• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
MrBob said:
There is an easy way to do the Pyschonauts chieve.

First, grab the save file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?73rlq7b1h57ub8b

Next, unzip the save file here:

Steam\steamapps\common\psychonauts\Profiles

You will have have to start a new game of pyschonauts to create the Profiles folder. After the profiles folder is created, delete the Profile 1 folder you created with the downloaded profile 1 folder. Then load up the game and continue.

Use psychokinesis to set a squirrel and bird on fire. Once they burn up they'll drop food. Just need to collect one of each for the chieve.

I haven't played this game on PC or at all in a few years, but I literally can't figure out how to use the Pyro, I press the button and nothing seems to happen. Thoughts?

Cheesed AI war (C4SC4 had a save he adapted); got Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Now, onto Dungeons of Dredmor....
...Which was another "useless" coupon. 50% off Tales of Monkey Island...its 33% off currently which makes my "it'll be a daily" sense tingle.

I would hazard a guess the Steam page got it wrong and its 25% chance of getting coal. Then again I could just be the ~1% that got coal less than statically expected.

Chaos

Damnit, you guys talked me into Dungeons of Dredmore... at $1.24, it is like Android game price.

Even if you dont like it you can try for the achievement :)

Seen this on the steam forums -

1. get/find a Porta-Still (start as alchemist to get one)
2. Get a diggle egg from Diggle monster obviously
3. buy some grog from the vending machine
4. get some aqua vitae (start as alchemist to get one)
5. use porta-still to craft it (3 tab last one is the item you need)

Chesskid1

Banned
I haven't played this game on PC or at all in a few years, but I literally can't figure out how to use the Pyro, I press the button and nothing seems to happen. Thoughts?

it took me a white to figure it out. you have to do the mind control thing to set them on fire, not the one that shoots the laser thingy.

i'm using controller and had to hit left on the control pad and map it somehow. was kinda confusing.

hope i kinda helped, doubt it though haha.

when you are near a squirrel/bird they glow, then do the mind melt thingy.

Hylian7

I did the Spiral Knights achievement and got another piece of coal, fuck. Hopefully I'll have better luck with Psychonauts and Dungeons of Dredmor.

TOFk3.png

That's pretty bad.

The only one screwed up is war of north, you screwed up on the batman.

Is search absolutely fucked for anyone else? If I search for a game it always comes back with zero results. I have to little click through categories to get to games. So frustrating.

Vilifier

Neo Member
I won my first prize, received Titan Quest. I bought Psychonauts & Costume Quest from the daily deals. Tropico 4 was very tempting, but maybe I'll pick it up next time.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
That's what happens when you play it strictly for the achievements. The game is (was?) pretty good when you're not forcing it for a hat.

Ding. The achievement takes a bit of luck and you have to have some funds to get access to the area. It was no problem for me since I enjoy the game.

If anyone is interested in giving away their games (as opposed to trading them), I want to remind you that I'll be hosting a gift-giving bingo game tonight at 7PM EST. If you have a game youd like to give away, please PM me the info and it will be given away to a lucky bingo winner.

Thanks to all, and happy holidays!

where do I sign up for that bingo?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I got dungeons or dreadmore instead of Orcs Must Die, I trust you GAF.

Well, I was busy yesterday. Otherwise you'd have a large post about Orcs Must Die as well. Consider picking it up later. Its more fun than it seems.

You choose poorly.

Nope, he didnt. He just only made 50% of the good decision and needs to follow through with the other 50% later ;)

cicero

Its not good, Recettear is/was ace though.
Chantelise is Recettear without originality and more stupid mmo hack and slay farming.

Wish I had seen this before I bought Chantelise... It was between that and Costume Quest, clearly I picked the lesser of the two.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Geez, dont make him feel bad. Both are fun games.

Remfin

BTW I don't remember anyone pointing this out (even when it was being mentioned), but did anyone else notice they raised the price for The Last Remnant for this sale? It went from $40->$50. I hope that bodes "well" for an attempt at an eye-catching daily (90% off?), but it could mean SquareEnix are being dicks and trying to pad the "savings" on their publisher catalog...

coopolon

it took me a white to figure it out. you have to do the mind control thing to set them on fire, not the one that shoots the laser thingy.

i'm using controller and had to hit left on the control pad and map it somehow. was kinda confusing.

hope i kinda helped, doubt it though haha.

when you are near a squirrel/bird they glow, then do the mind melt thingy.

I can select it, but I can't figure out what button it is mapped to. I press every button on the controller and it doesn't do it. I guess this is what I get for just trying to get the achievement, I just don't want to play the first hour and a half of the game since I know I'm not going to finish it right now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've picked up Chantelise today.

.... get off my internet.

It's a charming game with funny dialogue, but I have to agree with StuBurns. Costume Quest is a 4-hours RPG that offers no challenge at all and circles around a really light Paper Mario-like battle system.

I paid full price for it on PSN and I don't regret it, but I really can't see what makes some love it so much.

Gowans

OK guys I'll cross my fingers it goes on sale again and follow up.

I'm playing Dungeon Defenders instead of OMD at the mo and couldn't justify two at the same time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Its not good, Recettear is/was ace though.
Chantelise is Recettear without originality and more stupid mmo hack and slay farming.

Figured as much. I might still buy Chantelise anyways, since I loved Recettear, but it doesn't look nearly as interesting. It'll be worth the price if my cash can go towards the creation of Recettear 2, there are so many awesome things they could do with a sequel.

I can select it, but I can't figure out what button it is mapped to. I press every button on the controller and it doesn't do it. I guess this is what I get for just trying to get the achievement, I just don't want to play the first hour and a half of the game since I know I'm not going to finish it right now.

You have to hold the attack/"shoot" button to get him to set things on fire. Maybe that's the issue you're having.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm trying to do the Dungeons of Dredmor achieve. What a horrible game. I open my alchemy thing, but none of the items I can make say what they are.

Is there a trick to knowing which is the Diggle Nog?

Didn't GAF hype this game up? smh

Toma

Figured as much. I might still buy Chantelise anyways, since I loved Recettear, but it doesn't look nearly as interesting. It'll be worth the price if my cash can go towards the creation of Recettear 2, there are so many awesome things they could do with a sequel.

Yeah, same reasoning on my side. But people shouldnt expect a great, or even good game. Chantelise is definitely the better experience.

It's a charming game with funny dialogue, but I have to agree with StuBurns. Costume Quest is a 4-hours RPG that offers no challenge at all and circles around a really light Paper Mario-like battle system.

I paid full price for it on PSN and I don't regret it, but I really can't see what makes some love it so much.

For me, it's all the charm. Kind of like how EarthBound, just as an RPG, is basic and forgettable but everything else about it is so good. Costume Quest is loaded with charm and I loved the humor.

Toma

I'm trying to do the Dungeons of Dredmor achieve. What a horrible game. I open my alchemy thing, but none of the items I can make say what they are.

Is there a trick to knowing which is the Diggle Nog?

Didn't GAF hype this game up? smh

Thats one tiny complaint about a game. But yeah, I am annoyed by that currently as well. Might be a bug. Hopefully.

Solution posted by Chaos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9J4oToSwA

atomsk

Party Pooper

personally I'm waiting on Fortune Summoners instead, that game looks more interesting to me

Toma

Anyone still considering DoD? ;)

Dungeons of Dredmor
Gaf Thread
WTF video review
E8eVN.png

What is it?
Its a roguelike. So, basically you go down a dungeon, kill monsters, get loot and use the loot to kill more monsters. If you never played such a game before, I'd like to mention that these kind of games often have a straight forward highscoring feeling to it. "How many points on my last run?", "Lets try the same char build to see who manages to kill better monsters!" and the likes. Due to that they also belong to the "Losing is Fun" game category since you are motivated to try and try again, next time with better knowledge how to play and other skills to use if you so fancy.

But arent Roguelikes supposedly all hard?
Yes, as mentioned above you wont finish it in your first sitting. But thats the whole POINT! See it as a metagame to improve your skills before actually beating the boss. All the while, the DoD developers made a pretty darn great job to include customization options to cater to different people. If you dont want to get beaten too hard, just go easy and non permanent deaths and you'll get along quite nicely if you want. And if you want it hard... well.. just look at this:
BILCB.png

Believe me, you wont like seeing those so called Monster Zoos on Hard.

So lets get to the AWESOME!
This game shows you the necessities of using every inch of possibility you have to survive. You can chose one of 7 skill trees, which all differ greatly and each contain at least 5 skills. Here is a picture of all the skills:
hPbv1.png

The blurry skills are expansion skills, and it will be more than your moneys worth to try them all out. I guess it might take you about 15-20 hours to try all of them. Good value for one buck spent, eh? I'll tell you about the Expansion in a second. But coming back to the skills: How about playing a vegan emo Axe-using Viking Pirate Vampire? Its amazing to see how the skills affect playing style. My first 20 hours of playing this game was basically almost only with random skills to try every single one of them. The game makes you WANT to try all of them since discovering them or even synergies between skills can be extremely rewarding. Its just fun trying out everything.
And then, in the level, you are scraping for every advantage. May it be the mushrooms you can grow or the health you get from enemies as vampire, its amazing how the game, or better your approach to the game, changes depending on which style you choose.

Other than that, its filled with gaming jokes, and lots (and I mean LOTS) of loot to be found. It just doesnt get boring.

DLC? Worth buying?
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yeeees

Seriously though, it just adds more to the base game. An option to play with 5 levels more of the dungeon (15 instead of 10), more level variety, more skills, more loot, basically just more fun.

Verdict:
Don't know what else to say, if these...:

- Fun & Funny
- Lots of Loot
- Playable in short bursts, or devote more attention if you like it
- Doesn't get boring
- Itching the "just one more try" part of our brains
- Still cared about by the devs, just adding a quite substantial patch and even DLC
- Super cheap with one buck
- Support a very promising Indie Dev

...don't convince you, then not much will.

Toma

So 5 minutes to get Bunch of Heroes, or not. Is it worth the $2.50?

Bugged, tedious and abandoned by the developers. And not a single even somewhat positive Gaf opinion (that I know of).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can Dredmor run on pretty much anything? Looks like it could be a good game to play on-the-go with my shitty netbook. It can run Terraria with some minor frame dips, but Super Meat Boy is too demanding for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom