjanN

your pretty much screwed if you got a Valve voucher:

Newkt.png

On Steam I see plenty of stupid people who don't own all of Valve's games already. I'm sure there will be people trading TF2 items for them after the xmas event is over.

Then when Half-Life 3 comes out in 2099 trade your TF2 hats for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom